love how even the google description of that show starts with:
"This revamped incarnation of the "My Little Pony" franchise not only appeals to the little girls that the toy line is primarily marketed to, but has drawn a cult following of teenagers, self-proclaimed "geeks," and even adults"

Reactions: CiG
First and Last and Always is fucking awful. Super dry production, Eldritch hadn't learned how to sing yet, and there are no hooks. At least Floodland is well-performed for being trite low-musical-IQ music.

Anyone with the an animation-IQ high enough to appreciate classic Spongebob should find something of value in MLP: FiM.

Pretty safe to say that Waits and The Pogues are several shots above everything else on this list (for me).

1. Tom Waits - Rain Dogs

2. The Pogues - Rum, Sodomy & the Lash

3. Peter Gabriel - Birdy (this is a soundtrack, but it has all original material on it, some pre-released stuff; and I love Gabriel way too much to not put him up here, even if this is one of his less interesting albums--some of his other soundtrack work is just fucking stellar)

4. Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

5. Kate Bush - Hounds of Love

6. Loreena McKennitt - Elemental

7. R.E.M. - Fables of Reconstruction

Reactions: CiG
My seven-year-old nephew likes My Little Pony so I've seen the first few seasons. Aside from the terrible and creepy brony fanbase on the internet, there's nothing offensive about the show that I've seen.

It's okay for seven year olds, cause seven year olds generally don't have very high standards for TV, but fullgrown adults watching it and claiming it's "excellent" television? Just admit you're watching a mediocre children's show. I would judge someone significantly less that way.

At least Spongebob Squarepants has the nostalgia factor, since it was a thing when I (and I'm assuming HBB) was a kid.

Last edited:
1. Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
2. Christian Death - Ashes
3. Cocteau Twins - Tiny Dynamine
4. Scraping Foetus Off the Wheel - Nail
5. Rites of Spring - Rites of Spring
6. The Fall - This Nation's Saving Grace
7. The Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy
8. The Chameleons - What Does Anything Mean? Basically
9. Einstürzende Neubauten - ½ Mensch
10. Tom Waits - Rain Dogs

I'm not really sure why First and Last and Always is so hyped by some people. There were significantly better gothic rock albums earlier and the band's pre-album material is stronger than that album. The Christian Death album from 1985 is also just a much cooler album.

2. The Pogues - Rum, Sodomy & the Lash

Holy shit, can't believe I forgot this album. Cheers man, it's going straight to the number one spot.

I'm not really sure why First and Last and Always is so hyped by some people. There were significantly better gothic rock albums earlier and the band's pre-album material is stronger than that album. The Christian Death album from 1985 is also just a much cooler album.

I think Psychocandy is way more over-hyped and much less interesting. Bog standard hipster fodder imo.

Reactions: Einherjar86
I thought Psychocandy was more of an indie darling than a goth thing though.

It's okay for seven year olds, cause seven year olds generally don't have very high standards for TV, but fullgrown adults watching it and claiming it's "excellent" television? Just admit you're watching a mediocre children's show. I would judge someone significantly less that way.

At least Spongebob Squarepants has the nostalgia factor, since it was a thing when I (and I'm assuming HBB) was a kid.

If you don't think Spongebob has a quality of humor that can appeal to all ages, that's your loss.

I think Psychocandy is way more over-hyped and much less interesting. Bog standard hipster fodder imo.

I'm going to have to disagree with you here. While I'd never argue that elements of the classic J.A.M.C. sound aren't a major force among hipstery indie bands of more recent years, that certainly wasn't the case in 1985.

The album has received so many accolades and significant positions in magazine lists of 100 best albums ever, or best 50 albums from 1985, or 101 albums you must hear before you die etc and I just don't think it's that good. It's definitely not bad by any means, but I think it was made redundant by Darklands and surpassed by many classic shoegaze albums that they inspired.

It's one of the few albums I really loved in my early days but despite consistently owning it and listening to it, hasn't remained in the same high regard it started with for me.

By comparison I actually don't think First and Last and Always is hyped (granted you did add the caveat "by some people").

Thanks, [banned word]. ;)

I take it that since your criticism shifted from it being "bog standard hipster fodder" to it being redunant and more popular than it should be means that you're conceding that it was unique in 1985 even though it's been imitated a lot since then.

Personally, I find Darklands to be a very different type of album with a noticeable change in style. I wouldn't say that it renders Psychocandy is redundant because both albums do different things. I think that both of them are important and worth listening to.

Outside of First and Last and Always not really doing anything that you won't hear done better on earlier goth rock/post-punk albums, I also find Andrew Eldritch's attempts to act like he was unfamiliar with goth music pretty funny. Everything about the band's music and image makes it clear that they were aware of their contemporaries.

For me, the album is overhyped in comparison to the significantly more unique Christian Death album that I already mentioned, as well as many other albums in the gothic rock genre that came out in 1985 or earlier.

I take it that since your criticism shifted from it being "bog standard hipster fodder" to it being redunant and more popular than it should be means that you're conceding that it was unique in 1985 even though it's been imitated a lot since then.

I don't really have a problem with how popular it is, just with how much over the top praise it gets. Something can be popular without being considered a masterpiece of some kind by every critic and magazine on earth. "Bog standard hipster fodder" was a stupid remark in hindsight, what I meant was it's the go-to album for every hipster Mojo magazine drone, I didn't mean to suggest it wasn't original upon release, though I think even its originality is somewhat overblown.

Personally, I find Darklands to be a very different type of album with a noticeable change in style. I wouldn't say that it renders Psychocandy is redundant because both albums do different things. I think that both of them are important and worth listening to.

Well I think it rendered it redundant because it was much more interesting and original imo, whereas Psychocandy is really just a lazy combination of the abrasive sounds of The Velvet Underground with some pop music.

I also find Andrew Eldritch's attempts to act like he was unfamiliar with goth music pretty funny.

I'm definitely not defending that douche. Just another retard with Quorthon-syndrome.

Outside of First and Last and Always not really doing anything that you won't hear done better on earlier goth rock/post-punk albums

Well that's true but, while I like the album a lot with its driving dry cynicism, I can't exactly replace it with prior or succeeding superior goth rock albums lol. FYI I haven't heard that Christian Death album, but I will now!

Okay, fuck CASSETTEISGOD for making this because this year is amazing with both metal and non non-metal alike, making this absolutely difficult for me.

But I think I got it:

1.) Killing Joke - Night Time
2.) The Cure - Head in the Door
3.) Sonic Youth - Bad Moon Rising
4.) Rights of Spring - Rights of Spring
5.) Laibach - Laibach
6.) Skinny Puppy - Bites
7.) The Damned - Phantasmagoria
8.) Shub-Niggurath - Shub-Niggurath
9.) [Foetus] - Nail *
10.) Alien Sex Fiend - Maximum Security

* Edited because RYM fuckups