Dimmu Borgir on Ozzfest??

WithinTheOdyssey

New Metal Member
Dec 7, 2003
Yes it is true, Dimmu Borgir will now be playing Ozzfest 2004 on the mainstage. It totally pisses me off. At one point in time, I remember that I could call Black Metal and Death Metal my own, not many people knew about it and it made a person unique. 5 Years back, virtually no one knew what black or death metal was, (save for maybe Cannibal Corpse. Morbid Angel and a couple of others) Now its this huge thing that is getting exposure on F*cking MTV and other TV stations in America, I am not comforted by the fact that soon A mainstream Hatebreed/Good Charlotte loser will be trying to tell me who At The Gates and Dissection is. As more and more of this unique brand of music gets out and out more, the worse it gets. Thats why such bands as In Flames are turning soft, its to please this new brand of fans. I wish real metal would put its self back in the grave and stay were it belongs, underground.

Well, atleast Cryptopsy and Necrophagist are still good...

WithinTheOdyssey said:
Yes it is true, Dimmu Borgir will now be playing Ozzfest 2004 on the mainstage. It totally pisses me off. At one point in time, I remember that I could call Black Metal and Death Metal my own, not many people knew about it and it made a person unique. 5 Years back, virtually no one knew what black or death metal was, (save for maybe Cannibal Corpse. Morbid Angel and a couple of others) Now its this huge thing that is getting exposure on F*cking MTV and other TV stations in America, I am not comforted by the fact that soon A mainstream Hatebreed/Good Charlotte loser will be trying to tell me who At The Gates and Dissection is. As more and more of this unique brand of music gets out and out more, the worse it gets. Thats why such bands as In Flames are turning soft, its to please this new brand of fans. I wish real metal would put its self back in the grave and stay were it belongs, underground.
Wow, that was awfully paranoid.

I hope that Ulver and Darkthrone and Cryptopsy and Krisiun and Demilich all end up on TRL some day. I hope that tennyboppers sing along to Suffocation and Kalmah songs and hold up signs saying, "Marry Me, Glen!" or "Shagrath...I'm Pregnant!" just so this fucking idiotic underground metal ideology goes all to hell once and for all.

How do you like that? I'm GLAD Dimmu are being considered for Ozzfest. Hopefully the same will happen with Opeth and Co. Hopefully, this stuff will become mainstream.

Someday...

WithinTheOdyssey said:

Well, atleast Cryptopsy and Necrophagist are still good...
boo-fucking-hoo.

WithinTheOdyssey said:
Don't act like you don't feel the same way, oh, maybe you like Good Charlotte too? ok I feel you.
yeah, you got me. i looooove good charlotte. one time i went to TRL and brought my huge blink 182 sign and held so carson all the cameras could see it! then when i went home to watch a couple new found glory videos on my favorite show TRL i SAW THAT MY SIGN WAS ON TV BECAUSE THEY REOCRDeEEFD it and i wuz ther cuz i lke teh good charlotte and i was on TRL and omg it wuz liek awesome1!!!11!11 blink 183 4-ev-uh!!!!!111

And 10 years ago I could call black metal my own as well, but who gives a shit? Good for Dimmu Borgir then. I bought "For All Tid" when it first came out, so I can say the same about you discovering what I knew about five years prior.

Utuk Xul said:
And 10 years ago I could call black metal my own as well, but who gives a shit? Good for Dimmu Borgir then. I bought "For All Tid" when it first came out, so I can say the same about you discovering what I knew about five years prior.

Just cause I said 5 years ago doesn't mean I started listening to it 5 years ago. With popularity comes garbage, you'll soon find that out though.

Wow, am I the only one who is optimistic about this? There are pretty much NO good metal festivals in the US, but with the other bands that are supposedly gonna be on Ozzfest in '04 (primarily Slayer, Judas Priest) it seems like there will finally be some REAL music on there instead of fucking numetal bullshit. Fuck the "they're untrue because of this" bullshit ... people hated CoF for the same reason last year, don't look at this shit in a negative way. Maybe this means that the mallcore/wannabegoth fags are loosing control of the music scene in the US.

Domoritus said:
Maybe this means that the mallcore/wannabegoth fags are loosing control of the music scene in the US.

no, it just means that once good bands are catering to the mallcore fags' tastes to sell records.

what does it matter? If the music is already recorded, just 'cause someone who likes pop won't change the music that's already recorded. Some people just go WAY overboard with their elitist thinking. Besides, Dimmu Borgir will most likely play off dates inbetween cities...that's what I like most about them being on Ozzfest.

Wow, you are pretty pessimistic. Remember how metal used to be, back before nu-metal existed? Most real metalheads know that nu-metal is and always was shit, so why does it seem unnatural that it (numetal) is finally on a decline?

On a side note, I was looking around at Wal-Mart the other day (I thought Ed Wood was out on DVD, as it was in some Best Buy and Circuit City fliers, and it was too late in the day for those places to be open, but alas, I was lied to and wasted my time searching for a DVD that was delayed yet again .......) and as I passed the music section some Dio CD's caught my attention. Out of curiousity I checked to see what they had, some "best of" and Holy Diver, and couldn't help but notice that they had 2 copies of Death Cult Armageddon sitting on the rack (and no, they didn't say "edited" on the label). Discount black metal for the masses I suppose. They also had some Iced Earth CD's. Kinda crazy.

Anyway, if they play Ozzfest, and somehow Maiden plays to, I'll actually want to go to one of these fucking things, but I must ask one thing. Who's playing drums?

I will be. ;)

I happen to also like Good Charlotte.

And the whole "numetal sucks" argument is so last Ice Age. You "tr00 metal" dinosaurs need to understand that just because something is mainstream oriented, doesn't mean it's garbage.

I find it funny that people can listen to "death metal" and actually go around calling it good music with a straight face while simultaneously bashing everything else. Like, hello? Welcome to Earth!

The insecurity I'm sensing is quite appalling. Read the quote in my sig.

and is anyone surprised that Dimmu is playing Ozzfest?

The fat one was smart getting out of that irrelevant band.