What are some good non-death/black metal bands?

Here's my suggestions:

Newer Sentenced
Newer Katatonia
Evergrey
Asgaroth
Borknagar
Vintersorg
Falkenbach
In the Woods
Primal Fear
Battlelore
Into Eternity

Did you mean you wanted to hear more bands with clean vocals though, is that what your saying? All of the above have clean vocals, but a good portion of them also have screaming vocalists.

How about some folk/viking/nordic? :)

Moonsorrow
Finntroll
Ensiferum
new Bathory
Thyrfing
Turisas
Månegarm
Bal-Sagoth
Korpiklaani
Ancient Rites
Ásmegin
Falkenbach

Those should get you started!

Some excellent newer power metal bands that don't suck Gandalf's dick or wish they were Helloween:
Brainstorm
Wuthering Heights
Pagan's Mind
Manticora (buy Hyperion NOW)
Eidolon
Crimson Glory
Seven Witches (also check out Helstar, original speed metal band of singer James Rivera...better, methinks.)

Go to www.metal-archives.com for info, reviews and links.

Oh, and if you don't already own the first five W.A.S.P. albums and everything Judas Priest has ever released (especially the seventies material), you are missing out massively.

Manticora are one of the only newer power metal bands that I've heard rely on a mainly riff-based structure in their music and avoid theatrical silliness (not used as a putdown, though it may seem that way). Thumbs up to them.

Yeah, the guy who recommended them to me is a big Sonata Arctica and Rhapsody fan, so I was a little wary...but then I downloaded "Keeper of Time" from their official website, and was utterly blown away.

Trust me, folks, if you thought power metal was for limp-wristed D&D players and members of the Society of Creative Anachronisms, you need to check this fucking band out.