GNMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1991

Serjeant Grumbles

Mar 20, 2005
1 9 9 1
2015Nirvana_GettyImages_86132259_020315.jpg
Obviously make sure to hit up RYM yourself and search your favourite genres.

The deadline is 16th of January 2020.

The rules:
- submit at least 5 releases.
- first place in your rankings gets 10 points, 2nd gets 9, etcetc, 10th gets 1.
- feel free to post more than 10, but only the top 10 will get points.
- feel free to post less than 10, the same scoring will apply.
- feel free not to rank your picks, in which case all ten picks will get 5.5 points.

GNMD = General Non-Metal Discussion, so NO UNAMBIGUOUSLY METAL ALBUMS are to be included in anybody's list.
200.gif

Attachments

• 2015Nirvana_GettyImages_86132259_020315.jpg
    2015Nirvana_GettyImages_86132259_020315.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Damn I was too late, it ended before the thread was even created. Fuck you man this isn't fair.

Fark it my list wont change the final outcome I'm going to add it now anyway

1. The Screaming Jets - All for One
2. Noiseworks – Love Versus Money
3. Hoodoo Gurus – Kinky
4. Queen – Innuendo
5. Guns n' Roses - Use Your Illusion II
6. Guns n' Roses - Use Your Illusion I
7. Alice Cooper - Hey Stoopid
8. Nirvana – Nevermind
9. Pearl Jam - Ten
10. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik

Damn I was too late, it ended before the thread was even created. Fuck you man this isn't fair.

Thanks for pointing that out. I meant it to be the 16th of January 2020. For all I know, this year could loop back to the beginning after December 31.

Reactions: CiG
Got some listening to do, but top five are unlikely to change. The Swans album is one of my all-time favorites. Battletoads is probably the best soundtrack of the NES era.
  1. Swans - White Light from the Mouth of Infinity
  2. David Wise - Battletoads soundtrack
  3. Ween - The Pod
  4. Coil - Love's Secret Domain
  5. Slowdive - Just for a Day
  6. Nirvana - Nevermind
  7. Pearl Jam - Ten
  8. Mr. Bungle - Mr. Bungle
  9. Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger
  10. Alice Cooper - Hey Stoopid

Last edited:
Fugazi Steady Diet Of Nothing.jpg df7eeb83a07162b45ac2e882cac055de9411054a_cover.jpg 346707.jpg a0675315585_10.jpg gish-the-smashing-pumpkins-large-square.jpg
2caae3a244493cf2c6bef0989b81cca2.1000x1000x1.jpg MI0002546396.jpg 81cBxa+2zgL._SL1200_.jpg slint-spiderland.jpg R-805955-1599335475-7463.jpeg.jpg
  1. Fugazi - Steady Diet of Nothing
  2. Nirvana - Nevermind
  3. Jello Biafra with NoMeansNo - The Sky Is Falling and I Want My Mommy
  4. Dead Moon - Stranded in the Mystery Zone
  5. Smashing Pumpkins - Gish
  6. KMD - Mr. Hood
  7. Drive Like Jehu - Drive Like Jehu
  8. Ice Cube - Death Certificate
  9. Slint - Spiderland
  10. Plaid Retina - Mind Tracing the Going Down

Last edited:
Fark it my list wont change the final outcome I'm going to add it now anyway

1. The Screaming Jets - All for One
2. Noiseworks – Love Versus Money
3. Hoodoo Gurus – Kinky
4. Queen – Innuendo
5. Guns n' Roses - Use Your Illusion II
6. Guns n' Roses - Use Your Illusion I
7. Alice Cooper - Hey Stoopid
8. Nirvana – Nevermind
9. Pearl Jam - Ten
10. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik

Nirvana already made the list twice already, at #1 and #2 for '89 and '93, respectively, and even Pearl Jam did make the aforementioned '93 list, albeit at #10, so there's hope for at least two of your picks, especially the Nirvana.

Last edited:
And they made my list for this one since I consider them not metal and released in 91

1. Slowdive - Just for a Day
2. Genesis - We Can't Dance
3. My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
4. Rush - Roll the Bones
5. R.E.M. - Out of Time
6. Cypress Hill - Cypress Hill
7. Divinyls - diVINYLS
8. Dinosaur Jr. - Green Mind
9. Nomeansno - 0+2=1
10. Cranes - Wings of Joy

Just for a Day just fucking soars. Easy number 1. Slight caveat with We Can't Dance as it hits a bit of a wall in the second half and has "Way of the World" which is easily the worst Genesis song ever regardless of era. Still, when its good it's some of the best stuff the three-piece ever wrote. "Losing My Religion" still sounds good and a lot of Out of Time is weirdly underdiscussed despite how huge that album is. The second half is amazing. Love the country flavors. Divinyls should have had more hits than "I Touch Myself". Nearly all the songs on that album should have been huge. RIP Chrissy. "Everyday I Start to Ooze" off 0+2=1 has one of the greatest lines ever, "If every fourth animal in the world is a beetle Perhaps every fourth person is a dumb fuck." Perhaps?

Reactions: Bloopy
1. The Jesus Lizard - Goat (the true GOAT in many ways, production alone is perfect)
2. Motoaki Takenouchi - Jewel Master Soundtrack (one of the busiest Genesis soundtracks you'll ever hear)
3. Masanori Oodachi - Super Castlevania IV Soundtrack (also on the border of prog-vidya music)
4. NoMeansNo - 0 + 2 = 1 (a couple songs annoy me but on the whole it's on par with all their other greatest moments)
5. Plaid Retina - Mind Tracing the Going Down (actually listened to it recently after a long while; it didn't quite grab me as it originally did but it's basically tech-hardcore that appeals to my tech-thrash tastes so naturally I still love it)
6. Pearl Jam - Ten (nostalgic hook-filled fav, also listened to it very recently coincidentally)
7. きどりっこ [Kidorikko] - 常夏姫 (Tokonatsu Hime) (spazzy 80s-sounding prog-tinged synthfunk with jazz fusion solos, my alley)
8. Dog Faced Hermans - Mental Blocks for All Ages (art-spazzcore)
9. Hiroto Saitou; Nozomu Takahashi - Metal Stoker Neo Hardboiled Shooting Soundtrack (this is actually the most listened thing in my foobar library since I began cataloging it, definitely on the quirkier side)
10. Organized Konfusion - Organized Konfusion (thanks to Satanstoenail for posting one of their songs in one of the rating threads, their albums are pretty much the only hip-hop albums I've heard that I actually enjoy in full)
Contropotere - Il Seme della Devianza (Italian post-hardcore with tasteful/reigned-in experimentation, vague Neurosis appeal and a little bit ahead of its time, had to bump it down when I realized I had forgotten SC IV's soundtrack)
Levitation - Coterie
Drive Like Jehu - Drive Like Jehu
Ozric Tentacles - Strangeitude
Fugazi - Steady Diet of Nothing

Great year, in both metal and non-metal a lot of the things going on happened to line up precisely with my general musical preferences. Two comps (Scratch Acid's and Rite of Spring's) would make it very high as well. If Badmotorfinger counts as non-metal then it'd be in the top 5 but it's as metal as anything from that year imo. I could probably flood the list with dozens of video game soundtracks, including:

Yuzo Koshiro, Miki Fukutomi - Algarna
Yuzo Koshiro - Bare Knuckle
Hidehiro Funauchi - Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge
Kenichi Hirata - Cotton: Fantastic Night Dreams
Ryu Takami - Cosmic Psycho
Hidehiro Funauchi - Operation C
Kenichi Kamio - Phalanx
Yusuke Takahama, Norio Nakagata - Scorpius
Masato Nakamura - Sonic

Reactions: CiG
1. Pearl Jam - Ten
2. Alan Menken & Howard Ashman - Beauty and the Beast