Dimmu Borgir, black metal & "Tr00-Kvlt" BM fans

Laeth MacLaurie said:
The smugness here is misplaced. Until you demonstrate that the bands YOU are pimping have a legitimate claim to originality, maybe you should shut the fuck up. We've already demonstrated that Ulver is derivative, unimaginative crap. What else you got?

What the fuck? What is this Laeth, Ebonics hour ?

There has always been a difference between mainstream and underground but now the metal scene is alot more mainstream this is partly because of the internet ,MTV and other exploitations but its not to be entirely blamed as many bands are money hungry and fame driven the "Giving a shit about the albums you release" has more or less gone and thats a big problem not many bands can release and release good albus even though im sure they have the talent and equipment to.

getchapull said:
There has always been a difference between mainstream and underground but now the metal scene is alot more mainstream this is partly because of the internet ,MTV and other exploitations but its not to be entirely blamed as many bands are money hungry and fame driven the "Giving a shit about the albums you release" has more or less gone and thats a big problem not many bands can release and release good albus even though im sure they have the talent and equipment to.

I agree with you partially kid, but metal was still bigger in the 80's - and the good bands still managed to release albums then.

Trust me, I was there.

Laeth MacLaurie said:
We've already demonstrated that Ulver is derivative, unimaginative crap. What else you got?
You´ve just demonstrated that you have no clue about Ulver.
Oh wait it´s trip-hop, I forgot, hahaha.

I was there too but not old enough to understand music and the way it works.
I understand that metal was big in the eighties and metal is becoming increasingly popular now, lots of bands in the eighties did want to write and produce good albums.Im saying that that sentiment has gone.
Metallica for example a big metal band in the eighties through the years they have lost that connection to the music they even took out a lawsuit on napster to gain more money. I can even quote Alexi Laiho from CoB " If our record sales are going down we will definitely quit" I no I cant pigeon hole every band and can't imply they have the same views but for the next generation of metal musicians this is no way to teach them about the importance of music and the metal community.
( sorry to change to trash,death metal as it is a black metal thread)

Carcassian said:
I agree with you partially kid, but metal was still bigger in the 80's - and the good bands still managed to release albums then.

Trust me, I was there.

Then again, a lot of the "good" (Metallica, Priest, Anthrax etc.) bands of the 80s were pretty blatantly commercial in their leanings.

That said, a point has been raised that is significant. The internet has fundamentally altered the equation and made even comparatively "underground" forms significantly more profitable. With the investment of a few hundred dollars a year and a little time (often the time of unpaid e-teamers), labels can get for their bands the kind of broad worldwide exposure in the course of a few months that once took years of touring and tape trading to accomplish. The result is a pressure to put out music that pushes slightly toward the mainstream or music that clones what has already been done within the "underground."

Laeth MacLaurie said:
Then again, a lot of the "good" (Metallica, Priest, Anthrax etc.) bands of the 80s were pretty blatantly commercial in their leanings.

That said, a point has been raised that is significant. The internet has fundamentally altered the equation and made even comparatively "underground" forms significantly more profitable. With the investment of a few hundred dollars a year and a little time (often the time of unpaid e-teamers), labels can get for their bands the kind of broad worldwide exposure in the course of a few months that once took years of touring and tape trading to accomplish. The result is a pressure to put out music that pushes slightly toward the mainstream or music that clones what has already been done within the "underground."

Though it shocks me, I agree.