Non-Metal SONGS by Metal Bands

Zephyrus

Tyrants and Slaves
Jan 18, 2006
Maine or Iowa
Obviously inspired by the similarly-titled thread. Discuss your favorite songs that metal bands throw onto their albums that aren't like the rest of the metal songs, but are more than just a short, instrumental interlude. I'm talking about songs that bands give the same creative focus to as they do their metal songs.

My favortie non-metal songs by metal bands include the following...

Summoning
- "Dagor Bragollach" - this is one of my favorite songs off of Minas Morgul. A fantastic combination of piano, synths, drum effects and raw vocals. Sans guitars, it is the album's most epic song for sure.

Summoning - "Midrautas Vras" - marching drums, infectious brass fanfares, beastial howls, and lyrics growled in the black language of the Orcs make this one of the best songs featured on Oath Bound.

Aborym - "Tantra Bizarre" - Aborym tends to throw a couple non-metal tracks onto each of their albums, and this is my favorite. The band plays black metal with electronica/techno mixed in. So when the guitars are removed, you're left with a phrenetic, futuristic thrill-ride of fast-paced drum beats, catchy bass lines, and Yorga's hate-filled snarls.

Borknagar - "Om Hundrede Aar Er Alting Glemt" - Ivar Bjornson has composed a tragically beautiful piano interlude that really sets the mood for the album.

Kataxu - The synth-based half of Hunger of Elements - "In the Arms of the Astral World", "Nightsky" & "The Breath of Atlantis". Just listen to these songs at night, sitting under the stars with a cup of Irish coffee. It's an amazing experience.

Melechesh - "The Scribes of Kur" - You'd expect a Middle-Eastern band which plays songs about Sumerian mythology ought to throw in an instrumental done with traditional instruments. Don't ask me what these instruments are called, but its a very cool song.

Black Sabbath - "Planet Caravan" and "Solitude" - easily as good as any of their metal songs.

Tons of Opeth, of course, but that's no big surprise.

Iron Maiden - "Prodigal Son" was pretty light on the metal, and may be my favorite song off of Killers.

Celtic Frost - "Tristesses de la Lune" was fucking amazing. So much passion in the female vocals, and the chord progressions were just beautiful. God, I wish they'd done more stuff like that.

Down - "Jail" - amazingly atmospheric and creepy; vastly different from just about everything else by Down. "Landing on the Mountains of Meggido" was pretty cool too, but kinda bores me after a while.

Cathedral - "Purple Wonderland" - the goth/electronica passage is beautiful, and really ominous. I'd love to hear Cathedral do some kind of post-punk/darkwave album in the vein of that song.

I'm sure I'll come up with plenty of others later on.

Graveland - Outro (To Die in Fight) - from Immortal Pride - Darken's most epic piece of non-metal music released to date (including Lord Wind's discography). Rousing and triumphant beyond words.

Beherit - Summerlands - from Drawing Down the Moon - A non-metal track that manages to be just as strange and alien as the rest of the album, without sounding out of place. Also hints at the direction Beherit would take after said album.

Nokturnal Mortum - Black Moon Overture - from Goat Horns - A masterfully composed neoclassical piece that stands as the greatest and most fitting introduction to an album I've come across.

Most of the Type O Negative - October Rust album is not metal, more gothic rock, but it is utterly fantastic. Lacrimas Profundere also made a good transition from being a metal band to a rock band, Filthy Notes for Frozen Hearts is great if you are into that style.

Atheist - Samba Briza

Latin/jazz/funk song off Elements

I actually quite like this song, even though the album is quite hit & miss.

I second Black Moon Overture.

Opeth - Benighted, Harvest, Silhouette

Amorphis - My Kantele (acoustic version)

Emperor - Alsvatr (The Oath)

Orphaned Land - Building the Ark

Pain of Salvation - Pluvius Aestivus

Agalloch - The Misshapen Steed

My Dying Bride - Black God (this is some dark shit)

Moonspell - Disappear Here (the only good song on The Butterfly Effect)

Death - Voice of the Soul

Ephel Duath - Praha

Arcturus - Ad Astra

Opeth -windowpane which is my favorite non metal opeth song and song by them in general.

I will add Death Whispered A Lullaby,Closure, and Benighted

Amorphis -enigma.

Katatonia -day.

Tristania -cure.