Can anything truly "new" be done with metal?

the new thing in metal is to buy a vintage judas priest shirt at the goodwill in the tehderloin and ironically enjoy it at wild oscar's down on 11th and harrison, since slim's is right accross the street

The Grimace said:
HALO
Psyopus
Ed Gein
Scarve
Crowpath
The End
Sikth

So Psyopus doing scale runs is new nor has been done before in music ?

interesting!

The Grimace said:
HALO
Psyopus
Ed Gein
Scarve
Crowpath
The End
Sikth

:lol:

So Psyopus doing scales runs is new nor has been done before in music ?

interesting!

explain please

Solefald have managed to be fairly original, without being boring at all.

I do think that the inclusion of electronica music into black metal is going to be the next evolution of the style, but as to where it goes beyond that ... I don't know.

That's still not really innovation in metal. That's blending metal with a non-metal genre which has been done before. Symphonic metal, anyone? I think that all of the genres of metal are already done. The boundaries are drawn and anything more simply strays outside of metal. Super technical grindcore is nothing but overblown bastardized death metal with no concept of songwriting and structure. Black metal has been hybridized to death with: death metal, folk, thrash and has sequestered itself inside a little box of kvltness. Power metal has the same issue. All the topics have been sung about.. all the themes have been done... there isn't anything left really. Okay, fine, no one has sung about the finer points of the symbolism of Tess of the D'Urbervilles but that's getting out of hand on a tired cliche premise. Maybe I'm wrong, and someone has sung about it. That'd just prove my point anyhow.

There will be no more incredible innovation on metal, plain and simple. Just better and worse variations of the same things.

I like how Dripping mixes different Genres. Are they being redundant? I dont know of any other bands doing what they do.. if there are please point me in the right direction.

Lyle said:
the new thing in metal is to buy a vintage judas priest shirt at the goodwill in the tehderloin and ironically enjoy it at wild oscar's down on 11th and harrison, since slim's is right accross the street

:lol:

Another San Franciscan I presume? That is another reason why I hate going to shows now. A bunch of morons sporting the latest "cool" metal shirt. I haven't been to slims in about a year and a half. Oh yeah, my dumbass decided to see Cephalic Carnage there. Wow, talk about a shit concert.

The one really good venue to watch a show was Maritime Hall, before they shut it down. Last show I saw there was Gorguts/Marduk in 2001 I believe. That's also where Emperor played back in 99'.

Ok, end of rant.

Adding shitty and/or non-Metal influences is not expanding the horizons of Metal, it's adding shitty and/or non-Metal influences.

I think you're all looking at what can be changed at a rather superficial level - instruments, techniques, influences, genres (aesthetics).

IMO metal needs to be changed at a more fundamental level. One greatly overlooked factor has always limited what can be done with metal, constrained the full development of its ideas and severely limited its growth. I see the future of metal in the dropping of the "riff". Not only has every combination of notes, keys and rhythms been done before, but the nature of the riff severely limits what can be composed. It's the musical equivalent of writing a book and rhyming the end of each line - the very style of expression limits what can be expressed. I'm not saying bands should adopt a free-flowing improvised jazz approach but at least break out of the mould of motif repetition which has defined metal since the 80s. But I think it would be a huge step for at least one band to at acknowledge that metal can be in a way that emphasises actual content over rigid structure. To my knowledge no band has really achieved this, and only one has succeeded in working substantially towards it - Kayo Dot, if they can be called metal. Though if someone can point me to any other bands that have done it i'd appreciate it.

"The riff ," IS metal. To abandon that means you abandon metal which is why I gave my post above.

The only way to play METAL is to look METAL. METAL is about black clothes, non-baggy pants, black leather, spikes, studs, chains, long hair or naturally bald, denim and leather vests with band patches all over them surrounded in studs/spikes with leather jacket underneath, pins/buttons of metal bands on leather jacket/denim collars, necklesses, black boots, etc, etc, etc.....like it used to be. Some idiots do not have a clue what the difference between a TREND and a TRADITION is.

Original/traditional METAL that supports the true METAL-head aesthetics and image is the only way for true METALISTS around the world. It's the law to support this if you are a true METAL-head and anyone who begs to differ with my post is obviously not a true METAL-head and deserves to be thoroughly punished for his/her obvious bad behavior. Support Denim & Leather, the old school METAL aesthetics or FUCK OFF TRYING!!!:headbang:

METAL

venom1.jpg

non-METAL

The_Doodlebops-resized200.jpg

Erik said:
I wholeheartedly agree with this post

DENIM AND LEATHER BROUGHT US ALL TOGETHER
IT WAS YOU THAT SET THE SPIRIT FREE

No you don't.

[SERIOUS POST ALERT]Also, Metal = the riff. You can add all the extraneous influences you want in order to create some type of new amalgamation of musical importance, but it sure as hell won't be Metal. The answer to the question of whether or not something truly new can be done with Metal I strongly believe is no. That is far from saying that the genre cannot evolve into something else, however. Thus far it seems only to be flirting with incorporating ideas with alternative genres instead of estaablishing a truly unique identity, however.[/SERIOUS POST ALERT]

Ex-cally-boo said:
I do think that the inclusion of electronica music into black metal is going to be the next evolution of the style, but as to where it goes beyond that ... I don't know.

I think the inclusion of electronica into metal plain is the next step. There is an awesome potential in industrial metal, but the problem is that the people who are any good at their instruments don't wan't to ruin their, what should I call it, liveness? Incorporating electronic elements makes a band seem less genuine, even if it doesn't. However, I don't think it would be possible to get heavier then industrial death metal done to its full potential.

As an intresting but not completly metal style, I am starting to get into this stuff called "thrash jazz" started, I believe, by A crazy guy called John Zorn. All types of metal fusion could be another possible future for metal. Yes, the early stuff is going to be decidely jazz and not metal, because jazz is the genre that is less conservative, but eventually it will leave an impact on future metal to come.

Erik said:
What

I have long hair and a patched denim vest and like 50 band shirts and I always wear my leather jacket

Are you calling me a poseur cause if you are :mad:

I have long hair and a patched denim vest and like 50 band shirts and I always wear my leather jacket

It's just that we both know that the fashion of Metal has little influence on the music outside of shitty denim/spikes/leather/etc. inspired lyrics. Judas Priest and Venom would kick just as much ass wearing lederhosen.

Edit: god why the fuck did i give a serious response

It would be interesting to see another genre of music created from the fundementals of metal, because that's the only possibility that seems applicable as of current. Trying to take away "DUH ALMIGHTY RIFF" or going as far out as stuff like drone doom (i'm not saying drone is a metal genre go away asjdlajd) are good ideas which aid in shaping something like a new genre.

I have yet to hear anything really, really good come out of the electronica/industrial influenced metal. There's shit like newer ...and Oceans, and there's Blut Aus Nord's newer direction, which I'm not too fond of. Has anyone figured this sort of thing out yet.

I think Garm's remix of Emperor's Sworn is actually pretty good, but I haven't heard anything of that sort done on a wider scale.