DEBATE - can metal be as good if the ideology is not there?

Think about it this way. Art is an expression of its creator, yes? Its creator, a particular person or group of people, are all made up of their own ideologies, whether it's a hatred of Christianity, a love of money or a dislike of elvish food. Some will be present in the music more than others, but ALL music is an expression of the creator, and therefore that creator's ideology.

To say that ideology is completely irrelevant and unimportant is asinine. To say that it is all that matters is also very stupid. You can listen to music and ignore ideology, but you have to at least acknowledge that it is there. Ideology and aesthetics are inseparable in music.

I would agree there. Everything has an ideology that pretty much can't be ignored, what matters is just how you approach it. You can delve yourself in it full-on, or vice versa, but its always there. Most of the time though I tend not to care, as I find myself and my own thoughts more important that what the creator is thinking.

However, to bring this full circle, it must be reiterated that ideology is not the be-all end-all of metal music, and style or subgenre does not depend on any ideologies that may be present at the time of initial conception of the style or subgenre.

Therefore, it is possible to have right-wing punk and Christain black metal.

black metal, as far as i can gather is defined by its ideaology. once the idealogy is gone, you are left with death metal.

i may be wrong, so feel free to deinfe black metal some other way, but thats my understanding of it.

i think music has to have some kind of emotion or ideology to make good music. I think a band with more emotion is way better than a bands like disturbed and linkin park who just make music to get popular. If a band has some emotion or ideology they most likley make better music because they have something behind them pushing them to make it better. I think thats why metal bands usually have alot of good albums unlike nu-metal, pop, and rap who's albums are half good and half sucky. i think a band doesnt need ideology, but they do need some emotion or something to play for. Besides i want to make the most popular music.