CiG

Relaxer
May 22, 2015
W.A.
rateyourmusic.com
1 9 8 5

Devo_10-yxIJZA.gh6gfr5R5fpHHl1vmYHwBMyOp.jpg

Obviously make sure to hit up RYM yourself and search your favourite genres.

The deadline is 7th of March 2018.

The rules:
- submit at least 5 releases.
- first place in your rankings gets 10 points, 2nd gets 9, etcetc, 10th gets 1.
- feel free to post more than 10, but only the top 10 will get points.
- feel free to post less than 10, the same scoring will apply.
- feel free not to rank your picks, in which case all ten picks will get 5.5 points.

GNMD = General Non-Metal Discussion, so NO METAL ALBUMS are to be included in anybody's list.

Have fun or die!

tumblr_olkongvHNV1tivikeo1_500.gif

Last edited:
'hounds of love' (the song) is kind of the 'hyperballad' of this year, or maybe its counterpoint. both are extremely vivid songs which take different, related approaches to the psychology/sacrifices of loving another person, with weird, exhilarating choruses and even a shared motif of throwing. both are amazing. i have more reservations about that album as a whole than i do about POST so i'm not sure if it'll get to the top of my list, but it peaks super high at least.

1. Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
2. Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
3. Rush - Power Windows
4. Black Flag - Loose Nut
5. Highwaymen - Highwayman
6. George Jones - Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes?
7. Phil Collins - No Jacket Required
8. R.E.M. - Fables of the Reconstruction
9. Meat Puppets - Up on the Sun
10. Black Flag - In My Head

This may or may not change depending on if I actually remember to edit it when the time comes so for now consider it preliminary. It was quite a struggle picking either Rain Dogs or Hounds of Love for number 1 as both are as brilliant as any album can get but Rain Dogs has the slight edge. Funny to think they were released a week apart from each other. Also, I keep forgetting Black Flag had two albums out that year. For some reason I always think In My Head was '86. Great year for country legends too with not just the Jones and Highwaymen albums but good solo releases from Cash, Waylon and Willie but also Merle Haggard and David Allan Coe.

Reactions: CiG
Night_Rocker.jpg

Surely everyone's number 1

That was a good album but I'm not sure it will make my list because looking through the RYM Oz pub rock seemed to be heavily on my play list that year and maybe half my list will be made up of it.

Might change a bit but the top 3 should be solid and 4-7 should mostly just rotate among themselves.

1. Scraping Foetus Off the Wheel - Nail
2. Ströer Duo + Howard Fine - Nomaden
3. Rites of Spring - Rites of Spring
4. あぶらだこ [Aburadako] - Aburadako (aka Ki-ban)
5. Starpoint - Restless
6. Menu - Re-Face
7. NoMeansNo - You Kill Me
8. a-ha - Hunting High and Low
9. David Thomas - More Places Forever
10. Skeletal Family - Futile Combat
Propaganda - A Secret Wish
Tears for Fears - Songs From the Big Chair
新東京正義乃士 [Shin Tokyo Seigi no Shi] - 不滅への挑戦 (Fumetsu e no Chousen)
Miharu Koshi - Boy Soprano
戸川純ユニット - 極東慰安唱歌
Cyber People - Void Vision
Dead Kennedys - Frankenchrist
Leven Signs - Hemp Is Here
The Fatback Band - So Delicious
Tuxedomoon - Holy Wars
Black Flag - The Process of Weeding Out

Great year. Fuck Hounds of Love.

Last edited:
1. The Pogues - Rum Sodomy & the Lash
2. Death in June - Nada!
3. Rites of Spring - Rites of Spring
4. Loreena McKennitt - Elemental
5. Articles of Faith - In This Life
6. The Sisters of Mercy - First and Last and Always
7. Descendents - I Don't Want to Grow Up
8. Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
9. Stupids - Peruvian Vacation
10. Big Boys - No Matter How Long the Line is at the Cafeteria, There's Always a Seat!

Last edited:
Reactions: Dazed and Brutal
Sorta, I know the hits and Youthquake, but that album isn't consistent enough to make it for me. Applebloom spinning to You Spin Me Round is what turned me onto My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, so there is definitely some personal value there.

My Little Shithole.

I was thrown off by the "Friendship is Magic" bit lmao I didn't know the series had a subtitle. I thought maybe it was a music album based on MLP or something.

Dear God you enjoy that show?

The first two seasons were excellent, shitlord. Got really inconsistent after that, I think I dropped it a few episodes deep into season 4.

Sisters of Mercy and Dead Can Dance are an easy 1-2 for me. But there’s actually some stuff I want to relisten to from this year, as well as some goth rock that I’ve never checked out before that I might as well check out now.

Reactions: CiG