Death Metal/Black metal

So you're calling God an asshole? BLASPHEMER! Why don't you go post on the satanic forum and kill little kids and stuff? SATANIST FAGGOT.

And for the record, I always used to go on these little ownage rampages, they were just in between my witty posts on o/t. But now that forum bores the crap out of me.

I used to be the same way, didn't know the difference at all. Now it's as easy as telling black from white. I guess you really do need to listen to both genre's for a while, then you start to notice the differences in them, like deep, growling vocals more common in death and longer, higher pitched growling in black and other crap I'm too lazy to list.

By the way, as I scrolled down the page I noticed a little argument going on. Too bad I was too lazy to read it, looked kind of funny.

EDIT: Ah hell, I'm a loser, took the time to read it. Nothing special, just your average 'Let's argue over silly rubbish like which genre a band falls under'

Uhuh, I was being an idiot earlier. I maintain my point however, that Cradle of Filth are not black metal. If you think they are, that's ok, but I 100% believe that you are wrong. They are gothic metal if anything.

Profånity said:
1-:lol: so you're telling me Cannibal Corpse sound the same as Therion?

2 - If that's your real opinion you can't be a true music fan.

You still use genre's to define what you should listen to? Yeh your really a music fan... :Smug:

Mournful Death said:
Ironic. Anotherwards, anyone who disagrees with me is a "fuckin' fool" supposedly, however if you're opinion is that a band isn't black metal, than a person who thinks CoF are black metal should be informed they are wrong? I was unaware you're opinions are facts... I apologise.
God when are you morons going to give this up, COF were never BM and anyone who says they are is talking out of their ass. Just to make it a wee bit clearer for you: IT ISN'T AN OPINION, IT'S A FACT. YOU ARE WRONG, WE ARE RIGHT, GET OVER IT!

HardSide said:
You still use genre's to define what you should listen to? Yeh your really a music fan... :Smug:
No, he was saying that anyone who thinks Therion sound like Cannibal Corpse can't have fully working ears. Pay attention.

Necro Joe, if you had actually read any of my posts you would have realised I wasn't saying Cradle of Filth are a black metal band; I did say they had black metal elements. And the argument wasn't even necessarily about whether or not CoF are black metal. I can't be fucked to even make my point any clearer.

Mournful

Thrash is a mixture of NWOBHM, speed metal and extreme hardcore. It uses a fast pace, a staccato, chunky guitar riffing style, and aggressive vocals. Venom were one of the biggest influences on the style although many people think it didn't start till Exodus, Overkill and Metallica. (Joe recommends: Slayer, Kreator and Dark Angel).

Death metal grew out of thrash in the late 80's it uses lower tuned riffs, chaotic song structures, deeper growled vocals and usually morbid lyrical themes. Slayer had a major influence on death in the same way Venom did on thrash but Possessed were arguably the first death metal band. (Joe recommends: Autopsy, Morbid Angel and mid-period Carcass).

Profånity said:
1-:lol: so you're telling me Cannibal Corpse sound the same as Therion?
2 - If that's your real opinion you can't be a true music fan.

No, obviously they don't sound the same, my mistake was in lumping together the terms 'death' and 'black'. I've heard those terms interchanged fairly often (for example, the argument here about CoF being black) and I was under the impression they were two ways of saying the same thing...but thanks to the articles posted here by DEMIURGE, I understand that they're describing two completely different genres. So, originally I should have said something like:

So what's with all these death metal bands sounding alike?

Granted bands grouped together in any genre will tend to have the same sound...but there's usually actual songwriting involved and each band will have its own compositional style. Is the point of death metal to listen to something that's total disorder and chaos? There's no composition in that. So the lyrics are cool. They are. But what's the point of writing cool lyrics if you're just gonna scream and not even be understood?

Now don't get me wrong, I ain't here to bash death metal. Unlike some who just come here to bash other people's opinions, I'm actually interested in hearing more on this.

There are many different sounding death metal bands. There are many things to appreciate about many death metal bands. Firstly, go to the various recent threads about death metal and listen to some of the albums that are recommended. As you begin to get more experienced, you'll get more interested and you'll begin to appreciate the music.

wnterbass said:
So what's with all these death metal bands sounding alike?

Granted bands grouped together in any genre will tend to have the same sound...but there's usually actual songwriting involved and each band will have its own compositional style. Is the point of death metal to listen to something that's total disorder and chaos? There's no composition in that. So the lyrics are cool. They are. But what's the point of writing cool lyrics if you're just gonna scream and not even be understood?

Now don't get me wrong, I ain't here to bash death metal. Unlike some who just come here to bash other people's opinions, I'm actually interested in hearing more on this.
For someone that's doesn't have enough experience with death metal, I can see why you think a lot of death metal sound alike. The same could be said about power metal. Check these bands out:

Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris
Death - Leprosy or Human
Mithras - Worlds Beyond The Veil
Aeternus - ...And So The Night Became (not pure death metal), Ascension Of Terror (brutal death)
Cynic - Focus
Pestilence - Testimony Of The Ancients

wnterbass said:
Maybe I'm missin something. I hear all this talk about people's fav albums by this or that death metal band or black metal band but, how the hell do ya tell em apart? I don't mean death and black metal, I mean the bands themselves. They all sound the same to me. I've borrowed albums from time to time, no luck. What am I missing?
Intelligence

Necro Joe said:
Thrash is a mixture of NWOBHM, speed metal and extreme hardcore. It uses a fast pace, a staccato, chunky guitar riffing style, and aggressive vocals. Venom were one of the biggest influences on the style although many people think it didn't start till Exodus, Overkill and Metallica. (Joe recommends: Slayer, Kreator and Dark Angel).

Death metal grew out of thrash in the late 80's it uses lower tuned riffs, chaotic song structures, deeper growled vocals and usually morbid lyrical themes. Slayer had a major influence on death in the same way Venom did on thrash but Possessed were arguably the first death metal band. (Joe recommends: Autopsy, Morbid Angel and mid-period Carcass).

Weren't Venom also very influential to Black Metal? Even more so then for Thrash?