Technical Death Metal

Not enough Gorguts talk in this thread.

Gorguts rule:worship:

Okay,on a more serious note:I tried quite some bands mentioned in the Tech Death Sticky and other threads.But now i wonder where the line is between death and tech death?I mean:I hear bands like Jake Slater,Blastfame and so on(2 mentioned bands are examples and in no way representative of my personal taste)and allthough you hear they now how to use their instruments,but why do people call them tech death?Bands like Martyr,Gorguts,Carcariass and the likes are technical,but i really don't hear any comparisons with Kronos,Lost souls etc??

I still wonder what happend to Sauron

he's still kickin', he did a show with decapitated as a benefit after the accident

Gorguts rule:worship:

Okay,on a more serious note:I tried quite some bands mentioned in the Tech Death Sticky and other threads.But now i wonder where the line is between death and tech death?I mean:I hear bands like Jake Slater,Blastfame and so on(2 mentioned bands are examples and in no way representative of my personal taste)and allthough you hear they now how to use their instruments,but why do people call them tech death?Bands like Martyr,Gorguts,Carcariass and the likes are technical,but i really don't hear any comparisons with Kronos,Lost souls etc??

I don't know any of those bands well except Martyr so I can't say much about those ones personally, but there is sort of a thin line. some would say suffocation, nile etc. are tech death but they're pretty borderline to me. Some death metal can be extremely fast but that doesn't mean it's technical. I'm not sure where the point is where it's like "ok we're just got technical enough to be considered tech death", but you can easily discern it just by listening, like the fast death metal has lots of just straight up riffage and tremelo riffs but tech death usually is much more progressively structured and more complex. For example Martyr uses a lot of "outside" sounding chords with minor second/augmented/diminished tonalities and is very sporadic at times, their songs go through lots of riffs and it's not a totally set intro/verse/chorus/verse/bridge/chorus/end
or whatever. that basically sums up a lot of tech death.