Blackened Death Metal

I still don't understand why so many people think Belphegor suck. I'd much rather listen to Belphegor than a mediocre Transylvanian Hunger clone pure bm band.

anti-Mainstream since never....

just fuckin with ya! to each their own I guess...

The Last Supper by Belphegor isn't bad at all.

Anyway, these are good.

Amon (Che) - Shemhamforash!
Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence
Darkified - A Dance On The Grave
Belial (Fin) Gods of the Pit / Wisdom of Darkness

That's what I'd consider real blackened Death Metal.

So what kind of riff techniques make music blackened death? All blackened death I've heard has high growls/screams for vocals and one of Zyklon's riffs sounds sraight of of Anthems by Emperor. Is it just tremoloing part of the time, playing palm mutes in death metal fashion half the time, most Blackened Death has good production.

How the fuck is Belphegor mainstream? Generic, perhaps. Mainstream, no. I wouldn't even put them in the same class as Dimmu Borgir and CoF in terms of extreme metal with populist appeal.

i can agree with Cof and belphegor, but dimmu is good. ur right though alot of that stuff is quite generic, recycled crap. behemoth, goatwhore and Dissection, truly stick out.

Behemoth has the same cookie cutter digital production that every Pro Tooled band has.
Hey, leave me out of this argument.

behemoth does not have shitty production. they go into the studio and are tight straight away, why diss the band? could u actually write better songs or record better?/
I think Behemoth's production is fine, however your argument is one of my pet peeves. Just because you can't do something as well as someone, doesn't mean you can't recognize what is good or not.

I haven't heard any blackened death that really impressed me. I'm not a big fan of Zyklon, and I'm one of the few people who doesn't like any Dissection. Bands like God Dethroned don't interest me much either.
Agreed on all accounts. I find that you and I have very similar tastes in BM :kickass: .

I actually started writing a response to this thread when it was first started but had to leave, so here now is my original response:

I really like both Black metal and Death metal, but I really do not like black/death anymore. I used to be a big fan of Behemoth and Naglfar, but I have cooled on them. I find that what I want from Death metal and what I want from Black are too far removed from each other to mix well. I often feel that black/death compromises what makes both genres great to me, in order to meld the two together. For example, many Naglfar songs I feel could be more atmospheric and organic like pure black metal, and many Behemoth songs could be heavier and thicker like pure death metal. Overall I feel that these two genres function better by themselves than mashed together.

i like so much... my favorite bands:

Centurian
Angel Corpse
Hate Eternal
Behemoth
Rebaelliun (r.i.p.)
Miasma
Deicide
Calvary Death (r.i.p)

cool thread:kickass:

Hate eternal isn't "blackened" death metal wtf.

I'm glad you labelled behemoth in this category as it pisses me off when people call them death metal.