Explain your hatred for Dimmu Borgir

eyeteeth

Jul 21, 2004
I'm not a big fan myself;I don't care much for their albums but I do actually like their last one, Death Cult Armageddon, has its moments. I've noticed in posts a real animosity towards Dimmu Borgir. I'm not the veteran of metal that many others here are and I was just wondering if the haters could explain what it is they hate about Dimmu Borgir. And don't just say "because they suck!"...thanks.

Too commercial/popular?
Moving towards mainstream?
Not true ____ metal?
Resentment?=better bands are less known/successful.

I'm just guessing.

Dammit, my post didn't come up.

I said, I think they just play bad music. I have nothing against their mainstream acceptance as I like plenty of mainstream bands. They just play bad music.

They symphonic elements are way over blown, they have no song-writing talent, the drums are irritating, etc.

jonnykungfu said:
They symphonic elements are way over blown, they have no song-writing talent, the drums are irritating, etc.
fair enough.

Hmm...I never even noticed their drums. I guess that's criticism of a sort. Someone like Hellhammer, whether with Mayhem or Arcturus, demands my attention in a good way.

No song-writting talent?? After listening to PEM, I thought they had a lot of song-writing talents. I don't see any real reason to bash them. If you don't like a band, that doesn't mean the band sucks.

Concerning the drumming, it is only a matter of taste I guess because it doesn't irritate me at all. If you're seeking objective reasons why people dislike DB, you won't find them here.

When I refer to the drummer, I'm referring to that bald fuck from Cradle of Filth, Nick Barker/Baker? whatever his name is. He basically just jerks off all over his drumset, which is not something a "black metal" drummer should be doing. And I'll say it again, no song writing talent. Sorry.

I don't really hate 'em, I just find their music incredibly bland. I really don't see why so many people like 'em, as there are tons of more interesting bands out there.

I also don't like that they call themselves black metal.

And their album titles are laughable.

I prefer Barker's drumming over most boring true black metal bands' ( some are interesting, but a lot are boring to me ) drumming. As for their song-writing skills, okay, their last album is a little bit uninteresting but PEM is really fast and heavy and I'll say it again, they showed song-writing talent ( on PEM at least ). Sorry.

I don't have any hatred toward Dimmu Borgir. To hate a band because they suck is pathetic, and means you're way too into music.

Dodens Grav said:
I don't have any hatred toward Dimmu Borgir. To hate a band because they suck is pathetic, and means you're way too into music.

I agree with this. Most hardcore music fans, but especially black metal fans, take shit too seriously and analyze shit way too much. It's just music. It's meant to be enjoyed. If you don't like something, don't listen to it. Some people need to get off the net and quit nitpicking apart certain bands and bitching about every single aspect of their music and lives. Get a life.

I also find it hilarious and quite predictable that everyone who has already talked shit about Dimmu Borgir in this thread, and how boring their music is, and how Nick is too repetitive and bland, and so on, are the typical underground elitist black metal kids who shit on everything that doesnt sound like it was recorded on a 15 year old tape recorder by their favorite tr00 kvlt acts. I find it difficult to understand how someone can shit on Nick's skills, but then listen to some ass sounding drum tracks that were created on a cheap casio keyboard and then worship the crap. I think alot of the black metal fans on this board are more concerned with their black metal image here (and elsewhere for that matter) and will automatically hate and put down any black metal band that gains a certain amount of success, or quickly develops a certain amount of popularity, just to support their evil net image. To sum it up, don't expect too many great responses in this thread.

I'm sure alot of you people will see this and say to youselves "hey, that's me" and decide to come back at me with some shit. Just know that your image here, and more than likely in real life, is alot more annoying and predictable than most of the bands you continuously bash on this board.

Chasm said:
I think alot of the black metal fans on this board are more concerned with their black metal image here
Well said Chasm!
I was after musically valid reasons for dislike in this thread. And I respect those musically based descriptions of dislike so far.

I enjoyed Dimmu's first few albums up to Devils Path. I liked Stormblast quite a bit, funny cuz that was considered "good production". Devil's Path made DB's future look promising because they said they were going to be going in a thrashy BM style, and that they took guitar lessons to back that up (funny)

Then they put out Enthrone Darkness Triumphant. Not too bad but I thought it sounded like another Dissection clone with a keyboard.

Everything else they released seemed like a mediocore CoF clone minus the queer vocals. Their music would be alot better without the synth I think, because it is way over the top...like a bad Bal Sagoth meets Dissection meets Cradle of Filth.

And I know someone posted they hated Shagraths vocals. They kicked ass on Stormblast and Devils Path I thought.

And as a final note, Dimmu Borgir are goth rock

Even though they're not musically similar, they remind me too much of Cradle of Filth, which really annoys me.

Musically DB are nothing special to me, they might sound somewhat like black metal and they consider themselves black metal but there's just no black metal feel to their music, no black metal atmosphere, harshness etc... It's just overblown symphonics and glossy videos with their make-up and costumes all most likely applied by some camp bloke in their make-up caravan. Plus too many stupid little mini-moshers listen to them "yeh i like black and death metal coz cof and dimmu are fuckin hardcore maaan!". I reckon they're coming towards how CoF are (more concerned about their image and music videos than their music)