Is Black Metal more concerned about the aesthetic than all other forms of metal?

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
I think this may be a rhetorical question, however I would like to get people talking about it. It seems to me, that most black metal bands use their music much like the classical greats: to set a mood ( usually of angst ), create a grim pagan image, inspire an ideology, celebrate nature etc. What is most interesting to me, is how the music totally exists to serve one of these purposes; its not about showing off musical prowess, or even watering the music down to serve a broad general audience(unless the band is Cradle of FIlth). However, has Black metal gone too far in serving this purpose? Has black metal become too dependent on ideology, mood etc, and not enough on the actual arrangement and power of the music? Just some questions i was thinking of, and i have unfortunately perhaps written my conclusion within the confines of this thread.

Lets seperate this argument from the Dark Funerals, Marduks, and Kovenants, that really dont apply to this discussion.

speed said:
geek.jpg

I think this may be a rhetorical question, however I would like to get people talking about it. It seems to me, that most black metal bands use their music much like the classical greats: to set a mood ( usually of angst ), create a grim pagan image, inspire an ideology, celebrate nature etc. What is most interesting to me, is how the music totally exists to serve one of these purposes; its not about showing off musical prowess, or even watering the music down to serve a broad general audience(unless the band is Cradle of FIlth). However, has Black metal gone too far in serving this purpose? Has black metal become too dependent on ideology, mood etc, and not enough on the actual arrangement and power of the music? Just some questions i was thinking of, and i have unfortunately perhaps written my conclusion within the confines of this thread.

Lets seperate this argument from the Dark Funerals, Marduks, and Kovenants, that really dont apply to this discussion.

Black IS more than just music. Black Metal bands depend heavily on idealogy and philosophy, be it nihilism, satanism or whatever.

Anyone who says black metal is just music is an imbecile.

Well it's music but it has so much more to it.

The Kovenant shouldn't be in the discussion mainly because everything after Nexus Polaris isn't black metal, but in times before the light is a great album :) the first black metal album i ever had the chance to experience \m/

Well, there are certainly a lot of black metal bands now who have absolutely no originality and seem to be attempting to garner the worst levels of production possible, but I don't think they're using aesthetic as an excuse for their lack of innovation. There are still a number of bands expressing the old ideals but innovating their music, regardless.

I don't think aesthetic has ever really been that important to black metal. Sure, there is an emphasis on 'grim' production which may aid the music somewhat, but the compositional merit of good music with stand out regardless of production.

Guardian of Darkness said:
To state the obvious, great composition is the main factor for making great BM, or at least that's what the guys over at Anus.com tell me.