GNMD Poll: Top Ten Albums of 1979

#3 The B-52's - The B-52's
(26.5 Points)

b52.jpg
Genre(s):
New Wave

Post-Punk, Surf Rock, Zolo, Dance-Punk

only the first 2 albums
There's a riff on a Path of Possession song that reminds me of "Rock Lobster" by the B-52's.
I wasn't always into metal. I started out in the early 80's listening to radio hits in California like Thompson Twins, B-52's, General Public and shit like that. I got into Billy Idol a bit and liked his videos. One night a friend brought over some nice metal LPs and it was all over.

Those who voted:
@Bloopy #1
@HamburgerBoy #1
@dwellerINTHEdark #10
@Serjeant Grumbles N/A

Reactions: Bloopy and CiG
#1 Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
(51.5 Points)

joy-division-unknown-pleasures-lp_dd641e85-627e-4572-9022-821cec0a8841.jpg
Genre(s):
Post-Punk

Gothic Rock

Anyone else into Joy Division? They're perhaps my favorite non-metal band even with just 2 full albums. I just love the combination of Ian Curtis' melancholy Jim Morrison-like voice, the post-punk innovative yet simplistic genius of the songs, with strong bass lines--well the bass is essentially the lead guitar, the drums, and perfect use of synthesizers.
Disliking Joy Division and the Smashing Pumpkins makes you a total homo.
Joy Division. They sound like shit though.
Swans, Joy Division and Cocteau Twins. None of them are horribly unknown, especially Joy Division, but all of them should have been amazingly popular.
I would not call those three groups accessible, really -- at least, not in the way that gives a band mainstream appeal. They're all pretty otherworldly in one way or another, and bands that make it big tend to have an 'everyman' aspect to them which the average person can relate to, so I don't see how any of those three could have become huge.
Joy Division are great but admittedly a little bit overrated.
Great band. I prefer Unknown Pleasures myself but Closer is a great album as well.

Too bad the rest of the band went down in mediocrity with New Order after Curtis' suicide. I never understood how that band garnered so much recognition as it has. They've released a few good singles but none of their albums do anything for me at all (and I dislike singles).
Joy Division is pretty much the darkest music you'll ever hear. Also, check out Rome.
I don't mind a few New Order songs, but I can't get into Joy Division at all.
Your list fucking rocks man. Joy Division is my favourite there. Ian Curtis' lyrics are fucking awesome. That reminds me, I have a huge Joy Division poster in my room.
Joy Division are my favourite band, but I don't have to look like a moron to listen to it. ;)

Those who voted:
@zabu of nΩd #3
@dwellerINTHEdark #1
@Slayed Necros #3
@crimsonfloyd #1
@Somethingface #3
@Allfader #9
@Serjeant Grumbles N/A