Anyone else feel the need to Proselytize Metal to friends?

Raumien said:
Yeah I share shit with them but I don't force it on them.

Take my friend kyle. He was all about Korn and Disturbed and prettymuch didn't listen to anything outside the radio.

We were hangin out at his place playing some Tony Hawk on his Xbox and I said hey, I got these new cd's and they're pretty cool, wanna try them out?

I played ICed Earth's Horror Show, starting with JAck, he absolutely loved the opening part and just drooled over how heavy and fast it sounded to him. We played Wolf and Dracula and Transylvania and he loved them all.

Next I put in Symphony X's The Odyssey. First 30 minutes of Inferno and he's about to go into a seizure from delight.

Since then he's purchased over 100 albums from bands like Cranium, Iced Earth, Iron Maiden, Nocturnal Breed and so forth.

With those bands... I bet you and your friend did more than play Xbox or is that phrase code for "sucked each other off?" Way to make your friend listen to some shitty music.

Meh.. Most of my friends arent into heavy metal or music that much actually. I recommended some metal bands to an old friend of mine cause he wanted to get into it. I don't force people to listen to heavy metal.

My friends are retarded when it comes to music. Linkin Park and Blink 182!

Deeeeerrrrrrrrsrfgroetrotpwrtjerjotnertjooorrrreeeeeer!!!!!1111111!111111Deeeeertardetarharhar!!!!!!!!!!!!111111!11!

I try sometimes to get my non-metal friends into metal, but at the very least I get them to respect it.

Like, I'll put on Blind Guardian's Nightfall in Middle Earth, put on The Curse of Feanor or Mirror Mirror, and before it starts, I'll say something like "Keep in mind, they have ONE singer." After that, if they don't like it, they respect how fuckin talented they are.

plfffffft said:
I try sometimes to get my non-metal friends into metal, but at the very least I get them to respect it.

Like, I'll put on Blind Guardian's Nightfall in Middle Earth, put on The Curse of Feanor or Mirror Mirror, and before it starts, I'll say something like "Keep in mind, they have ONE singer." After that, if they don't like it, they respect how fuckin talented they are.

Your friends are even more retarded than mine.

i have a friend whos just beginning to get into death metal. He loves marilyn manson, slipknot and american head charge and i borrowed him an Arch Enemy cd and he loved it! Ive now lent him "individual thought patterns" by death, and im awaiting his thoughts on that. I also played him stuff by carcass, obituary, celtic frost and strapping young lad and he liked them all!

He cant stand the brutal stuff like napalm death and morbid angel, though. But I just know he'll be grovelling me to lend him cd's by those bands too eventually!

I dont think I force people to listen to "my" music, but if I'm at their house or something I will pop a cd in their hifi just to see what they think. Usually they just laugh at the cookie monster singing, but sometimes they'll like it.

I never tell them korn and slipknot suck though. I guess its because I used to be in love with linkin park, and everyone needs a stepping stone to heavier music. So korn may be shit, but at least a small percentage of people who listen to em end up being cryptopsy fans!

Not really, most of my friends listen to shit like Nelly. If they want to listen to horrid shit then fine that is there loss.

With those bands... I bet you and your friend did more than play Xbox or is that phrase code for "sucked each other off?" Way to make your friend listen to some shitty music.

Iced Earth and Symphony X are bad bands? Please, and I'm hearing this from somebody who listens to Failure and Cave-In records, what superbly shitty bands. Oh no, that's right, I must've forgotten that their music is heartfelt and "eMoTiOnAL." Man, I have to get myself one of those emotional-meters.

As if producing heartfelt music was somehow an excuse for musical ineptitude and all-around sounding like shit.

i did this just today, i was paying for a system that im gonna get put in and my freinds alreayd had systems in their cars i was like lemme see what a real cd would sound like in there, i put in dying fetus-destroy the opposistion and they were like "goddamn chuck, that drummer is a maniac, its cool as shit" i was like yep.......yes he is.

Tanith said:
Not true. I've got someone who used to like Rap to start listening to Deicide and Morbid Angel. Fecking hard though.
I did the same, but it wasn't that hard. It all depends on the individual.

I don't like telling my friends about the music I listen too, because I want them to find it on their own some way(all my friends are into nu metal..punk.emo.and such they asume i like their stuff but w.e) ..but they pretty much don't know what I listen to or the bands I know..if I like tell them a band shirt i'm wearing or whatever and I know they dont them..they're usually like "oh yeah i've heard of them" i'm like sure..okay.

But I try to reccomend them some real stuff, but they want to stick with the mtv trend.

I always make my friends listen to the stuff i like, especially in the car. For me it's sort of a responsability, here's the music that I love and it's my duty to spread the word or something like that. I'm a very proud metal fan, and because of me, some of my friends now listen to metal.

I've gotten pretty interesting responses, most people think metal is noisy shit like marilyn manson or korn, so when it gets melodic they are usually surprised. They ask: ""what are we listening to?" and when i say Maiden/Evergrey/Symphony X/Savatage/Children of Bodom/etc etc etc they go: "Really? I thought it metal sounded a lot different"

metal seems to be nothing more than a circle jerk incognito.

I spend my life prophesing metal to the masses... Sadly, only a tiny number ever listen. However, I do manage to make plenty of people get into the good stuff. Actually, the friend who introduced me to metal [ironically, besides SLAYER!, all he listened to until recently was complete numetal shit, only until now am I getting him into stuff like Iced Earth and other Thrash bands]. And a bunch of other people too. My highschool only has about 500 people and I know about 10 other metalheads, which apparently are good odds nowadays. It's very frustrating sometimes, especially when you come upon a completely POP-kid in denial. Oh well, It's a Way of LIFE.

The only way to spread the word of metal is to preach lightly to those that surround you. People reject things that are forced upon them, but with a gentle prodding, even the most steadfast Korn fan can be converted.

DiscipleOfPlato said:
Iced Earth and Symphony X are bad bands? Please, and I'm hearing this from somebody who listens to Failure and Cave-In records, what superbly shitty bands. Oh no, that's right, I must've forgotten that their music is heartfelt and "eMoTiOnAL." Man, I have to get myself one of those emotional-meters.

As if producing heartfelt music was somehow an excuse for musical ineptitude and all-around sounding like shit.
Nothing wrong with Cave-In or Iced Earth as far as I can see, but I've never been much of a Symphony X fan... I'm gonna check out Failure now , so maybe I'll be directly in between the two of you and we can have a three-way slap fight... or maybe everyone could just chill out... :)