Non-metal albums by metal bands

challenge_everything

Feb 9, 2006
great southern wasteland
Is it a good idea when metal bands make acoustic/mellow/folk/ambient/other non-metal albums?

Discuss good examples & bad.

I'm not talking about where a band completely stops being metal (ie Anathema, The Gathering) but more the situation where a band tries a one-off experiment ie Opeth's Damnation, Drudkh's Songs of Grief and Solitude.

My favourite example would be Borknagar's Origin which I thought was an outstanding album. Damnation was a good album in its own right but paled in comparison to Opeth's other work.

I guess by what you said they don't really count but I love Green Carnation's 'The Acoustic Verses'. I think 'Damnation' is also one of the top 3 Opeth albums.

Opeth's Damnation is a pretty enjoyable album.

I'm listening to Leviathan - A Silhouette in Splinters right now. Which is not ambient in the truest sense, but it is dark, minimal music, with almost no drums or vocals. It's the closest to Lurker Of Chalice that any Leviathan material gets. Unfortunately, it's only on LP, and it fetches a pretty high price on ebay.

Borknagar - Origin

A beautiful piece of acoustic folk, mixed with a little prog. Excellent use of string instruments and flutes, and of course Vintersorg's unique clean voice. It's my least favorite Borknagar album, but still an enjoyable break from the black metal barrage that I normally assault my ears with.

Borknagar - Origin

A beautiful piece of acoustic folk, mixed with a little prog. Excellent use of string instruments and flutes, and of course Vintersorg's unique clean voice. It's my least favorite Borknagar album, but still an enjoyable break from the black metal barrage that I normally assault my ears with.

Perhaps it doesnt reach the heights of some Borknagar albums, but as a cohesive work, it's one of their best.

I agree on Opeth-damnation which is one of my favorites from them.

Drudkh - Songs of Grief and Solitude
Opeth - Damnation (I really don't mind any of their albums tbh)

It is great thing when band does something different. And if it is success, why not. Opeth's Damnation is one of my favourite albums from them. Ulver's Kvelldssanger is great too, but I can't say Ulver as a metal band - it have been so long when they really were. Visor om Slutet from Finntroll is great but it could been better, though it still is 3rd best.

Ulver - Blood Inside
Probably my favourite Ulver material, some of it is very moving.

Indeed, but Ulver is not metal band. You could say Kveldssanger, cause they were metal band then, for a short time before and after.

I guess by what you said they don't really count but I love Green Carnation's 'The Acoustic Verses'. I think 'Damnation' is also one of the top 3 Opeth albums.
Both stellar albums. Damnation has the perfect 70's Prog rock vibe that connot be duplicated. Windowpane is possible one of their best songs.

god hate us all is a bad non-metal album

:lol::lol::lol:

serious:

Damnation is an excellent work, they coudn't do it better.

origin from borknagar is another good work too, but they shoudn't do it again. one album is enough.

the only band that still rules is The Gathering. if_then_else is much better than the album before mandylion called almost a dance.

and bands like anathema, tiamat, my dying bride, paradise lost, pyogenesis and many others should think very well before to record some shits that they recorded.