Metal more global oriented than other genres

metal_wrath

I dip my forefinger...
Mar 20, 2006
...in the watery blood
I have found Metal to be more global than any other genre I can think of. The music has been done successfully by bands all over the world. However other forms of music have not had the same level of success internationally.

Metal has been produced and been greatly progressed by bands from many different countries and in other languages although mostly in English.

When it comes to other genres they seem to not translate as well and haven't been successfully reproduced in other countries than where they were started.

You don't see many critically acclaimed Swedish rap groups or rock groups for that matter. Of course there are many, but they have not had internationally renown. There are not many Brazilian jazz groups that I know of, or Norwegian soul groups. Alot of these types of music seem to be a more regional phenomena although these styles are widely appreciated on an international level.

Metal does not seem to be a regional phenomena at all, to it's credit.

I have found Metal to be more global than any other genre I can think of. The music has been done successfully by bands all over the world. However other forms of music have not had the same level of success internationally.

Metal has been produced and been greatly progressed by bands from many different countries and in other languages although mostly in English.

When it comes to other genres they seem to not translate as well and haven't been successfully reproduced in other countries than where they were started.

You don't see many critically acclaimed Swedish rap groups or rock groups for that matter. Of course there are many, but they have not had internationally renown. There are not many Brazilian jazz groups that I know of, or Norwegian soul groups. Alot of these types of music seem to be a more regional phenomena although these styles are widely appreciated on an international level.

Metal does not seem to be a regional phenomena at all, to it's credit.

Metal does not have the same success as other music genres but you are right about it being a regional phenomena.I also think metal has the most loyal fan base of any music genres.You don't see bluegrass fans in the middle east but you do see metal fans there.There are metal bands everywere even in small countrys like Iraq.I don't think there is any country bands in Sweden but see a lot of metal bands from there.

You don't see many critically acclaimed Swedish rap groups or rock groups for that matter. Of course there are many, but they have not had internationally renown.

I would have to disagree, and here is my concrete proof:

Famous Swedish Rock Groups (a handful of the vast amounts of them might I add) in alphabetical order:
-The Ark
-The Cardigans
-Europe
-Hardcore Superstar
-The Hellacopters
-The Hives
-Kent
-Mustach
-The Sounds
-Soundtrack of Our Lives
-Teddybears

Famous Swedish Rap Artists:
-Infinite Mass
-Looptroop
-Million Stylez
-Papa Dee
-Promoe
-Quincy Jones III

That should be enough..

To be honest, I disagree with the argument, I find that the only form of music that isn't globally oriented is the folk music of the region..that is because almost every culture already has their own version of that! I mean pop, rock, metal, hiphop, trance, electronica, reggae (yes reggae!), jazz etc etc are all very globally oriented in my opinion and there are many successful artists from many countries in that genre

I think the fundamental problem here is..if you are just a very casual fan of the genre you might not know about them! I don't know your tastes, but I'm going to take a gander and assume that you are first and foremost a metal fan..so if some American dude comes up to you and says that the Czech republic doesn't have any black metal bands, you can laugh at his face and school him...likewise I'd think most of us would have the same problem with a genre like Reggae, where we would assume that Jamaica is the only place this type of music comes from

I would have to disagree, and here is my concrete proof:

Famous Swedish Rock Groups (a handful of the vast amounts of them might I add) in alphabetical order:
-The Ark
-The Cardigans
-Europe
-Hardcore Superstar
-The Hellacopters
-The Hives
-Kent
-Mustach
-The Sounds
-Soundtrack of Our Lives
-Teddybears

Famous Swedish Rap Artists:
-Infinite Mass
-Looptroop
-Million Stylez
-Papa Dee
-Promoe
-Quincy Jones III

That should be enough..

To be honest, I disagree with the argument, I find that the only form of music that isn't globally oriented is the folk music of the region..that is because almost every culture already has their own version of that! I mean pop, rock, metal, hiphop, trance, electronica, reggae (yes reggae!), jazz etc etc are all very globally oriented in my opinion and there are many successful artists from many countries in that genre

I think the fundamental problem here is..if you are just a very casual fan of the genre you might not know about them! I don't know your tastes, but I'm going to take a gander and assume that you are first and foremost a metal fan..so if some American dude comes up to you and says that the Czech republic doesn't have any black metal bands, you can laugh at his face and school him...likewise I'd think most of us would have the same problem with a genre like Reggae, where we would assume that Jamaica is the only place this type of music comes from

Maybe the examples I gave are not the best lol.

I agree that it takes more familiarity with other genres to draw a conclusion on this question. I know much more about metal which is my favorite genre by far. However I know a fair bit about rap and it's history. If you look at lists of the most successful and well known rap groups you will see by far mostly american groups from the east coast. On the other hand a list for metal will be much more diverse. Though rap music is cultural to begin with.

I would like to see more opinions.

Everywhere you'll find metal, you'll find classical--and classical probably reaches beyond, as well.

I find it funny that we go from the all-encompassing word "music" to something like "dark ambient blackened brutal death thrash core".

What i think is fascinating is how ancient folk music can become popular again because of metal like the sumerian folk sound with Melechesh

It's not like you'd know about Brazilian jazz groups or Norwegian soul groups, as you don't listen to those styles (reasonably safe assumption). You just perceive metal as being more global because it's what you know. Metal is probably slightly more global than other styles as a result of it's underground nature, though.

It's not like you'd know about Brazilian jazz groups or Norwegian soul groups, as you don't listen to those styles (reasonably safe assumption). You just perceive metal as being more global because it's what you know. Metal is probably slightly more global than other styles as a result of it's underground nature, though.

There may be many Brazilian jazz or Norwegian soul groups or Swedish rap groups. However, especially in the US they seem to remain unknown. Even the most underground rap fans in the US most likely have never heard a Swedish rap group, the music doesn't seem to be produced at the same level as it is where it originates.

i think a lot of it is that metal cultivates this 'underground' attitude to which "avant-garde black metal from iraq!" or "industrial goregrind from lithuania!" is inherently appealing regardless of the actual musical content. w/ jazz since its fans regard themselves as intellectual and cultured (so do metal fans actually, lol) you see kind of the same thing. dance music is so universal bc the desire to dance is an inherent human instinct and the music itself is, by virtue of its synthesized nature, easy to produce to a high standard without access to professional recording technology...

there is a question of whether these musical forms are actually more universal or if it's just that the international promotional networks for them are stronger. like are there kazakhstani soul groups that we just don't hear about? if no, is it just because the lack of promotional networks for that kind of music discourages people from working in forms for which they wont receive recognition, or do we have to accept that certain forms of music possess more universal cultural appeal than others? i dunno if im convinced by that since hip hop is instrinsically linked to black experiences in both its musical and cultural content yet has found a place in so many countries even among other races. i DO think tho that perhaps in general the aesthetic choices of these genres might influence the popularity they are able to receive i.e. in extreme metal the vocals are generally unintelligible and both jazz and electronic music are generally vocal-less so the language barrier is a non-issue, etc.

Not sure about the desire to dance being an inherent human instinct... I have never once had the desire to dance lol.

Regarding Metal vocals I think they are overall as intellegible than other genres. If you consider to heavy and power metal for instance, the vocals are very intelligible. Most international metal bands seem to have a grasp on the english language and the language barrier is not much of a problem. Also the sound of the music and quality doesn't have to change from each region. I think the reason why metal fans enjoy music from many different regions is because there is alot of quality metal coming from these countries.

Perhaps a modification of metalwrath's point, but metal isn't notable simply for being (relatively) universal, lots of genres do that. It's more the fact that there are few genres where there are as many relevant artists outside of the traditional strongholds of the US, UK etc. And indeed perhaps the only genre outside of classical music in which the majority of the seminal artists weren't from the US or UK.

Perhaps a modification of metalwrath's point, but metal isn't notable simply for being (relatively) universal, lots of genres do that. It's more the fact that there are few genres where there are as many relevant artists outside of the traditional strongholds of the US, UK etc. And indeed perhaps the only genre outside of classical music in which the majority of the seminal artists weren't from the US or UK.

Exactly, this is what I was getting at.

Regarding Metal vocals I think they are overall as intellegible than other genres.

Oh, come on, you can't be serious. :p Heavy, power, some prog, and some thrash, yes--that's one reason why I vastly prefer those genres. But the only genre I can think of to match death or black metal or grindcore in vocal unintelligability is opera, and even there I can usually make out more words than in your average Napalm Death song.