The first time you listened to death metal

The first time I listened to Death Metal (and real metal in general) was when an old classmate of mine gave me a demotape of a brutal death/grind band from my town. It was just recorded the day before. The music is somewhere between Cannibal Corpse and old Cryptopsy - I loved every second of it. Hmmm...that's almost 4 years ago now ;)

I belive the first death metal song I heard was either "Manic Demise" by Malevolent Creation or "Moonshield" by In Flames. Manic Demise I thought was so awesome and I was atracted to it right away. And when I first heard the acoustic intro to "Moonshield" I fell in love right away. That's probably my all time favorite metal song. When I first heard the real brutal stuff from bands like Nile I wasn't interested at first because of the deep deep growls. But once I listened and realized the talent behind the guitar and such I got into that stuff.

i think my first experience with death metal was Nile's Howling of the Jinn
I didn't like it at all at first.. scared the shit out of me... but I just felt the compulsion to keep listening to it. I got to the stage where i could listen to it and somewhat enjoy.
mm, then i heard Arch Enemy's Enemy Within on the radio, liked the intro, couldn't really get into the rest.
Then after that... I heard some At the gates.. Blinded by fear would've been the first song... then some Cradle of Filth.. Cthulhu dawn probably
both those songs scared me, but i loved them and just couldn't stop listening

The year was 97 and the song was DEVOURED BY VERMIN. Saw the video on Superock - Totaly dissliked the song, but thought the video was very nice.

Death Metal owns me nowdays!

The first death metal albums I heard were Cannibal Corpse's The Bleeding, Obituary's Slowly We Rot and Death's Fate compilation. At the time, CC gave me a bad headache, Obituary made me laugh and Death left me unaffected. I soon fell in love with Death and Obituary, and much later on began enjoying CC as well. At the moment (4 years or more later) my favourite DM bands are Death and Immolation.

NP: Dissection - Unhallowed