Anyone else, enjoying the non-metal parts more than the metal parts?

I only listen to metal, but I like it when bands incorporate non-metal into their music too. For instance, I like Opeth's non-metal parts, but I like their metal parts better. I also like bands like Lacuna Coil and Katatonia that incorporate goth influences into their sound. I also like how Dark Tranquility are incorporating electronic music into their sound now. But overall, I love metal, and I would not like the bands I just mentioned if they weren't metal-based bands.

Atheist are definatly a band who use Jazz creativly, but with them it is completly integrated into the metal so it's never a case of just Jazz on it's own.

Necro Joe said:
Atheist are definatly a band who use Jazz creativly, but with them it is completly integrated into the metal so it's never a case of just Jazz on it's own.
I get your point...but they still fuse jazz into their music. So if you're talking about bands who break off into total genre differentiation segments, I agree that bands like Ephel Duath do not utilize the jazz element as well as Atheist but are still damn good and enjoyably creative. This is all opiniated though.

so I think incorporating other influences into your music is not bad, it shows a open-ness and willing-ness to diversify, just a shame that most bands seem to go backwards

I totally agree.
And also, since when is Tool considered a nu-metal band?

DiscipleOfPlato said:
I totally agree.
And also, since when is Tool considered a nu-metal band?

I was wondering the same thing. WTF? I see a lot of people saying this, which is dead wrong. Probably because they are mainstream? Dumb excuse, but I cant find the reason why anyone would even remotely consider Tool to be anywhere near "Nu Metal".

*shrugs*

It really depends. Sometimes I like my metal pure but some other music incorporated into it can be good. Some non-metal that is close to metal can mix well like grindcore or hardcore. Thrash Metal came up thanks to hardcore, so that's great even though people seem to think it as being pure metal. But sometimes its a bad idea to add some non-metal genre into heavy metal like emo for example. That's like a terrible mix. It's like eating fish with jam on it.
I eat fish and jam. Together.

My point is that anything can mix with anything else. Whether it works or not depends on the artist, but I've heard plenty that tells me metal mixing with other genres is a good thing. Every band's done it.

Metal+ country, rap, alternative, punk, electronica, techno, classical, 60's, 50's, jazz, swing, breakbeat, lounge, prog, ska(?), folk, Goth, Western, reggae, hardcore, even pop.

And most of them have worked...

oh gawd... here we go w/ the nu-metal crap again.... there's a whole longass thread about this and why the term 'nu-metal' is obsolete and total bullshit on General forum... go find it u bastards who still call things 'nu-metal'. so im not even gonna go into why its fuckin stupid...

anyway main topic, I LOOOOOOVE music with outside influences in it. people mentioned In Flames, which is definitely one of the better bands that do things like that. Look at Lunar Strain, their first album. They have 2 or 3 different parts/songs with a Euro/Sweden type culture feel to them. Pretty much every single In Flames album ever made has at least one song or over 1-2 minutes of great outside influences entering into the songs. Moonshield, Pallar Anders Visa, Acoustic Medley, Timeless, Dawn of A New Day, Whoracle, Dialogue With The Stars, etc.

Another one that isn't so hard-metal, but still good is Amorphis. try Tales From The Thousand Lakes (I think thats right). Dark Tranquillity even had some older material with this sort of thing like Insanity's Crescendo and Mine Is The Grandeur. even Old Man's Child used some classical guitarwork on In Defiance of Existence...

anything with correctly blended/used outside influences is good

Mixing in outside genres is not mandatory, but it sure fuckin helps. For example, Lux Occulta throw in jazz and trip hop into their very odd black metal and come away with something far more magnificent than if it had just been metal.

As in what? Not being "limited" to metal any more? Since when was metal a limited genre.
Since you said it should not include influences from other musicforms. Metal is a genre, all genres are categories and all categories are limited. If it was not limited they could include any music style they wish. And I think they should. As long as the result is good, that is. :)
If that's happening to you it just means you're not listening to a good metal band.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean that bands cannot be good and include other forms of music at the same time, then ofcourse it's your opinion. But if you mean that if a band, like Therion for instance exclude all non-metal elements from their music then there won't be much metal left to call the band a good METAL band, then I agree. However, that doesn't stop them from being a good band or fit in the genre.
If a band can write a good metal song then usually outside influences are either used sparingly (alongside the metal) or not at all.
I don't know. I mean, Hollenthon writes great metal songs, so does Rhapsody (if you are into powermetal) and Dimmu Borgir. Yet they also inlcude lots of elements of classical music.

I don't think metal bands (or any other bands for that matter) should write music based on genres. If a band likes 'pure' metal, and writes the best songs keeping within metal, then they should. There's no need to add classical elements just for the sake of adding classical music, like Metallica did with S&M. In that case I much prefer what Rage did with XIII, or what Dimmu Borgir has done with their latest release, used the non-metal parts to express their ideas.

Including a string/horn/acoustic/choir/rap/techno section to make up for your lack of riffs and songwriting is definatly not creative.
Ofcourse, so is using alot of riffing and solos to make up for bad song writing.
But ofcourse, that's a taste thing.