Ever feel too old to be into extreme metal?

Dec 13, 2010
I got really into black and doom metal mostly back in my late teenage years.
Now that i'm graduated from college and working a normal job and i'm 27 I feel like i'm starting to get too old to throw on a Burzum shirt and go out in public.
My tastes in the music haven't changed much in the last 10 years.I still like a lot of black metal and some select bands from other genres like Converge or Godspeed You! Black Emperor. But I feel like the metal lifestyle is gone in me, it's more for people in their teens and early 20s.

Anyone else ever feel like this?

I kinda get the feeling I'll have to abandon my band shirts myself in the near future. The music has been the only constant in my life since things went haywire my sophmore year of highschool though... and I love it as much as ever.

I admit it's starting to feel weird that bands I like are comprised entirely of musicians 5+ years younger than me, and once that number turns into 10, then 15, I'm sure I'll turn into one of those guys who shits all over the new stuff and sticks with the old.

Sometimes I think that's the main reason older people hate on current music. It's not anything to do with quality, just that they have an aversion to music being made by people from a generation later.

^ Well, when you put it that way... fuck :/

I don't think the same thing applies for girls. I mean I'm 22, but never really felt weird with my t-shirts at all. However, I do get comments like "cool design" or something of the sort so I think people think it's fashion related as oppose to me just never wanting to grow out of my teenage years, ha.

For an example, i'll use one of my friends. His name is Wizzo, he rides harleys, does tattoos and has plenty of tats and piercings, has hair to his waist, and listens to and plays death metal. And oh yeah, he's 47. He fits right in with the rest of us, who are all around 20. That'll be me, old as shit, but still partying and headbanging harder than people half my age. And prolly look the part still, with long hair, piercings, spikes, chains, and grody old band shirts.

Tl;dr lifelong metalhead here, motherfuckers.

I've never felt that the way I approach band shirts is obtrusive or anything like that. Especially since nerd culture is on the rise and metal is very much a part of that, I can pull off a Between the Buried and Me shirt at work and my boss actually appreciates it.

But I work for a Theory Z company with a gaming lounge and a company gym so maybe that's just me.

I would say instead of wondering how you can assimilate, look into ways you can continue to express yourself as an individual. I ended up cutting off my hair but still rep the Zelda and the Metals all day every day.

That's the main thing. When we're old are we gonna still be listening to what we grew up with, or will we keep on listening to new/young bands? I'm guessing the former.

My grandpa is way into nu grass, and he's been listening to blue grass his whole life.

And my best friend's dad has the biggest music collection I've seen, follows Pitchfork dutifully, is into all the indie bands. All that shit.

I think I'll appreciate metal indefinitely. I never really embraced the "look" though, so no need to worry about that.

What he said. And save the "metal look" for all the guys and girls in metal bands out there. Though I sometimes wear a band shirt, that whole "metal attire" thing got boring about 10 years ago. Motherhood has also changed my opinions quite a bit on what is immature and not, but that's a story for another day/thread :D.

I'll probably be wearing metal shirts the day that I day. I find myself wearing more non-metal band t-shirts these days than I used to.

And it's not like any of my shirts are offensive. I'm not wearing a Devourment shirt with "Cum on her Tits" printed on the back or anything retarded like that.

I'm 30 and have loved metal since my late teens, early 20's. I'll be a metalhead for life. Aside from wearing band shirts, I don't really have the metal look. Then again, at this point in my life, I can't. I'm in the military, so I can't have long hair, facial hair, etc. On a side note, I better keep loving metal since I have the words, "Heavy Metal" tattooed on my fucking arm! As for the clothing, I'm pretty basic, jeans and a band shirt....not much different than some other random guy wearing jeans and a black shirt with a picture on it.

Yeah, I tend to pick metal shirts that are not completely tasteless. Recently I bought a Moonrise in Total Darkness shirt, shit looks fucking sweet and is also a good conversation starter because it looks interesting. If you wear some gore shirt people are going to back away and decide right away that you're an idiot.