Explain your hatred for Dimmu Borgir

I don't mind Dimmu Borgir as much though I don't really consider their new album black metal, I still enjoy it at times just not something I'd spin alot.

I tend not to notice Barker's drumming in the Dimmu records, I don't find it interesting. Whilst it fits the music, it just seems to fit because it's mandatory to have the drums and serves the purpose like background tapping.

I don't hate Dimmu, though I wouldn't call their music black metal. I think that some of the tr00 guys don't like Dimmu's brand of bombastic symphonic metal, and find it pretentious and flowery. And they therefore don't like to see Dimmu representing black metal, especially since Dimmu are not a black metal band. I personally think that Dimmu's music is well written, but I am not really a fan.

jonnykungfu said:
Why was Chasm's post so "necessary"? As far as I can tell, no one said "I HATE DIMMU BECAUSE THEY'RE MAINSTREAM!!!!" Everyone gave a real reason. I'm not a black meta elitist, I just think Dimmu is boring. And Nick is a bad drummer. Yes, he's technical, but 1. technical and black metal rarely go together 2. he isn't a GOOD drummer. Jerking off all over your drumset is not GOOD drumming, it's wankery. If you can't be subtle, you have no talent.

I don't think you listen to the drums of any band that much at all. If anything BM drummers or metal drummers in general for the most part try to be technical. Most if not all are wankers just the difference is Nick doesn't use a drum machine to make himself sound faster then he's not unlike some other so called drummers in other bands.He also keeps in time with the music and rhythm. And if you don't like Wankery then most likely your not a fan of guitarists in BM/DM etc.. who tend to jerk off too much. But like someone already mentioned Nick isn't in the band anymore. He was only on 2 albums if I recall correctly and for those 2 albums he did a great job. If you want to trash a metal drummer trash Lars Ulrich in St. Anger now that is horrible drumming (horrible album as well). :wave:

anonymousnick2001 said:
Well, your opinion is noted, but other than the production the other reasons for hating them seem purely subjective to me.
fyi any opinion on music is going to be subjective being that finding a particular piece of art aesthetically pleasing is sort subjective by nature and not at all like, say, ATP synthesis which is pretty much a cut and dry thing as far as forming opinions about the production of the aforesaid, imo

Eh, well I thought Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia was a great album. I didn't find it bland, or boring. How can you call songs like "Kings of the Carnival Creation" boring, bland song writing?
That's quite possibly their best song ever. Amazing piece, too. A lot of their stuff doesn't compare.

This band just bores me, then again I'm not really a fan of Black metal either.
I'd rather listen to grindcore, thrash, or death metal.

@ Unfaithfully-Metalhead

Black and death metal guitarists are wankers? If you're talking about melo-deah, I agree. If not, then I would appreciate it if you gave me some general examples.

I'll add in my little bit here, as I am on the other side of the fence.

1)I think the reason lots of people start to hate bands is because of their success and widespread acceptance, and sorry to be brash, but album sales dont lie. Someone will see a band do well and draw attention to their scene, hence the comments distancing such bands from where they started. And if they aren't what they used to be, then it's evolution. And it happens

2)If you think that CoF or Dimmu care more about their Image than music, then think again. A lot of effort goes into writing, and there are a lot of arguments as well along the line, the reason most people think we care more about our image is because we have one. All in all it's a package, and it helps support us doing what we WANT to do, which is make music and play live. tshirt sales, image, promotion and marketing all come down to selling a record, making the recording costs back while supporting ourselves. However, music is first and foremost in our lives, otherwise we wouldnt all be here. And I know that if it was all about image i wouldnt be playing.

3)Personally I dont care about people liking the band or not, it's just funny how many people just simply hate it to fit in. No beef with me, nor being told we arent black metal, because to be honest, and in Dimmu's case as well, both bands have gone their own way sonically, and if it pisses purists off, then it's funny, as I thought black metal was partially about pissing everyone off, not sucking each others cocks and being liked ;)

rant over :)

Ha...this thread is still alive.
That's suprising and funny.

Demiurge said:
tell me, daddy, do i have your permission to dislike dimmu borgir now?
You did very well my son, better than others...now stop oogling your mother and go outside.

7 Dying Trees said:
I'll add in my little bit here, as I am on the other side of the fence.

1)I think the reason lots of people start to hate bands is because of their success and widespread acceptance, and sorry to be brash, but album sales dont lie. Someone will see a band do well and draw attention to their scene, hence the comments distancing such bands from where they started. And if they aren't what they used to be, then it's evolution. And it happens

2)If you think that CoF or Dimmu care more about their Image than music, then think again. A lot of effort goes into writing, and there are a lot of arguments as well along the line, the reason most people think we care more about our image is because we have one. All in all it's a package, and it helps support us doing what we WANT to do, which is make music and play live. tshirt sales, image, promotion and marketing all come down to selling a record, making the recording costs back while supporting ourselves. However, music is first and foremost in our lives, otherwise we wouldnt all be here. And I know that if it was all about image i wouldnt be playing.

3)Personally I dont care about people liking the band or not, it's just funny how many people just simply hate it to fit in. No beef with me, nor being told we arent black metal, because to be honest, and in Dimmu's case as well, both bands have gone their own way sonically, and if it pisses purists off, then it's funny, as I thought black metal was partially about pissing everyone off, not sucking each others cocks and being liked ;)

rant over :)

Let me give you a couple of cents here.

1. That is definitely sometimes the case, but the problem with issues like this is that, for example, the amount of people who hate CoF for their popularity is almost matched by the people who claim than ANYONE who hates CoF is doing so because of their popularity. The fact is, I dislike your music for the following reasons:
  • The music is very simple, written to suit brainless minds.
  • The gothic themes, melodies, spoken vocals, overly done keyboards etc are pretentious and cheesy for the most part.
  • It's completely devoid of anything even approaching atmosphere.
  • Dani's appalling vocals.
And it goes on. A lot of this applies to Dimmu's later work as well. The symphonic gimmick disguises nothing, there's no truly 'classical' element to their last few albums. I agree that album sales don't lie, in fact, they normally tell you that the band's music isn't very complex because it's understood by the general masses.

2) The amount of effort you put in is irrelevant for me, as is your inspiration, simply because I don't like your stuff. I'm sure you understand that. From a listener's standpoint I find a band's image entirely unnecessary and irrelevant to anything, but obviously it's a good way of gaining recognition, which I understand but have no respect for.

3) I'm probably what you'd call a purist, but I don't care about CoF enough to hate you, I just see you as being 'another populist band' who happen to get mis-associated with the BM scene due to a few similarities between the two, which can become irritating at times. Go here for a bit of elaboration on why you aren't BM: http://robm.kicks-ass.net/bm.php

I think they have this ethereal beauty to them. Have you heard Sorgens Kammer?

Don't get me wrong, I like some of their later work for sure, but a lot of it is noisy for noises sake and has lost that beauty in the wake of pentatonic slam riffs and overbearing orchestration. Some songs on PEM and EDT are exceptions, and I love Progenies of the Great Apocalypse.