Getting into heavy metal and listened to Dio for the first time last night

My Funny Valentine

New Metal Member
Jun 21, 2019
Been getting into heavy metal. I'm a rock and punk fan. I'm actually a fan of all genres. From country to hip to jazz, blues, rock, electronic, anything. I've had exposure to heavy metal and I liked it (before this Fade to Black was my favorite metal song as someone with depression) but I never knew how to get into metal proper. I never knew where to start. Plus the demonic imagery and Satan stuff scared me as a nubile Christian.

Had cursory metal knowledge before this. Like Metallica and Megadeth. Started this with Black Sabbath to see where it started. Then went to Judas Priest, listened to them till they basically created speed metal in Stained Class then moved on to Iron Maiden.Last night while on a walk I decided to play a metal playlist.

The first song was Holy Diver.

You ever hear songs or albums and you remember the time and place you listened to them? Well, that was one of those moments.

Never heard Dio before today. Then, on a walk I listened to Holy Diver (the song). As if an epiphany, the shadows of the trees shook during its pulsing ambient intro as the stars turned their backside to me. Pitch black. The wind gasped a nasally sigh; my hair blew. Then the guitars started. I had goosebumps.

I've listened to a bit of metal but it had never had an impact on me like that before. It's like I went to another planet called Metal and I don't know how to get back except play the song again.

I now want to fuck Dio.

I have to talk about it and how powerful it makes me feel. I've never felt that from metal and didn't think it possible.I figured it was power metal, so I checked out a few power metal bands and they don't make me feel the way that song does. :(

I have since listened to the album, his Black Sabbath work such as Heaven and Hell and right now I'm immersed in metal, that song in particular (played it three times this morning so far), and just want to experience more.

TLDR : Holy fuck, dude.

Reactions: HamburgerBoy
Been getting into heavy metal. I'm a rock and punk fan. I'm actually a fan of all genres. From country to hip to jazz, blues, rock, electronic, anything. I've had exposure to heavy metal and I liked it (before this Fade to Black was my favorite metal song as someone with depression) but I never knew how to get into metal proper. I never knew where to start. Plus the demonic imagery and Satan stuff scared me as a nubile Christian.

Had cursory metal knowledge before this. Like Metallica and Megadeth. Started this with Black Sabbath to see where it started. Then went to Judas Priest, listened to them till they basically created speed metal in Stained Class then moved on to Iron Maiden.Last night while on a walk I decided to play a metal playlist.

The first song was Holy Diver.

You ever hear songs or albums and you remember the time and place you listened to them? Well, that was one of those moments.

Never heard Dio before today. Then, on a walk I listened to Holy Diver (the song). As if an epiphany, the shadows of the trees shook during its pulsing ambient intro as the stars turned their backside to me. Pitch black. The wind gasped a nasally sigh; my hair blew. Then the guitars started. I had goosebumps.

I've listened to a bit of metal but it had never had an impact on me like that before. It's like I went to another planet called Metal and I don't know how to get back except play the song again.

I now want to fuck Dio.

I have to talk about it and how powerful it makes me feel. I've never felt that from metal and didn't think it possible.I figured it was power metal, so I checked out a few power metal bands and they don't make me feel the way that song does. :(

I have since listened to the album, his Black Sabbath work such as Heaven and Hell and right now I'm immersed in metal, that song in particular (played it three times this morning so far), and just want to experience more.

TLDR : Holy fuck, dude.

tumblr_og258xO8FN1vingpbo1_400.gif

You remember the time and place you listened to a song yesterday?

Congratulations, what an effort!

Sorry if I'm annoying. I'm black and it's lonely being a rock fan. Much less metal. I just really want to talk to others as I discover these awesome albums. Sorry, I'll stop.

i always recommend our hall of fame museum to new users looking for more good metal. sabbath were (inevitably) a first ballot inductee, and dio made the third ballot.

Looking at that Hall of Fame again, one name sticks out like a sore thumb for making it in ahead of giants like Dio, Mercyful Fate, Death and Morbid Angel despite being relatively unknown. Not that I would have it any other way.