Favourite non-metal releases

CiG

Aaaaaaaah!
May 22, 2015
W.A.
rateyourmusic.com
I don't know if a thread like this already exists but I was just thinking, even though most of us have fairly predictable tastes in metal within a metal crowd, I've noticed that many here have quite unpredictable and diverse tastes outside of metal.

So we should talk about our favourite non-metal releases and to create the topic's foundation that we can build upon with discussion, we should list our 10 top picks.

1. Laurence Rosenthal & The London Symphony Orchestra - Clash Of The Titans OST
2. Basil Poledouris ‎- Conan The Barbarian OST
3. Genesis - Trespass
4. Enya - The Memory Of Trees
5. Devo ‎- Duty Now For The Future
6. Loreena McKennitt ‎- Parallel Dreams
7. MF DOOM ‎- Operation: Doomsday
8. Void - Sessions 1981-83
9. Clannad ‎- Dúlamán
10. Ol' Dirty Bastard ‎- Return To The 36 Chambers: The Dirty Version

ol-dirty-bastard-1f.jpg

My list gets a lot more interesting beyond the first 10, I really love music like 70's/early 80's Tom Waits, Van Morrison, Zola Jesus, La Vampires, Dead Moon, Terror Bird, old Madonna, Damh The Bard, dälek, Shonen Knife, Ozric Tentacles, Violent Onsen Geisha, Uruk-Hai, Depeche Mode, Dark Ages, Moondog, Ni~Hao!, Magazine, The Buzzcocks, MC5, Sandy Denny, Beth Orton and on and on...​

Last edited:
Reactions: Satanstoenail
I don't know if I could ever rank my 10 favorite releases as that's just too damn difficult because I adore so much stuff, it gets particularly messy when you start including classical stuff with how myriad and byzantine that gets. I can list a lot of my favorite non-metal musicians with relative ease though.

My tastes include (but are not anywhere near limited to) William Byrd, Thomas Tallis, Antonio Vivaldi, Niccolo Paganini, J.S. Bach, Ludwig van Beethoven, Johannes Brahms, Franz Joseph Hadyn, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Vincenzo Bellini, Giuseppe Verdi, Maurice Ravel, Johann Strauss I, Johann Strauss II, Richard Strauss, Felix Mendelssohn, Camille Saint-Saens, Claude Debussy, Richard Wagner, Giacomo Puccini, Antonin Dvorak, G.F. Handel, Pyotr Tchaikovsky, Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov, Modest Mussorgsky, Bela Bartok, The London Philharmonic Orchestra, The New York Philharmonic Orchestra, Glenn Gould, Arthur Rubinstein, Sviatoslav Richter, Sergei Rachmaninoff, Arnold Schoenberg, Karlheinz Stockhausen, Steve Reich, Luigi Nono, The Three Tenors, Mario Lanza, Luciano Pavarotti, Dame Joan Sutherland, Paco de Lucía, W.C. Handy, Scott Joplin, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Robert Johnson, Son House, Woody Guthrie, Rev. Blind Gary Davis, Lead Belly, Blind Blake, Mississippi John Hurt, Big Bill Broonzy, Frank Stokes, Mississippi Fred McDowell, Ma Rainey, Johnny Shines, Memphis Minnie, Josh White, Henry Thomas, Etta James, Blind Willie Johnson, Sonny Boy Williamson I, Sonny Boy Williamson II, Ralph Stanley, The Stanley Brothers, Bill Monroe/Bill Monroe and His Bluegrass Boys, Gus Cannon, Pink Anderson, Texas Alexander, Robert Nighthawk Jr., Lonnie Johnson, Tommy Johnson, Tommy McClennan, Bessie Smith, Lightnin' Hopkins, Blind Willie McTell, John Lee Hooker, Tampa Red, Skip James, B.B. King, Freddie King, Albert King, Albert Collins, Jimmy Reed, Muddy Waters, Brother Joe May, Paul Robeson, George "Harmonica" Smith, Earl Hooker, Johnny "Guitar" Watson, Guitar Slim, Magic Sam, Memphis Slim, Elmore James, Guitar Shorty, Big Joe Turner, The Temptations, The Coasters, Hank Ballard & The Midnighters, The Persuasions, Dick Dale, Link Wray, Sam Cooke, Al Green, Ray Charles, James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Percy Sledge, Jimmie Rodgers, Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Buddy Holly/Buddy Holly and The Crickets, Eddie Cochran, Billy Fury, Fats Domino, Johnny Burnette, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, Gene Vincent, Carl Perkins, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Kinks, The Sonics, The Animals, The Yardbirds, Mitch Ryder/Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels, John Mayall/John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers, The Ventures, Nero & The Gladiators, The Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Paul Butterfield's Better Days, Elvin Bishop, Mike Bloomfield, The Byrds, Bob Dylan, Rod Stewart, Elton John, Jeff Beck/The Jeff Beck Group, Screaming Lord Sutch, Arthur Brown, Joe Cocker, Van Morrison, Santana, Jefferson Starship, Jefferson Airplane, Jake Holmes, The Grateful Dead, Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Allman Brothers Band, The Doors, Pink Floyd, The Stooges, MC5, Frank Zappa/Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention, Buffalo Springfield, Joan Baez, Arlo Guthrie, Neil Young, CSN/CSNY, David Crosby, Stephen Stills, Graham Nash, Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band, The Velvet Underground, Free, Atomic Rooster, Sweet, Coven, Music Machine, Big Brother & The Holding Company, Janis Joplin, H.P. Lovecraft, The Residents, Grand Funk Railroad, Hawkwind, Bob Seger, Foghat, Traffic, Cheap Trick, Stevie Wonder, The Cars, Bruce Springsteen/Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band, May Blitz, The Edgar Broughton Band, Van Der Graaf Generator, Yes, ELP, The Amboy Dukes, Blue Cheer, Iron Butterfly, Cream, The Band, Canned Heat, Sir Lord Baltimore, Primevil, Warpig, Blues Creation, Jimi Hendrix/The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Mountain, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Rush, Aerosmith, Queen, Bad Company, ZZ Top, Eric Clapton, Ted Nugent, Thin Lizzy, Gary Moore, Nazareth, Rose Tattoo, Heart, Trapeze, Steppenwolf, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Ramones, Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Damned, Television, Patti Smith/The Patti Smith Group, Tom Waits, Lou Reed, New York Dolls, Blue Öyster Cult, The Runaways, AC/DC, KISS, David Bowie, Minor Threat, Black Flag, X, Dead Kennedys, Bad Brains, Misfits, The Germs, Johnny Thunders/Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers, Joan Jett/Joan Jett and The Blackhearts, The Buzzcocks, Public Image Ltd., Kraftwerk, The Slits, Siouxsie & The Banshees, G.G. Allin, Guitar Wolf, Iggy Pop, Rick James, Michael Jackson, Prince, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Airbourne, etc.

Just a very small insight into my non-metal listening habits.

Last edited:
HlKQHskI9mzweh0iCM9k9Ejfo1_250.gif

@CASSETTEISGOD
Familiar with them, but haven't heard that release. I only have Dowsing Aneome with Copper Tongue and Hubardo. I like the track though. They really do that disjointed avantgarde/jazz stuff pretty well. Not sure why I had stopped listening to them. The track Aura on an Aslyum Wall is my absolute favorite from them.

I'll attempt this because my ADHD is strong with now. In no particular order top ten non metal and like nonmetal related things (i.e. neofolk and stuff or else this list would be just a ton of neofolk).

Bjork - Vespertine
Queens of the Stone Age - ... Like Clockwork
Lauryn Hill - The MisEducation of Lauryn Hill
The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute
Motorpyscho - Heavy Metal Fruit
Natacha Atlas - The Best of
The Sisters of Mercy - Floodlands
Sun Kil Moon - Benji
Cheb Khaled - s/t?
Glass Prism - Poe Through the Glass Prism
Fela Kuti - The Best of the Black President

Reactions: CiG
Cool list, I love Fela Kuti myself.

Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill
brings back some memories, that and The Score are masterpieces of their genre. I need to give them a listen again soon.

Really difficult but I'll list some albums off the top of my head.

Camel - Camel
Camel - The Snow Goose
Yes - Close to the Edge
David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars
Swans - White Light From the Mouth of Infinity
Swans - Greed
Radiohead - The Bends
Rise Against - Revolutions Per Minute
ZZ Top - Eliminator
Clutch - Earth Rocker
Clutch - Blast Tyrant
Rare Bird - Rare Bird
Tad - Inhaler
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Kult - Spokojnie
Dead Can Dance - Withing the Realms of a Dying Sun
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Wire - Pink Flag
Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak
Godpseed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Hands Like Antennas to Heaven
AC/DC - Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
King Crimson - Red
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
Can - Tago Mago
Can - Ege Bamyasi
Amon Düül II - Yeti
Fugazi - Repeater

Last edited:
I used to Dj psytrance. More heavy/techy/full on stuff than Astral Projection though. Met heaps of metal heads at psytrance parties. I got so into it that I listened to pretty much nothing but psytrance between about 2001-2003. Now I can't stand it. And the scene is full of passive aggressive designer hippie fucktards which doesn't help.

Well I don't think it's evolved much, every newish psytrance project I've heard just seems to be retreading the same territory covered by Astral Projection, Hallucinogen etc, which can be fatiguing. But yeah, providing you don't listen it to death for two years straight it's pretty good music :p.

And on a related note, anyone who doesn't like this has no taste at all:

Well I don't think it's evolved much, every newish psytrance project I've heard just seems to be retreading the same territory covered by Astral Projection, Hallucinogen etc, which can be fatiguing. But yeah, providing you don't listen it to death for two years straight it's pretty good music :p.
Well I was into it until about 2006-07 I think but yeah I agree it stagnated. This was the type of stuff I used to play:

And on a related note, anyone who doesn't like this has no taste at all:

Shpongle are impressive musically but it's not my thing at all. Too happy/hippie.

Shpongle are impressive musically but it's not my thing at all. Too happy/hippie.

Shpongle have a weird emotional palette. On the surface their music is upbeat, but there's an unnerving darker current running beneath it. I know their music is for tripping, but when I've tripped on it it tends to creep me out.

Gna need to check that stuff out^, I've been trying to find some more decent psytrance artists for a while.

Shpongle have a weird emotional palette. On the surface their music is upbeat, but there's an unnerving darker current running beneath it. I know their music is for tripping, but when I've tripped on it it tends to creep me out.
Yeah it's that world music/middle eastern/minor chord/flautist flourish wankery that gets me. Quite a big part of it all though really.

Gna need to check that stuff out^, I've been trying to find some more decent psytrance artists for a while.
I just had a listen back through a few tracks and I have no idea if you'll like any of it.

Last edited:
Something like this. I limited it to one from each artist to make it more interesting. A few of them are quite metal-sounding albums from punk bands, but I'll keep them in:

1. Anti-Nowhere League - The Perfect Crime
2. Sticky Filth - Nektar der Götter
3. Bloodhound Gang - One Fierce Beer Coaster
4. The Runaways - The Runaways
5. Plasmatics - Coup d'État
6. Headless Chickens - Body Blow
7. Björk - Homogenic
8. Dayglo Abortions - Two Dogs Fucking
9. SPK - Leichenschrei
10. Throbbing Gristle - Part Two: The Endless Not

Just missing out are The B-52's, New Model Army, and Night Sun.