brutal bands covering heavy classics and other softer songs

Hey Iceheart, "Paint it black" is by the Rolling Stones. I haven't heard Taetre's version, but the original is superb and I think it would be hard to improve on it.
It was Iron Maiden who made "Prowler". I don't know if Judas Priest also have made a song called "Prowler", but on Maiden's first album the first song is called "Prowler".
As someone pointed out, "House of the rising sun" was done by The Animals. As you may know they didn't write it, it's an old traditional song, but their version is the best I've heard and it's superb all the way through!!!!!
Then there's also the Type O Negative covers. On "Bloody Kisses" they covered "Summer breeze" by Seals & Crofts. I also have the original and it's also good. Isley Brothers have also done a version of it and it's great too! On "October rust" they did "Cinnamon girl" by Neil Young and on "World coming down" they did a Beatles medley of "Day tripper", "If I needed someone" & "I want you (she's so heavy)". The three originals are also very good! Oh, and on the rerelease of "Origin of the feces" they made a cover of Black Sabbath's "Paranoid", which is very different than the original. They also did "Black Sabbath" for the "Nativity in black" tribute and it's also on their "Least worst of" with an alternate lyric which also is on their "My girlfriend's girlfriend" single.

Solarisis has done a pretty brutal version of Metallica's "nothing else matters" which is worth a listen. Thyrfing has made a better cover of "over the hills and far away" by Gary Moore than Nightwish.

Originally posted by SecretFace
children of bodom did iron maiden's the trooper too

No they did not. It been Sentenced's cover of The Trooper, the mp3 of which some evil minds renamed so that people were mislead to think that it was CoB's.

Bodom has covered Aces High, however.

Originally posted by rauko
Solarisis has done a pretty brutal version of Metallica's "nothing else matters" which is worth a listen.

I want to hear that. =) Now that there's no Audiogalaxy, I have no idea where to get it. Tips?

WHY hasn't anyone mentioned Opeth's very own cover of Iron Maiden's "Remember Tomorrow" yet??? It's excellent! And so is their version of Celtic Frost's "Circle Of The Tyrants".

I like covers, those tributes are usually very cool, I really like that Mercyful Fate tribute album released a few years ago by Listenable Records. It features great bands like Dark Tranquillity, Emperor, Sacramentum, Luciferion (who seem to appear solely on tribute albums), Gardenian, Dimension Zero...

Originally posted by Board
Hey Iceheart, "Paint it black" is by the Rolling Stones. I haven't heard Taetre's version, but the original is superb and I think it would be hard to improve on it.

Ahh...yeah, of course...Rolling Stones..... . Well...Taetre's version is...funny ;) ...of course not as good as the original..

Maybe Prowler is by Iron Maiden...I might have mixed it up..

:)

Agalloch - Kneel To The Cross (original is shit, this rocks)

Cradle Of Filth - Hell Awaits (good Slayer cover)
Cradle Of Filth - Sleepless (prefer this to original)
Cradle Of Filth - For Those Who Died (great Sabbat cover)
Cradle done lost more but couldn't be arsed listing them. Often their covers are better than their own material.

Dark Tranquillity - 22 Acacia Avenue
Dark Tranquillity - My Friend Of Misery

Albums like "Darkthrone, Holy Darkthrone" are good for black metal fans to show how other bands can cover the greats of the genre. There are some great tracks on that one, in particular "Cromlech" by Emperor.

Dimmu Borgir - Metal Heart
Dimmu Borgir - Burn In Hell

Emperor - Funeral Fog

Geasa - Spancill Hill
Cruachan - Spancill Hill *2 covers of a classic Irish folk ballad*

Cruachan - Ride On
Cruachan - Rocky Road To Dublin *more Irish folk songs*

In Flames - Eye Of The Beholder
In Flames - Murders In The Rue Morgue

Iced Earth's covers are great, especially the Iron Maiden ones.

There are also lots of great Maiden covers by bands like Children Of Bodom, Arch Enemy, Lord Belial, Therion, Sonata Arctica, Six Feet Under... and one that few have heard, Black Abyss' great cover of "The Trooper"

As Culture AK47 said, there are many many bands that made cover from Iron Maiden songs, even death metal or black metal bands (Lord Belial for eg.) but most of the time I was quite disappointed by these cover, I think it's quite difficult to cover Maiden's songs... One of the most good cover I heard was Cradle Of Filth "Hallowed be thy name"...

Some other great covers by metal bands are for me the famous "Sweet dreams" by Marylin Manson from Eurythmics, "Summernight City" by Therion from ABBA, "Stripped" by Rammstein from Depeche Mode (and I don't like these 2 bands ^^) and the better cover for me is "Wicked games" by Him from the Chris Isaac song (btw, there is 2 versions of this cover).
I think these covers give something more than the original version...

Originally posted by Board
It was Iron Maiden who made "Prowler". I don't know if Judas Priest also have made a song called "Prowler", but on Maiden's first album the first song is called "Prowler".
As someone pointed out, "House of the rising sun" was done by The Animals. As you may know they didn't write it, it's an old traditional song, but their version is the best I've heard and it's superb all the way through!!!!!
Then there's also the Type O Negative covers. On "Bloody Kisses" they covered "Summer breeze" by Seals & Crofts. I also have the original and it's also good. Isley Brothers have also done a version of it and it's great too! On "October rust" they did "Cinnamon girl" by Neil Young and on "World coming down" they did a Beatles medley of "Day tripper", "If I needed someone" & "I want you (she's so heavy)". The three originals are also very good! Oh, and on the rerelease of "Origin of the feces" they made a cover of Black Sabbath's "Paranoid", which is very different than the original. They also did "Black Sabbath" for the "Nativity in black" tribute and it's also on their "Least worst of" with an alternate lyric which also is on their "My girlfriend's girlfriend" single.

great type o covers! "black sabbath" is very very scary! and that paranoid cover is VERY VERY doomy! :lol: