Explain your hatred for Dimmu Borgir

Evil Dead said:
And I know someone posted they hated Shagraths vocals. They kicked ass on Stormblast and Devils Path I thought.

I think Erkekjetter Silenoz did most of the vocal work on Stormblåst, I'm not completely sure, though.

As for Dimmu Borgir, I quite enjoy their work.

I don't like them because everything after their first two albums sounds bad to my ears.

Really...why should people have to explain? If their opinion is that they hate the band, that's their opinion...tough fucking shit.

Chasm said:
I agree with this. Most hardcore music fans, but especially black metal fans, take shit too seriously and analyze shit way too much. It's just music. It's meant to be enjoyed. If you don't like something, don't listen to it. Some people need to get off the net and quit nitpicking apart certain bands and bitching about every single aspect of their music and lives. Get a life.

I also find it hilarious and quite predictable that everyone who has already talked shit about Dimmu Borgir in this thread, and how boring their music is, and how Nick is too repetitive and bland, and so on, are the typical underground elitist black metal kids who shit on everything that doesnt sound like it was recorded on a 15 year old tape recorder by their favorite tr00 kvlt acts. I find it difficult to understand how someone can shit on Nick's skills, but then listen to some ass sounding drum tracks that were created on a cheap casio keyboard and then worship the crap. I think alot of the black metal fans on this board are more concerned with their black metal image here (and elsewhere for that matter) and will automatically hate and put down any black metal band that gains a certain amount of success, or quickly develops a certain amount of popularity, just to support their evil net image. To sum it up, don't expect too many great responses in this thread.

I'm sure alot of you people will see this and say to youselves "hey, that's me" and decide to come back at me with some shit. Just know that your image here, and more than likely in real life, is alot more annoying and predictable than most of the bands you continuously bash on this board.

100% agree with you.

Chasm said:
I agree with this. Most hardcore music fans, but especially black metal fans, take shit too seriously and analyze shit way too much. It's just music. It's meant to be enjoyed. If you don't like something, don't listen to it. Some people need to get off the net and quit nitpicking apart certain bands and bitching about every single aspect of their music and lives. Get a life.

I also find it hilarious and quite predictable that everyone who has already talked shit about Dimmu Borgir in this thread, and how boring their music is, and how Nick is too repetitive and bland, and so on, are the typical underground elitist black metal kids who shit on everything that doesnt sound like it was recorded on a 15 year old tape recorder by their favorite tr00 kvlt acts. I find it difficult to understand how someone can shit on Nick's skills, but then listen to some ass sounding drum tracks that were created on a cheap casio keyboard and then worship the crap. I think alot of the black metal fans on this board are more concerned with their black metal image here (and elsewhere for that matter) and will automatically hate and put down any black metal band that gains a certain amount of success, or quickly develops a certain amount of popularity, just to support their evil net image. To sum it up, don't expect too many great responses in this thread.

I'm sure alot of you people will see this and say to youselves "hey, that's me" and decide to come back at me with some shit. Just know that your image here, and more than likely in real life, is alot more annoying and predictable than most of the bands you continuously bash on this board.

You hit it right on the head my friend

yeah, god forbid someone admit to not liking Dimmu because they play boring, redundant "black metal".

Chasm's post was predictable and is the typical anti-elitist response. He even knew his post was full of shit which is why he included that last paragraph. boring and yawn-inducing....

Lets see...things I hate about Dimmu Borgir:

* Riffing is largely comprised of pentatonic garbage that would fit well on some cheeseball of a power metal album

* sleek, lifeless production befitting the latest single by britney spears

* i find the the synth work to be overwrought and sappy

* songs tend to composed in rock format

tell me, daddy, do i have your permission to dislike dimmu borgir now?

I personally don't see what's so wrong with Dimmu Borgir. Although I'd have to say that Old Man's Child sounds a lot better. I bring up Old Man's Child because (as most of you know), like two of Dimmu's members are in OMC. I also really like Shagrath's vocals. They're different... I haven't really heard anyone else that sounds like him.

J. said:
Chasm's post was predictable and is the typical anti-elitist response. He even knew his post was full of shit which is why he included that last paragraph. boring and yawn-inducing....
His post was reqired. They're always required in a thread displaying traditional BM idiocy.

Demiurge said:
Lets see...things I hate about Dimmu Borgir:

* Riffing is largely comprised of pentatonic garbage that would fit well on some cheeseball of a power metal album

* sleek, lifeless production befitting the latest single by britney spears

* i find the the synth work to be overwrought and sappy

* songs tend to composed in rock format
Well, your opinion is noted, but other than the production the other reasons for hating them seem purely subjective to me. So what if its pentatonic, rock-based, synth-filled music? It's still black metal! :Spin:

*runs and hides, leaving trail of footprints leading to large incognito bear trap*

That's a strange post you made. Whether or not I like something is going to be subjective, isn't it? If there are compositional flaws in a given piece, someone can still like it. I correctly pointed out the sleek, lifeless production, but I could imagine someone liking sleek, lifeless production....

If it suits the music. But then it would benefit the music, so I wouldn't call that a warrant of the label of "lifeless."

By the way, I want to commend you for not taking the trap.

It's perfectly okay to not like Dimmu Borgir based on valid subjective reasons. Hating the band for "being mainstream" or "not being black metal" or "dressing funny" would be invalid reasons. You stated purely sonic reasons.

We'll I myself like them and could give 2 shits if others dont but Chasm's response was best and there is really nothing more to add to his. There are two comments I'll add. Nick Barker was in Old Man's Child and not CoF? (By the way I think his drumming is excellent especially since he doesn't use drum machines etc.) Second comment is that someone said Dimmu only cares about their image but if I'm correct most if not all BM bands seem to care if they look "black metal" or not. All seem to be concern how evil or cadaver like their makeup (by the way Dimmu's makeup looks way better then most if not all BM bands... though I think the whole BM image is kind of stupid in the same way that all metalheads look down on the Goth's image though it can be entertaining like being in a horror movie) looks like , how big the spikes on their arms or legs are, are they all wearing upside down crosses etc.. etc.. the list goes on & on... As for a description of there music I would say Gothy Rock with some metal thrown in it here and there... If people hate them because there popular (they only sold 65,000 in the U.S. I think I read .I really thought Cult sold more then that... like 100,000.. 65,000 doesn't sound like much mainstream).. I wonder if people on this board would start hating Dark Funeral,Mayhem, 1349, or whatever BM band is the flavor of the day if they sold the same numbers in album sales (assuming said band didn't change their music and still sounded the same)... and someone mentioned about Dimmu like girls.. dont know about you but i prefer female companionship over male.. but whatever rocks your boat dude... anyways I know I'll get some shit because of my opinions as usual but oh well... :wave:

Eh, well I thought Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia was a great album. I didn't find it bland, or boring. How can you call songs like "Kings of the Carnival Creation" boring, bland song writing?

Dimmu to me definitley has its moments where they approach brilliance. Approach. Moments. At the very least I find them pretty creative, and usually look forward to checking out some new stuff. I think it sucks they booted Nick though.

Why was Chasm's post so "necessary"? As far as I can tell, no one said "I HATE DIMMU BECAUSE THEY'RE MAINSTREAM!!!!" Everyone gave a real reason. I'm not a black meta elitist, I just think Dimmu is boring. And Nick is a bad drummer. Yes, he's technical, but 1. technical and black metal rarely go together 2. he isn't a GOOD drummer. Jerking off all over your drumset is not GOOD drumming, it's wankery. If you can't be subtle, you have no talent.