What ANUS have been saying about the newer death/black metal bands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember how melodic death kind of snuck up on us back in the day?

How do you know the new innovations aren't just over the horizon?

Exactly. There's yet to be a band who accurately combines grind and black metal (and I don't mean Watchmaker-style...I mean full-speed drum machine gore/Satan style). There's yet to be a band that combines folk and industrial metal.

I may be mistaken, but aren't Marduk black/grind? Isn't that what "norsecore" supposedly is? (I hate the term.)

No, Marduk are just horrible black metal. People call them grind because every newbie who has heard a bit of grind thinks it's all noise and blasting.

Well, it's an honest mistake. Black metal and grind both have similarities to punk, and with hyperblasting, black metal could pass as quasi-grind, could it not? I'm asking in total naïveity here.

What could be pretty cool if done well would be brutal death with clean vocals. Sung ultra-chromatically, even Sprechstimme-like. It would be really odd, but it could work.

i love ANUS dot com they use multisyllabic words straight out of acedemia to justify their membership in what is an essentially nerdy little subculture that no one gives a shit about.

hail deyus pater, the sky father of true indo-european metal gods.

I appreciate Anus.com for being a serious website that at least tries to be a usefull source of information. I also like how they try to lift Metal from the beer-drinking manowar-fan cliche to more intellectual circles. -I think Metal is way too less appreciated by those people who are into classical music and so on, who tell the publich which music is sophisticated and which is not.
IMO quality metal should be appreciated as the art which it is.

On the other hand most of their reviews are more or less useless to me because i am not into musical theory at all, so they sound like empty rhetorics to me.
They are way to dogmatic as well.
I also think they miss aspects of the music, because they are totally concentrated on some musical theory and structure and all their interpretations are based on that.
They ignore other aspects like the general atmosphere and feeling and other things, so they miss and slag off some quality music.

I like much of their essays on the other hand and i agree with most of what they say about modern extreme metal.
Many black metal bands are producing nothing new, and most Death Metal bands are just boring "agression".
Still, there are exceptions and if they do not listen to any newer bands at all, they miss something.

Status
Not open for further replies.