What ANUS have been saying about the newer death/black metal bands

Status
Not open for further replies.

MURAI

-
Nov 6, 2002
Canada
According to the people at Anus.com, newer death metal bands around today they have this "the angrier the better" attitude therefore making their music a big parody. Also they say black metal is getting stagnant with newer bands sporting this whiney I hate everyone stance.

So what do you think about the newer death/black metal bands of today? I prefer the earlier death metal to the new ones but still I do like a bunch of later death metal.

I don't listen to bands that don't sacrifice goats and virgins live.

No seriously. I don't care. If I like the music, I listen to it. Even if they're called Coldplay.

When it comes to Anus' opinions of newer death metal bands, they are partly right. Earlier death metal bands generally put more emphasis on atmosphere and interesting riffs - Dismember, early Entombed, Morbid Angel, Autopsy, and so on are good examples. Thing is, all music genres evolve. It's not weird that a brutal and angry genre becomes more extreme over time. It's just a natural development of the genre. I'm not saying that more extreme = better music, but you do have to thread some new grounds and not rehash the old-school sound over and over. I enjoy über-brutal-hyperfast-n-angry bands such as Brodequin, Liturgy, Inveracity, Exhumed, Skinless and the likes as much as I enjoy Morbid Angel's and Dismember's earlier efforts. To be honest, I actually prefer newer bands to older in most cases. This may have something to do with me being a historyless arsehole.

What can be argued, is, of course, that some bands use brutality and angriness to overshadow their incapacity of writing decent tracks. But myself, I'm happy with the current situation.

I must admit that I've not been bothered with reading most of newer black metal band's lyrics, so my opinion on that particular matter is, I guess, invalid. Anyhow, I can't say I've noticed that black metal has turned whiney. If that be the fact, I don't really give a shit, because there are a lot of interesting black metal bands out there. There is no need to complain, I think, when bands like Deathspell Omega, Leviathan, Taake, Koldbrann, even Darkthrone, keep releasing mind-blowing records.

Who gives a fuck?
Anus is made up of angry geeks with internet access.

There are some great death metal bands around today, some decent ones and alot of shitty ones. The same as it's ever been.

Prozak rarely gives off the impression of being angry. He does, however, give the impression that he's completely given up on new metal to the point of slating virtually all new bands that get a lot of praise in elitist circles - The Chasm, for example. He's obviously right though, there's less creativity these days than there used to be.

Oh no, the ANUS boogeymen hate me. I'm pretty sure I'm on their hitlist of what, 5,899,567,273?

Their reviews are fucking ridiculous as well. So are their laughable Thrash and Speed Metal sections.:rolleyes:

The reviews could be more concise and less ridiculously ott language-wise, but he has good taste. The thrash and speed sections are perfectly fine, he certainly makes a better definition of what they are than the usual one: "speed is like, not quite power but it's not like thrash either, man".

Guardian of Darkness said:
The reviews could be more concise and less ridiculously ott language-wise, but he has good taste. The thrash and speed sections are perfectly fine, he certainly makes a better definition of what they are than the usual one: "speed is like, not quite power but it's not like thrash either, man".

So you think Voivod, Prong and Nuclear Assault are Speed Metal?

Fuck off nowadays elitists.

EDIT: By the way, their entire Thrash section =
Corrosion of Conformity
Cryptic Slaughter
Dirty Rotten Imbeciles

lmao.

Jean-Pierre said:
So you think Voivod, Prong and Nuclear Assault are Speed Metal?

Fuck off nowadays elitists.

EDIT: By the way, their entire Thrash section =
Corrosion of Conformity
Cryptic Slaughter
Dirty Rotten Imbeciles

lmao.

Argh, arguing the definitions of speed and thrash metal has suddenly become the most annoying topic. Prozak at least writes two definitions that make sense and are clearly separate. More than most people manage.

Prozak obviously doesn't know much about Speed And Thrash if his entire list consists of three bands that are not Thrash or Speed. Regardless of his own personal definition.

Yeah, that's because a lot of people don't know jack shit. For the final time (you can post this when you close any threads on the subject):

Speed Metal: TRADITIONAL METAL SPED UP.

Yeah, which hardly warrants its own genre name. Sure, Prozak's genre-definitions never really caught on and therefore they're pretty useless, but at least there's a logical and obvious difference between his two definitions.

There's a substantial difference between Speed Metal and Heavy Metal. Thus, it is a genre just as much as any other.

Status
Not open for further replies.