The first time you listened to death metal

Even though I like some death metal now, the first death metal song I heard was Cannibal Corpse's Entrails Ripped From a Virgins Cunt, and I thought it was fucking terrible.

I kept hearing Death on the radio during the metal programs. I thought that the music was great, but the vocals pissed me off. Control Denied held me over, but I needed more, and Death and Opeth were my first targets. The vocals really fit them, and I just accepted them as a form of expression and emotion.

I think it was hearing the Cannibal Corpse 'Vile' album.

It was the song Orgasm Through Torture, I think. I was :lol: at the lyrics of that song, and the whole album.

actually, i don't remember what song, or band for that matter, it was when i first heard death metal. if you consider Fear Factory's early material death metal (or influenced by it), than it was that back in spring 2000, but from there, i'm not sure.

i guess for me it was Death's Scream Bloody Gore. I didn't listen to much after that. Now, I only listen to the most progressive of death metal now, and mostly progressive/symphonic/technical metal.

i remember when i firts heard i cum blood by cannibal corpse i thought it was disgraceful and still do but the first death metal songs i got into were cryptopsys - we bleed and decapitateds - humans dust.

actually, wait, it wasn't what i said. it was Canibal Corpse's "Hammer Smashed Face" when i saw Ace Ventura: Pet Detective for the first time back when it came out!! THAT was my first death metal experience!! :D :D :p

It was around '93. i was a big fan of Pantera, Metallica, Slayer and such bands then. One time, a local rock radio station played Sepultura's cover of Symptom of the universe and i was like ''Goddamn!, this is fucking heavy! Then they played Arise next and was totally blown away. I started waiting for the song to be played again and then... They played Cannibal Corpse's cover of Black Sabbath-Zero the Hero and thought... ''Fuck!'' Been a fan since!

forest of october said:
Opeth, Extol, Soilwork and In Flames aren't the best examples of death metal really...

Well, I know. I just find "pure" death metal for the most part - like, with the exception of say early Morbid Angel - to be sort of bland to me... The closest to it I listen to is Death and Extol who of course are still considered death metal, but still a bit different. Just how my tastes go though...... I prefer the more progressive or technical DM....with still intelligent lyrics :zombie: