Ideological Relevance of Black Metal

Manic Ferocity

Nov 5, 2006
I would say (and I'm pretty sure most would agree) that anti-christian/Satanic ideologies are the driving force behind black metal, more so than any other genre. That being said, one would assume that the ideology aspect of black metal is very important. However, where exactly do you draw the line in terms of lyrics? Most would agree that Christian themes have absolutely no place in black metal but what about Paganism? Paganism and its derivatives have become common lyrical themes in black metal over the years. Can it still be considered black metal if there are religious themes of any kind?

I'd be lying if I said I didn't lump bands such as Graveland, Falkenbach, Bathory (circa Blood Fire Death), and Enslaved under the black metal tag. Even so, I have always questioned whether Paganism was an appropriate theme in a specific ideologically based genre. What are your thoughts?

I neither draw a line at lyrics, nor would I say it's inherently anti-christian. I find that a great deal of it is more nature/pagan/historical/nationalistic in lyrical content. The roots are definitely anti-christian, but as far as what we have today I would say in my less than expert opinion that anti-christian or satanic themes aren't necessarily the core of a genre.

I'd say more than anything the defining view of the genre is simply to break from modern tradition. Be it religion or otherwise.

I don't think black metal can only be defined by anti-Christian themes but don't you think having any sort of religious themes seems a bit contradictory to the origins of the genre?

I don't think that a band would be considered any less black metal for having lyrics with religious themes. I think it's more about the sound than the lyrics. However, for the most part, anti-crhstian/satanic lyrics suit the sound better.

Black Metal, musically, was a reaction to the prevailing trends of the time, and lyrically a reaction to the prevailing culture, which was of course Christian. So I think the foundation is not necessarily anti-Christianity as much as anti-everything-that-the-majority-believes-in, be it religion, politics, philosophy, and historical outlook. Where Satanism comes in, well, that's an easy step to take from anti-Christianity, especially when several bands in the 80's already made it cool to sing about Satan (which is a discredit to the tongue-in-cheek Satanic bands since they were copycats, while those who took it seriously I think deserve more credit).

In sum, Black Metal is about individuality and opposition to the "herd," and to do so it takes up things like Paganism and radical philosophies that contradict the prevailing state of things.

That's a pretty vague way to describe black metal. Especially since the same can be said about death metal, punk, etc. I think black metal is a little more involved than that.

The only thing you can really say for certain about genres is that it is relevant to the point in time you discuss it. Genres evolve over time, and at the end of the day, all you want to do is broadly describe the music style. People seem to get hung up in genre definitions to the point where the genre defines the music, rather than the other way around, which ultimately is pretty stupid.

So in answer to your question, no I dont think black metal is that specifically defined, and thus paganist themes dont automatically exclude that work from the genre. Whilst there are general expectations of what 'black metal' is (which is really just the occult and anti-mainstream being presented in a certain musical way, the more specific you become, the less the discussion loses relevance to anything.

I would say (and I'm pretty sure most would agree) that anti-christian/Satanic ideologies are the driving force behind black metal, more so than any other genre. That being said, one would assume that the ideology aspect of black metal is very important. However, where exactly do you draw the line in terms of lyrics? Most would agree that Christian themes have absolutely no place in black metal but what about Paganism? Paganism and its derivatives have become common lyrical themes in black metal over the years. Can it still be considered black metal if there are religious themes of any kind?

I'd be lying if I said I didn't lump bands such as Graveland, Falkenbach, Bathory (circa Blood Fire Death), and Enslaved under the black metal tag. Even so, I have always questioned whether Paganism was an appropriate theme in a specific ideologically based genre. What are your thoughts?

This is an interesting topic. Personally, since lyrics/vocals play little part in the music (for me, anyway), I don't even mind Christian-themed black metal. In fact, I find black metal with Satanic lyrics to be a bit of turn-off. I realize that's somewhat contradictory, since I just admitted that lyrics play only a small role for me, but it's still a fact I haven't been able to overcome. I prefer black metal with mythological/philosophical/pagan lyrics.

In sum, Black Metal is about individuality and opposition to the "herd," and to do so it takes up things like Paganism and radical philosophies that contradict the prevailing state of things.

This is, actually, what I would agree with more than anything else. In my opinion, black metal stems from a philosophical "pantheon of absence;" the belief of being as emptiness, the idea that meaning is subjective, the understanding that the individual is the most sacred form of order. Any meaning or idealism that is established can only be justified by personal/individual will. This seems somewhat libertarian, but libertarianism is such a human concept, and I think that black metal strives to break down the boundaries of an anthropocentric world. It's a focus on the primeval, on the chaotic, and on the natural.

This is, actually, what I would agree with more than anything else. In my opinion, black metal stems from a philosophical "pantheon of absence;" the belief of being as emptiness, the idea that meaning is subjective, the understanding that the individual is the most sacred form of order. Any meaning or idealism that is established can only be justified by personal/individual will. This seems somewhat libertarian, but libertarianism is such a human concept, and I think that black metal strives to break down the boundaries of an anthropocentric world. It's a focus on the primeval, on the chaotic, and on the natural.

I like this, however, many different styles of music/lyrics express similar ideas. This leads me to the conclusion that for all the proselytizing about the black metal ideology, it is, in fact, nothing more than a particular subcultural current that is primarily music-driven. Yes, some ideas and ideologies are common to a majority of bands, but it is far from consistent.

Consider your claim of libertarianism as being the base from which black metal expression springs. If we accept that, how are we to rectify it with the wave of fascist NS black metal bands that also claim to be embodying the spirit of 'trve' black metal? Fascism is fundamentally a collectivist ideology and thus in opposition to any sort of individualist or libertarian movement that you have isolated as a defining feature of black metal ideology.

If we are going to try and isolate a defining feature of black metal, ideologically, I think something like 'resistance' is closer to being applicable to the majority of bands in the genre. Even then, this has its problems.

Fascism is tyrannical in idealogy, or at least in practice, not collectivist.

I would agree with "Resistance" being a common theme to black metal, but then again, it would generally apply to all extreme metal genres.

Black metal is merely one form of expression of the overarching voice that has been carried along by pretty much every band of historical significance in the history of metal as a genre, and that is rebellion, questioning, skepticism, resistance, however you choose to phrase it. Study the lyrics of the seminal works of any meaningful band in the history of the genre and you will find the voice of dissent. Of course, any discussion about the ideology of black metal that fails to mention a significant portion of it being devoted to opposition of established religion, and Christianity in particular, is inexcusable. Personally, I believe the purest form of this expression is that which refrains from orthodox, religious Satanism, in that it merely inverts the positions of the pawns in the traditional theological operetta, but it can be argued that even that of course has its place in the very act of the inversion. I continue to maintain that Christianity is diametrically opposed in particular to black metal and that the two cannot coherently coexist without reducing the product to a mere exercise in aesthetics. I would not go so far as to say that religion in its entirety is fully antithetical to heavy metal as a genre, but the union of the two rarely produces anything of value.

Fascism is tyrannical in idealogy, or at least in practice, not collectivist.

From wiki "Fascists believe that a nation is an organic community that requires strong leadership, singular collective identity, and the will and ability to commit violence and wage war in order to keep the nation strong."

Singular collective identity being the key phrase there. In other words, it is collectivist in the sense that it promotes group identity through nationhood, race, and/or ethnicity.

And also, collectivism, as a mode of practice of ideology, I would argue, is usually used to directly support tyranny.

This is about the closest to an absolute consensus among all of the post-second wave manifestations of black metal that I can think of. Some promote/d decadence in opposition to Christianity (an interview with Euronymous in which he mentions sodomy as the only proper means of sex comes to mind), though more modern acts promote Nietzschean self-overcoming, likely as a result in dabbling with Satanic sects like the Order of Nine Angles. Devotion seems to be a recurring theme though, be it Euronymous' closed-door policy, Paul Ledney's affinity for sodomizing nuns in public, or any other band which lets the Satanic or Pagan philosophies they abide by in everyday life make up the ideological/conceptual basis of the music they make.

I think keeping it at "extreme" is the best thing to do, as there exists tons of black metal founded upon nothing more than rampant individualism as there is black metal all about creating an elite Platonic society of ubermenschen that comes at a cost of devotion to a collective entity.

Edit: I agree that Christianity or any other egalitarian religious thought has absolutely no place in black metal. Entirely separating the musical and conceptual foundations of a single work is stupid and shouldn't be done. Nightgaunt's review of the Horde album on MA articulates this notion very well.

Excuse the mild incoherence; the post was typed in a hurry.

I dont liek to define black metal from the point of the lyrics. Some say it has to be satanic lyrics to be considered black metal. But do they differ between ideological differences in the branches of Satanism (that often goes against eachother)? Or is there a true version (of course the Dissection/Watain lackeys would probably say so)?

I categorize black metal because of the music playes. Its not just music with satanic lyrics to me. I dont consider Mercyful Fate as black metal for example. However there is a strong connection with either satanic or pagan themes in black metal as well as nature worship, destructive lyrics, nihilism, individualism etc. The common thing seems to be a revolt against established moral themes or societal structures. And alot is chock value as well.

Black metal is merely one form of expression of the overarching voice that has been carried along by pretty much every band of historical significance in the history of metal as a genre, and that is rebellion, questioning, skepticism, resistance, however you choose to phrase it. Study the lyrics of the seminal works of any meaningful band in the history of the genre and you will find the voice of dissent. Of course, any discussion about the ideology of black metal that fails to mention a significant portion of it being devoted to opposition of established religion, and Christianity in particular, is inexcusable. Personally, I believe the purest form of this expression is that which refrains from orthodox, religious Satanism, in that it merely inverts the positions of the pawns in the traditional theological operetta, but it can be argued that even that of course has its place in the very act of the inversion. I continue to maintain that Christianity is diametrically opposed in particular to black metal and that the two cannot coherently coexist without reducing the product to a mere exercise in aesthetics. I would not go so far as to say that religion in its entirety is fully antithetical to heavy metal as a genre, but the union of the two rarely produces anything of value.

I feel like religion is better used in metal in a more story-telling format. Trouble comes to mind.

For the most part, I would say metal shouldn't ever have preachy religious themes. The only exception I can think of is Black Sabbath's After Forever. That's the only Sabbath song I can think of that moves into that territory, though.

Becoming the Archetype is one of the few christian themed metal bands that can actually write worthwhile music, obviously not black metal though.

I've never thought about BM in terms of ideology so much as the musical style and instrumentation.

As queer as it sounds I have always felt that BM relies more on feelings and emotions than on religious/political themes: darkness, bleak solitude, primal worship of ANYTHING (nature, Satan, frostbite...), etc. Sure the roots of the genre were in anti-mainstream (Christian) resistance and whatever, but at this point it's grown and expanded far beyond simple anti-Christian ideology.