recommend me some non-metal THAT ISN'T ABOUT GIRLS/RELATIONSHIPS

Life Sucks

and then you die
Dec 30, 2002
Die bitch die!!!!!
Visit site
Aside from the aggressive, dark, or emotive nature of the music, one of the things I like so much about metal is that it is the only genre where most of the lyrics don't deal with girls/relationships. Surely, there must be some non-metal out there where the lyrics don't deal with girls/relationships. Instrumental suggestions are welcome. One quick note: I'm not into jazz. I've tried to get into it before, but it doesn't click with me for some reason.

Rage Against The Machine, even if you dont like Rap they have awesome riffs and solos
Audioslave
The Mars Volta

Most non-metal bands have a song or two about relationships, just dont listen to those songs. Some I can recommend.

Alice In Chains
Jimi Hendrix
Santana

Ill come up with more later.

One or two songs with girly lyrics is fine. I hate bands where it's all they sing about, and that is the case with most non metal. "She said" is probably the most common line in any alt/indy rock song.

I wouldnt say its the case with most non metal but its common in indie. I mean in pop music its common but theres a lot more non metal than that.

Too many bands to list. Surely the most important factor when looking for new music should be the music itself, not the subject matter of the lyrics.

Pffft. Don't tell the guy what to look for in his music listening, that's retarded. When it come to non-metal, lyrics is probably my most important factor.

Those of ya'll claiming there's tons of non-metal without reltaionship lyrics, please do tell, since I can't think of much.

Rage Against The Machine rec seconded. Politic stuff is a good place to go for non-girl lyrics.

I've got shitloads of non-metal that isn't about girls/relationships or is in another language so I can't tell either way. I'm just not sure if much of it would be downbeat or depressing enough for you.

Have A Nice Life(not to be missed!)
Animal Collective
Mogwai
Explosions In The Sky
Deerhunter(the shoegaze band not the prog. one)
Interpol(have to throw it out)
Black Dice

Pffft. Don't tell the guy what to look for in his music listening, that's retarded. When it come to non-metal, lyrics is probably my most important factor.

Um, I didn't "tell him" to do anything. It seems odd to me that lyrics should be the be-all end-all of your enjoyment of a particular band/song. If you feel the same as him, good for you.

Those of ya'll claiming there's tons of non-metal without reltaionship lyrics, please do tell, since I can't think of much.

Faith No More
The Jesus Lizard
Mogwai
Sex Pistols
Tomahawk
Mr. Bungle
Pink Floyd
Radiohead
High Pass Filter
The Heliocentrics
Dj Shadow
Massive Attack
Alice In Chains
Soundgarden
Jurassic 5
Wu-Tang Clan
Regurgitator
Midnight Oil

Basically I could go on all day, but the request is far too broad really. "just don't list Jazz because it doesn't click with me" doesn't exactly narrow it down much.

Also, most bands that have songs about relationships generally balance the subject matter out depending on the song. I can't think of any bands that just have songs about relationships tbh. If you're going to rule out listening to a band because they happen to have a couple of songs about girls, then you're going to miss out on a fuckload of great music.

I honestly can't think of 1 band in my 4000+ song library that sings about relationships, though there probably are a few hiding somewhere.

I've always seen songs about that type of stuff in the rock/pop genres, probably some country and rap. But there are shit tons of other genres out there, where such lyrics would be out of place IMO.

Classical Starters Kit:

Bach- Brandenburg Concertos 1-6
Beethoven- Symphonies 1-9
Mozart- Piano Concertos 20-27

:worship:

Cheer-Accident (experimental/alternative)
Russian Circles (Instrumental/math/post-rock)
Boris (stoner rock/post-rock/drone/etc) - they sing in Japanese so even if they are talking about girls, you probably won't know it.
Dälek (hip-hop/shoegaze/experimental)

Aside from the aggressive, dark, or emotive nature of the music, one of the things I like so much about metal is that it is the only genre where most of the lyrics don't deal with girls/relationships. Surely, there must be some non-metal out there where the lyrics don't deal with girls/relationships.
Did you already check the recommendations in the thread you started in the GMD-forum?

I just found out that a few days ago someone posted nearly all the songs of one of the albums I mentioned in the GMD-forum on youtube. The clips aren't actual videos, they only show the painting(s) which the lyrics refer to. (Sometimes, Edvard Munch did different versions of his paintings.) Here are a few examples:

"Skrik"

"Angst"

"Syk pike"

Another album which came to my mind is "The Man From God Knows Where" by Tom Russell. It's about a part of American immigration history, told by the example of Tom Russell's own family whose roots can be traced back to Ireland and Norway. There are also some lyrics about relationships on that album, but that is not what the lyrics focus on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes I think that people who listen to metal unfairly get labeled as being close-minded unsophisticated idiots but then there's threads like these that remind me where that reputation comes from.

If you seriously think that almost all music aside from metal is about girls/relationships then you desperately need to crawl out from whatever rock you've been living under. How can you even make that claim when clearly everyone saying that here has no musical perspective whatsoever and barely even listened to anything that isn't either metal or mainstream rock.

Asking for music that isn't about girls is like asking for food that doesn't taste like pizza.

Sometimes I think that people who listen to metal unfairly get labeled as being close-minded unsophisticated idiots but then there's threads like these that remind me where that reputation comes from.

If you seriously think that almost all music aside from metal is about girls/relationships then you desperately need to crawl out from whatever rock you've been living under. How can you even make that claim when clearly everyone saying that here has no musical perspective whatsoever and barely even listened to anything that isn't either metal or mainstream rock.

Asking for music that isn't about girls is like asking for food that doesn't taste like pizza.

While I dont think Life Sucks is an idiot, I agree with you. Its the same with metal and cheesy lyrics about satan. I wish people could understand how to look at different forms of music.

Current 93 - All the Pretty Little Horses

Despite the 'girly' sounding name this is probably one of the most disturbing albums I've ever heard.

Death in June - But, What Ends When The Symbols Shatter?

If you want to check out some instrumental stuff I would suggest Grails.Their "burden" and "redlight" would probably be the best choices.They do great shifts in mood.