Cover albums: Yay or Nay

Oblivious Maximus

I am the worm
Nov 5, 2003
Serving time in the middle of nowhere
What do think about cover albums? Are they good, bad? Should metal bands do them? I haven't heard to many of them, so I'm undeicded. I did like Slayer's Undisputed Attitude, and Six Feet Under's Graveyard Classics was one of the funniest things I've ever heard. I think it's interesting when metal bands do covers of non-metal songs. In some cases it can be a good cover, or in other cases a shitty cover that runins the song.

Nay, although I think bands should do a cover on each album.

Not as a requirement, but I think its a good idea to do one. Then you get things like Death's - Painkiller, which outright ruled.

I don't mind cover albums some turn out to be better that the original version. I like when a metal band covers a non-metal song. For example, Metallica on La Bamba sounds excellent, Blind Guardian on To France and Mr. Sandman amazing shit. Pantera on Paranoid sounds better than the original.

It depends sometimes they work perfectly and some they shit a lot.

Every cover album I've heard was lacking, even those that tried to be innovative like Tori Amos- Strange Little Girls. Tribute albums are horrid, I don't know why people keep making them. All together doing a cover that is actually worth listening to is very hard, so naturally making an entire album that is worth listening to is virtually impossible...

Jean-Pierre said:
I miss what made Death's cover of Painkiller so good. It would be enjoyable if Chuck hadn't butchered the solo.
You must not be a Death fan, I own both albums and I like Deaths version better for it intensity. I can't really explain why, I geuss it is the whole package.