3. Allan Holdsworth - None Too Soon
4. Manic Street Preachers - Everything Must Go
5. Courtney Pine - Modern Day Jazz Stories
6. Cake - Fashion Nugget
7. Aphex Twin - Richard D. James Album
8. Frank Black - The Cult of Ray
9. Super Furry Animals -Fuzzy Logic
10. This Is Serious Mum - Machines Against The Rage

Excellent year. Lot of evolution in electronic music. A classic PC game soundtrack. Also the debut of Arcana, one of my favorite artists (based on their later work). They took the Dead Can Dance style to a whole other level.
  1. Jamiroquai - Travelling Without Moving
  2. DJ Shadow - Endtroducing.....
  3. Cake - Fashion Nugget
  4. Ween - 12 Golden Country Greats
  5. Frank Klepacki - Command & Conquer: Red Alert
  6. Lycia - Cold
  7. Arcana - Dark Age of Reason
  8. Aphex Twin - Richard D. James Album
  9. Zakk Wylde - Book of Shadows
  10. Art of Trance - Wildlife on One

Last edited:
Top Ten
  1. Garmarna - Guds spelemän
  2. Firewater - Get off the Cross...We Need the Wood for the Fire
  3. Lycia - Cold
  4. Sixteen Horsepower - Sackcloth 'n' Ashes
  5. Camerata Mediolanense - Campo di Marte
  6. Autumn Tears - Love Poems for Dying Children... Act I
  7. The Shroud - Long Ago and Far Away
  8. Dr. Octagon - Dr. Octagonecologist
  9. Faith and the Muse - Annwyn, Beneath the Waves
  10. Elend - Les Ténèbres du Dehors

Honourable Mention
  • The 3rd and the Mortal - Painting on Glass
  • Devil Doll - Dies Irae
  • Swans - Soundtracks For The Blind
  • Ulver - Kveldssanger
  • Kingpin Skinny Pimp - King of da Playaz Ball
  • Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Murder Ballads
  • The Soil Bleeds Black - The Kingdom and Its Fey

Reactions: CiG
1 - 2Pac - All Eyez on Me
2 - Snoop Doggy Dogg - Tha Doggfather
3 - Makaveli(2Pac) - The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory
4 - Celly Cel - Killa Kali
5 - Westside Connection - Bow Down
6 - B.G. - Chopper City
7 - Soundgarden - Down on the Upside
8 - Too $hort - Getting It
9 - MC Eiht - Death Threatz
10 - Master P - Ice Cream Man

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
Okay, I guess I can slip you in at the last minute, since it was my fault anyway for lollygagging. Luckily it won't unseat any of my picks that made the cut.

#10 Swans - Soundtracks for the Blind
(16 points)

swans.jpg
Genre(s):
Experimental Rock, Post-Rock, Experimental

Drone, Dark Ambient, Field Recordings, Spoken Word, Sound Collage, Industrial

Those who voted:
@crimsonfloyd #2
@Krow #4

#10 Tori Amos - Boys for Pele
(16 points)

tori.jpg
Genre(s):
Art Pop, Singer/Songwriter

Progressive Pop, Baroque Pop, Piano Rock

Those who voted:
@crimsonfloyd #8
@Burkhard #4
@dwellerINTHEdark #5

#9 Garmarna - Guds Spelemän
(18 points)

garmarna.jpg
Genre(s):
Swedish Folk Music, Neo-Medieval Folk, Nordic Folk Rock, Medieval Rock

Awesome Swedish folk-rock fusion stuff. Folk metal fans need to check 'em out.
i just wanna fuck an unwashed, hairy armpit celtic/slavic/nordic/gaulish tribeswoman in the wilderness right now

Those who voted:
@Burkhard #3
@Serjeant Grumbles #1

#8 2pac - All Eyez on Me
(19 points)

2pac.jpg
Genre(s):
West Coast Hip Hop, Gangsta Rap

Pop Rap, G-Funk

I shot Tupac.
I like All Eyez on Me, but only really listen to the standout songs (When We Ride, 2 of Americas Most Wanted).
Tupac is the best Death Row artist. Word, nucka.
Tupac got some great songs,but I am more of a Biggie fan than Tupac.
2Pac would never be a part of this pussypop rap that is going on today, he was all real with meaningful lyrics and dark beats. But all rappers have they're more light shit that makes me sick.
2Pac was a dumb bigoted cunt, and he would probably be another tool like anyone else in that stupid fucking scene.

"Thug Angel" my ass.
tupac was a very good MC

songs like

staring through my rear view
If I die tonight
changes
Until the end of time
ambitions as a rider

etc....
indeed,

tupac and wu tang had strongly contrasting styles but were both great. Tupac was very straight forward but very powerful in his delivery and emotional content, while wu tang clan is probably some of the most complex hip hop ever

Those who voted:
@Einherjar86 #2
@TechnicalBarbarity #1

Reactions: arg
#6 The 3rd and the Mortal - Painting on Glass
(20 points)

3rdmortal.jpg
Genre(s):
Experimental Rock, Ethereal Wave

Ambient, Doom Metal, Progressive Rock, Gothic Metal

This band has changed a lot, but still kick ass

:worship: The 3rd And The Mortal
Kari Rueslåtten of 3rd and the Mortal. The band itself isn't bad but her vocals do kick quite an amount of arse.
Sound like a loser :cry:
I downloaded "Liberty bell" to see if it was good and I must admit that it was as indifferent as the rest of the stuff I've heard from "How to measure a planet" & "If then else" unfortunatly.
Why is it that every good gothic band (excluding Type O Negative) must turn into some half- or fully-electronic crap instead of just keep on playing good gothic stuff? 3rd & the mortal did it, Theatre of Tragedy (although it may not be that electronic) & Paradise Lost did it! Of course noone wants to keep on playing the exact same music over & over for 10 years, but still...
I don't think that The Gathering or The 3rd And The Mortal had anything to do with gothic. And at least the Gathering aren't THAT electronic in their last album... But anyway, I like the new style of all the bands you mentioned (except maybe TOT, not because it's electro but because they're not extremely good at it)
They produce some death metal, but not much (Extol, Blood Red Throne...).

I don't really care for most of their black metal, but I like Norway's "non-black metal" stuff: Green Carnation's first 2 albums and anything by The 3rd and the Mortal.
The 3rd And The Mortal - "Sorrow" + "Tears Laid In Earth" (IMO the most atmospheric and beautiful goth metal albums - just listen to "Grevinnens bønn" and "Silently I Surrender" on the "Sorrow"-EP or to "Why So Lonely", "Autopoéma", "Death-Hymn" or the epic "Oceana" on the "Tears Laid In Earth"-album -, though probably more goth than metal, and there are - fortunately, I´d like to add - no male growls on these releases, just Kari Rueslåtten´s beautiful voice. She left the band after "Tears Laid In Earth" to start a solo career.)

Those who voted:
@Oblivious Maximus #1
@Burkhard #1

#5 Makaveli (2pac) - The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory
(22 points)

2Pac-Makaveli-The-Don-Killuminati-The-7-Day-Theory-1996-Album-Cover.jpg
Genre(s):
West Coast Hip Hop, Gangsta Rap

Political Hip Hop, G-Funk, Conscious Hip Hop

He sang under the name Makaveli. Song is called "Me and my girlfriend" (album: The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory). He's singing about his gun. Pretty cool. Its the only Tupac song I listen to.
At least he is payin his respect to 2Pac with his MOB tattoo..he already knows that this nigga aint got shit on Makaveli!!!1111!
He sang under the name Makaveli. Song is called "Me and my girlfriend" (album: The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory). He's singing about his gun. Pretty cool. Its the only Tupac song I listen to.

Those who voted:
@crimsonfloyd #6
@CiG #2
@TechnicalBarbarity #3

#1 Sixteen Horsepower - Sackcloth 'n' Ashes
(47 points)

sackcloth-n-ashes-55c221351012f.jpg
Genre(s):
Gothic Country, Alt-Country

Americana

They are not traditional country by any means, but I want to recommend Sixteen Horsepower. One of my favorite bands of any genre, they are like a very strange mixture of Johnny Cash, Creedence Clearwater Revival, and Edgar Allan Poe's "Fall of the House of Usher."
16 Horsepower is ______.
A. Superb.
B. Lovely.
C. Awesome.
D. Talented.
E. All of the above.
Yes, brilliant stuff.
Oh yes country can be dark...
16 Horsepower are not country... at all. A better genre tag would be gothic folk.
16 Horsepower is phenomenal! Glad to see more love for them. David Eugene Edward's new band (Woven Hand) is great as well; they're a bit less "country" (they drop the banjo for the most part) and have a much more folky, tribal sound.
[...]
"Country," in my opinion, raises images and thoughts of contemporary pop shit (i.e. Kenny Chesney and Toby Keith), which is why I prefer to classify bands like 16 Horsepower as folk. But as Krow said, they are very "southern gothic."
Johnny Cash and 16 Horsepower are the only great country music I've heard. All the others I can't stand.
i quite like 16 horsepower though i find them a little obvious and campy (feel the same way about most goth-tinged stuff).

Those who voted:
@Krow #2
@HamburgerBoy #3
@dwellerINTHEdark #3
@Einherjar86 #3
@Slayed Necros #9
@Serjeant Grumbles #4
@challenge_everything #6

Last edited: