good instrumental non-metal

OK, cool! I remember listening to those MySpace tracks a few times back when it was posted. I like it.

Add to favorites ! Thats what I did way back. I watched all those origional lineup vids again two nights ago, those guys just get the job done for me.

Good call on Jeff Beck - Matt. I have always had Wired and Blow by Blow the only other one I have is Guitar Shop which has some good stuff as well.

You sound too narrow minded to expand to me. There is only a few styles of music "I cant stand" (to use your words). Also your emphisis on "non metal" indicates that your thinking is along the lines that there is only metal and then there is other stuff "which I cant stand". Seems like that train of thought leaves you dead in the water for any new horizons.
You are only partially right. Yes, I am narrow minded. But I indeed have heard non metal that I have liked, as I already have mentioned, and this music happened to be mostly instrumental. I will admit that I am too narrow minded to expand into hip hop, indie, mainstream rock, or even classic rock. However, I can see myself getting into good instrumental music and even some dark ambient/elecrtonica.

Good stuff here & add Sephiroth & Ulf Söderberg to that list.
Speaking of that, Ulf Söderberg totally pwns Sephiroth. It's like he took all the left over tracks from Ulf Söderberg and used them for Sephiroth (not that Sephiroth is bad by any means, just totally worse than Ulf Söderberg :p).

Since a lot of people are recommending post-rock, I'd highly recommend If These Trees Could Talk (particularly the song Malabar Front). I also think you'd like 65daysofstatic (hence the electronic part), so try that too if you want.

I wanted to recommend you something, and then I read the original post better and realized that you mostly seem to be under a severely misguided and ignorant impression that modern rock is representative of non-metal music as a whole, so I decided not to. Sorry.

Al DiMeola - Elegant Gypsy

Best.
Instrumental.
Album.
Of.
All.
Time.

Definitely in my top 5 favorite albums of all time. Al Di Meola is a genius musician.

I wanted to recommend you something, and then I read the original post better and realized that you mostly seem to be under a severely misguided and ignorant impression that modern rock is representative of non-metal music as a whole, so I decided not to. Sorry.

I will hand it to you, that's pretty damn funny.

DiMeola, Mclaughlin, Paco, Ponty, Goodman, Clark, Morse, Corea, Beck, Hammer, Bolin, Cobham are legendary amounst early fusion heads and for the most part came from or were influenced by Return to Forever, The Mahavishnu Orchestra or Frank Zappa

I wasn't really saying that modern rock is representative of non-metal. It's just the non-metal I am exposed to the most at the moent, for obvious reasons. Of course I am aware of the existence of classic rock, and other modern non-rock genres (electronic, trance, modern jazz, pop, hip hop -lol at the last two-). If anything, I may feel a little bit that mainstream music as a whole represents non-metal, but not modern rock. Though admitedly this would be a skewed view as well. I guess I was getting annoyed by my roommate blasting Nickleback at that time.

Some of the biggest turnoffs for me in non-metal are the lyrics and the vocals. So I'm looking for good instrumental non-metal. I've been exposed to plenty of regular non-metal, and I couldn't get into it. My roommate listens to shit like Nickleback, Hinder, Smile Empty Soul, Fuel, etc. and I can't stand anything along those lines (I despise both the lyrics and the music). I admit that I listen to almost only metal, and wish to expand my horizons. I can't get into any of the non-metal my roommate listens to, and I think that instrumental music may be a good starting point for getting into non-metal. Mind you, I cannot get into traditional jazz (Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Bill Evans, etc.) so don't recommend that. Back in college, I had a roommate who listened to some instrumental stuff like Mahavishu Orchestra, John McLaughlin, Guru Guru, etc., so maybe I'm looking for stuff along those lines. I am somewhat familiar with classical music, and do listen to it sometimes (Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, etc.).

check out my band:

www.myspace.com/raynhamhall

I wasn't really saying that modern rock is representative of non-metal. It's just the non-metal I am exposed to the most at the moent, for obvious reasons. Of course I am aware of the existence of classic rock, and other modern non-rock genres (electronic, trance, modern jazz, pop, hip hop -lol at the last two-). If anything, I may feel a little bit that mainstream music as a whole represents non-metal, but not modern rock. Though admitedly this would be a skewed view as well. I guess I was getting annoyed by my roommate blasting Nickleback at that time.

Thing is all rock or any genre of music for that matter covers a broader range of personal styles or creative level. Also, there is no such thing as "classic rock", that is simply a variety of older bands of different styles that is... well... old, so for lack of a better term or way to annoy me, the media and all the bandwagon jumpers decided to call it ALL... "classic rock". So while they may be classics of rock its far from a genre or single style. Some of it, which is the rootes of my music listening is awesome, though the "hits" have been way overplayed. While most of my music purchases over the years have evolved around more progressive styles of rock, fusion or metal... or the blues, I can still enjoy a well written "mainstream" song. I even truely enjoy a select handful of "Nickleback" songs, I have never let any clikish love or hate trends steer my personal opinions of what I find stimulating.

Im a closed book on such styles as punk, black, death and thrash metal, rap or hip hop, trance or electronica so I understand what its like to be narrow... yet I listen to other music from smooth jazz to Symphony X (for examples) all in the same day. I guess music has to have some level of integrity, or at least a good guitar groove for me to enjoy. Then again I really like the old jazz standards as well as big band swing (mostly absent of guitar), but they had integrity. You get into some of the old jazz and it was the "progressive" music of its era. They put alot into their music, that generation.

I guess Im just saying dont lump all modern rock into the same old thing. Many of those people have put together good songs, many of which were pounded to death by the radio... but they started out good.