My list of recommended releases for 2006 Part 1

johnfrank1970

Jan 10, 2002
Madison, WI
welcome.to
Recommended Releases in 2006
Absolutely Stellar Discs– Included on My List of All Time Faves
1. Psycroptic - Symbols of Failure
Brilliant, frenetic, brutal, non-stop craziness. I think Symbols of Failure easily wins the title of Most Riffs on a 2006 Release. The band’s ability to write such kinetic, intricate material is impressive on its own, but they reach an even higher plane by making those twisted riffs damn catchy too. The drumming, the weak point for many bands in this genre, is interesting and engaging as well. After issuing all these superlatives, I have to admit that I prefer Psycroptic’s previous effort, The Scepter of the Ancients, to its followup due to Scepter’s slightly more infectious, substantial riffage (there’s more noodling and less chunk on Symbols), guitar solos (there are no leads to speak of on Symbols), and its varied vocal performance (yes, death vocals can come in more than one flavor). Far from being disappointed, I am quite amazed the band created two consecutive discs of such high quality. Psycroptic truly is one of the very best complex death bands in the business.
2. Misery Inc. - Random End
This CD came out of nowhere (alright, Finland) to completely kick my ass. I have been consistently spinning this disc since I received it, my appreciation growing over time to the point that it clearly earned the #2 position on my list. The music is relatively straightforward catchy thrashy death. The vocals are a clean/dirty mix. In general, Misery Inc. bears some resemblance to Into Eternity if they were stripped of all progginess. The melodic vocals on Random End are fucking stellar. Virtually every chorus is supremely memorable. The clean vocal lines within the bodies of the songs are very engaging as well. Though there is less interplay between clean and gruff vocals than in Into Eternity, the contrast is still very effective and provides many headbanging moments. Note that their previous disc, Yesterday's Grave, did nothing for me. You really need to judge them based on the incredible songwriting of Random End.
Excellent Discs
3. Spawn of Possession – Noctambulant
On their latest release, Spawn of Possession decided to expand on their sound to a greater degree than have Psycroptic and Necrophagist, their peers atop the complex brutal death heap of pernicious putrefaction. Many of the entries on Noctambulant are not frenzied blasts designed to obliterate you with their mighty tech momentum. The material is varied in pace and mood and is more dynamic and textured than usual for a band of such intensity. As with Psycroptic, there is less focus on a full-out thick riffage assault (less frenetic bludgeoning, more varietals of widdly), and, because of that, I prefer their previous disc, Cabinet. I am not complaining about Noctambulant though. Lest I give you the wrong idea, let me assure you Spawn of Possession did not turn into Gordian Knot. The growling vocals and aggression are still very prominent. It’s just that the band now occasionally becomes more introspective during all the corpse flaying and soul evisceration.
4. Unexpect - In a Flesh Aquarium
In a Flesh Aquarium is an invigorating, diverse, and inspired release. As an example of this album’s brilliance, I submit "Megalomaniac Trees", perhaps my favorite song on the CD. In this one track, I am reminded of Thought Industry (MODs Carve the Pig), Arcturus (The Sham Mirrors - don't care for this band, but I do hear some of their carnival style), and Moonlyght (themselves an amalgam of melodic death, epic power metal, and folk influences). Overall, growlies are prominent, but there are plenty of very good clean female vocals, some clean male singing, and some bombastic power metal type choruses. The varied instrumentation is top notch and very interesting. The guitarwork is excellent, with some intricate sections, but Unexpect is much more about crazy arrangements fusing many different musical styles than they are about being technical. Keyboards and violin are used to great effect, and the rhythm section is also impressive. The clearly audible bass is particularly welcome given the instrument usually flies under the radar on most metal releases. The only downside of this album is the inclusion of two ambient pieces that do nothing for me. All fans of progressive, avant-garde metal should give Unexpect the chance to impress them.
5. Pharaoh - The Longest Night
The Longest Night is a significant progression from Pharaoh’s enjoyable debut platter, After the Fire. The music is more diverse in tempo, construction, and mood. It's still obviously power metal predominantly in the American style, with some traditional metal trappings. Despite sharing some of the same apparent influences (Iron Maiden, Manowar, guitar hero 80’s power metal bands) as bands like Wolf and Icarus Witch, however, Pharaoh is not a purveyor of retro metal. Songs on The Longest Night may recall the classics, but they are not defined by them. Pharaoh’s accomplished craftsmanship, whether channeled in a rousing epic like “By the Night Sky” or the ass kicking crunch stomp of “I Am the Hammer” clearly places the band in the upper echelon of this corner of the metal world. The melodic, yet aggressive vocals of Tim Aymar add much appeal to The Longest Night, but the guitarwork of Matt Johnsen is the clear highlight of this opus. At various points on this release, I am reminded of the killer harmonies of Leatherwolf, the sanguine crunch of Chastain circa The 7th of Never, the deadly combo of virtuosity and catchiness heard on Onward’s debut, and the epic grandeur of Maiden in their prime. The Longest Night is truly inspiring metal.
6. Into Eternity - The Scattering of Ashes
Initially, I was not too impressed with this latest offering from one of my favorite active bands. Their previous release, the sublime Buried in Oblivion, is in my top 20 of all time, and Dead or Dreaming also places on that list. I thought the constant touring and revolving door band membership had finally taken their toll on Into Eternity. The songwriting on The Scattering of Ashes seemed to be less polished and not feature the attention to detail that marked their exceptional body of work. The bass drum sound, for example, sounds synthetic to the point of distraction at times. Despite all these misgivings, I found myself playing the disc consistently over an extended period of time. I stopped making comparisons to their older material, and I just enjoyed the impressive musicianship and killer hooks. Into Eternity have a singular style and are playing at a level few can match. I appreciate their perseverance and their continued ability to craft engaging and unique music.
7. Prototype – Continuum
This is another release that was initially hurt by high expectations and a feeling that the material was decent, but not sufficiently better or different from that which preceded it. As with Into Eternity, I came to appreciate this latest offering as a welcome collection of songs performed in an uncommon style (melodic thrash with some prog tendencies) that is rarely executed as well as this. My relative enthusiasm went even further with Continuum, as it earned the top rank in Prototype’s discography. Despite several of the songs being pulled from the band’s early releases, the offerings on Continuum are more consistent in quality and diverse in style than those on the great, but somewhat uneven, Trinity. The new drummer debuting on Continuum thankfully was up to the challenge and puts on an impressive display. The many cool fills and off-kilter beats accompanying the superb thrashy riffage add another level of enjoyment to this classy release.
8. Soulscar – Endgame
Caution: Immense Riffs Ahead. Soulscar is a thrashy death band with some similarities to Arch Enemy. They occasionally even utilize female vocals, although Soulscar’s are of the clean variety. Growling male vocals dominate the soundscape, the band wisely deciding not to include the somewhat dodgy clean male singing style employed in some passages on their enjoyable sophomore effort, Victim Impact Statement. Keyboards are judiciously included from time to time, but the heart of Endgame’s appeal is the awesome, crunchy riffage that infuses the entire CD with energy. Even the three instrumentals are appealing. This band should be much better known within the metal underground than they currently are. Check them out and see how they measure up to the giants of the genre.
9. Shades of Dusk - Caress the Despair
This is a killer, invigorating melodeath disc. Shades of Dusk hails from Canada, so it is not surprising that they remind me of Winter Bestowed and, to a lesser extent, Descend into Nothingness, two sadly defunct bands from the amazing Quebec metal scene. For a more mainstream reference, older Dark Tranquillity is an apt comparison. Awesome melodic riffage abounds, yet there's more going on here than what most students of the Gothenburg school bring to the table. Some nice twisted guitar passages are on display along with an impressive drumming performance. The only downside for me is a few of the tracks sound somewhat similar to each other. Like Soulscar-Endgame, this is another Galy Records release that really deserves more recognition. Melodic death does not get much better than this.
10. Martyr - Feeding the Abscess
Martyr’s previous release, Warp Zone, came out six years ago and is considered a tech death classic by most fans of the genre. It is in my top 25 of all time. Needless to say, expectations were astronomically high regarding Feeding the Abscess. Perhaps two years ago, the band was circulating a two song demo to various labels. The first song, “Perpetual Healing of Infinite Pain”, was mindblowingly complex and absolutely stellar. The second song, “Wreck”, was considerably more simplistic and repetitious than any of the material on Warp Zone. This demo turned out to be a good representation of what Martyr would give us on Feeding the Abscess. Approximately half of the tracks are absurdly impressive and enjoyable. The other songs are based on far fewer riffs and time changes and are much more straightforward. I’ve been told by musicians that these songs are just as involved, but at a more subtle level. The subtlety is sadly lost on me. Even on the more complex tracks, the drumming is not as crazy as it was on Warp Zone. There’s a lot more double bass churning away and a lot fewer fills and off-kilter passages. The riffage is thrashy at times, which is another new development in Martyr’s sound. As with many of this year’s releases that are not the band’s best work, I got over my disappointment and enjoyed Feeding the Abscess for what it is. This band is incredibly talented, and, despite the album’s shortcomings, it still is more enjoyable than most of the music I hear.
11. All That Remains - The Fall of Ideals
All That Remains impressed the hell out of me in 2004 with This Darkened Heart, one of the best metalcore releases ever. The band took the melodic thrashy metalcore blueprint designed by Killswitch Engage on Alive or Just Breathing and spewed forth even more infectious riffs and cathartic aggression. Melodic vocals, however, were used sparingly on This Darkened Heart, and they could have been presented in a more effective manner. That shortcoming has had its ass kicked into oblivion on The Fall of Ideals. Catchy melodic choruses abound, yet this disc retains its intense emotional appeal. The song structures are nothing revolutionary, but they are executed extremely well. The slight decrease in monster riffs on TFoI makes me give the edge to TDH, but the discs are close in quality. Added touches such as a proggy segment here and a little blasting there, along with some brutal death vocals on one track, mix things up nicely and further emphasize All That Remains’ status as the frontrunner in this style of core.
12. Gorod - Leading Vision
I have a difficult time describing Gorod’s music, which is probably a good thing. Leading Vision falls in the complex death camp, but obvious comparisons to the giants of the genre (Death, Atheist, Cynic, Necrophagist) whose influence shines through in most of Gorod’s peers’ work do not come to mind. The clear highlight of this release is the impressive guitarwork. The majority of the playing is not very thick and hefty. Instead, fluid, swirling riffs abound, conveying some melody and a great deal of catchiness. The drumming is not nearly as interesting, but it’s solid. I like the band’s debut, Neurotripsicks (I bought it when they were still known as Gorgasm), but Leading Vision is a significant improvement on every level.
Very Good Discs
13. Sleep Terror - Probing Tranquility
This 30-minute disc is essentially a compilation of all the demos Sleep Terror posted on-line over the past few years. I was not as into the on-line demo songs as other tech-heads were, but this disc is really hitting the spot for me. It's a crazier, jazzier, more diverse and free-form instrumental version of Necrophagist for the most part. The use of a drum machine might turn off some, but it's acceptable to me. The band added a death vocalist after the release of Probing Tranquillity and posted one song featuring him. Most people I know were not overly impressed with his nondescript growling, and it looks like band guru Luke Jaeger (as with Necrophagist’s debut, Onset of Putrefaction, this CD is a one man show) might not have been too thrilled either, as there was no mention of the vocalist on their webpage the last time I checked.
14. The Human Abstract – Nocturne
I have heard several people refer to The Human Abstract is “Protest the Hero Lite”. That was how I thought of them initially as well. As I have become more familiar with Nocturne, I have changed my tune to some extent. There definitely are a few of the more quirky, complex tracks that smack of Protest the Hero’s brilliance. However, they are never as involved as the material on Kezia, and most of The Human Abstract’s songs are essentially just quality metalcore with lots of excellent guitar leads. The vocals also set THA apart from the core masses. Though they employ the typical harsh/clean mix, they are not the standard grating screaming and melodic sweetness. This does not stop them from filling the disc with many memorable choruses. Overall, a very promising band that is worth checking out if you like unique metalcore such as Protest the Hero, Reflux, and Byzantine.
15. Dim Mak - Knives of Ice
The first three tracks on this brutal and intense death metal release pummel me into submission every time. The drumming is almost nonstop blasting, and the vicious riffage never lets up. Underneath all the carnage, however, lies some more subtle guitar technique, impressive drum fills, and, yes, some engaging hooks. The rest of the disc unfortunately does not live up to the promise of this opening trio. Dim Mak’s predilection for repetition, which is what killed Intercepting Fist, their previous disc, for me, damages some of the tracks beyond redemption. The tracks that sufficiently mix it up enough for my tastes still are not as musically involved or as catchy as that which opened Knives of Ice. Overall, I enjoy about two-thirds of this disc. Unlike most extremely brutal bands such as Origin and their ilk, Dim Mak is able to craft interesting songs with some dynamics and interesting passages. That ability is rare, and I appreciate it.
16. Twisted into Form - Then Comes Affliction to Awaken the Dreamer
Spiral Architect meets Manitou? As everyone knows, members of Twisted into Form were once involved with Spiral Architect, and there are many intricate passages on this cumbersomely titled release that are reminiscent of the supposedly still active tech metal royalty. Just as much of the running time, however, is dedicated to less complex, more atmospheric prog akin to Manitou – Entrance or Fates Warning – Perfect Symmetry. When TiF brings the tech, it is not as stellar as Spiral Architect, but it is damn enjoyable. When they chill out and meander for a spell, my interest level decreases dramatically. The vocals are somewhat unique, which is a plus, but they are dodgy at times and are never very catchy. This is yet another disc on my list that grew on me once I got over my initial disappointment and gave the band props for creating music like few other groups can.
17. The Faceless – Akeldama
Akeldama is a somewhat unique CD that mixes complex, traditional, and melodic death in an engaging way. They even venture into prog metal territory on their worthwhile instrumental track. At their most complex, The Faceless occasionally recalls Necrophagist, but most of their music is less involved than the German masters’ tunes. The Faceless is more diverse and accessible than bands like Necrophagist or Psycroptic, which should be to their advantage. As usual, the guitar playing is the highlight, but the drumming performance is quite solid. Energetic keyboards are a nice touch on many of the songs. I’d like this disc to be longer than its 33 minute running length, but it’s a fun listen nonetheless.
18. Arsis - United in Regret
Yet another 2006 release that is a followup to an amazing disc. A Celebration of Guilt, the debut full length of Arsis, is my favorite melodic death release ever, and it resides in my top 20 of all time. The EP, A Diamond for Disease, came next, and it also ruled. United in Regret unfortunately does not live up to the promise of these previous releases. The tunes are thrashier, less melodic, and not nearly as catchy as the band’s early work. That said, this band is too talented to not provide significant value to the listener. I won’t listen to this nearly as much as their first two CDs, but I will still enjoy it from time to time.
19. Stolen Babies - There Be Squabbles Ahead
I love this band’s infectious and gleeful mix of influences. I hear Ram-Zet, Unexpect, Nine Inch Nails, 80's synth pop, punky modern rock, and others I am sure I'm missing. The music is pretty straightforward, but the little off-kilter embellishments (mostly with a carnival or industrial vibe) they throw in spice things up a bit. The music is mostly rock, not metal, but it's got enough heft to appeal to me. The female vocals are very appealing as well, either when she’s singing cleanly or letting out a scream. This certainly is an atypical style of music for me, but I enjoy this disc a lot.
20. Violator - Chemical Assault
Finally something good has come from the rather pedestrian Brazilian classic thrash scene. This disc takes you back to the late 80’s/early 90’s when thrash was king in the underground. The crunchy, galloping riffage reminds me mostly of Assassin – Interstellar Experience, but I enjoy Chemical Assault more than that blast from the past. I can’t imagine this release appealing to anyone under the age of 30, but it is a lot of fun for an old geezer like me.
21. Edenshade - The Lesson Betrayed
The prog death of their debut, Ceramic Placebo for a Faint Heart (yeah, I don’t get the title either), has yielded to a predominantly prog metal sound on their sophomore effort from this interesting Italian band. They occasionally still utilize growlies, but most of the vocals are clean. The singing is not the strong point of this release though. It’s acceptable to my ears, but I expect those who focus more on vocals might find them rather lackluster. The heavy, somewhat complex music, however, works quite well. None of the CDs I like in this general style (Zero Hour – Towers of Avarice, Power of Omens – Rooms of Anguish, All That I Bleed – Dying to Remember, etc.) seem to be a good reference point for Edenshade. Although I don’t care for the band, Pain of Salvation does seem to be an appropriate benchmark for some of the more emotional parts of this release.
22. The Autumn Offering - Embrace the Gutter
The last two good discs from Shadows Fall, not the worthless contractual obligation released this year, are good references for Embrace the Gutter, although the hooks are mostly in the riffs, not in big choruses. There are no clean vocals on this disc. The music is often quite thrashy such that it occasionally reminds me of Dew-Scented. The often rather basic but bone-crushingly heavy riffage recalls early Fear Factory at times as well.
23. In Flames - Come Clarity
This might be the surprise of the year for me. Prior to this release, I have to go back to 1997 to find the most recent In Flames disc I like. Come Clarity has little in common with Whoracle except the band’s ability to craft compelling melodies, but I enjoy it for what it is. This is still the radio friendly In Flames I used to not care about at all, but the songs are so much more engaging on their latest effort. Almost all the songs are quite catchy, and the music is heavy and compelling enough. I even like his clean vocals, whiny though they are. The occasional female vocals are a nice touch. And I bought it at Best Buy. I almost felt like a normal person.
24. Trivium - The Crusade
On this release, Trivium has shed almost all of the melodic metalcore Killswitch Engage framework and has transformed into a metal band that combines the modern with the classic. The first three tracks are my favorite on the disc as they are thrashy and display infectious modern melodic choruses. The non-melodic vocals are reminiscent of Hetfield’s before he decided singing off-key and yodeling was edgy. Most of the other songs lose that thrash edge and draw more from classic power and traditional metal. The disc closes with an epic instrumental that actually retains my interest. The lyrics on the other twelve songs are often amusingly juvenile (e.g. “Break every bone in your face if you mess with my life”) and I always fast forward over the abysmal “whoa whoa yeah yeah” part on the fourth track. You can tell what demographic the band is targeting. I wonder if I am their oldest fan.
25. Hammers of Misfortune - The Locust Years
The Locust Years is not as eclectic as its predecessor, The August Engine (no nod to Simon and Garfunkel on this new one), but it still has a somewhat quirky and unique vibe even though the music is pretty much traditional metal. I enjoy both the male and female vocals, and the songs have some great hooks. The only downside is I tune out during the last two tracks, an instrumental and the closing mellow song. Most people into this disc think it is one of the best of year. I think I am one of the few who likes it but does not gush over it.
Good Discs
26. Anata - The Conductor's Departure
I’ve never considered Anata to be complex death metal, but most everyone else categorizes them as such. Their song structures are certainly more involved than most death metal bands’ material, but that just means Anata is actually interesting. The Conductor’s Departure is a big step up for them in terms of crafting memorable riffs. I have their two albums prior to this one, but this is the Anata release I will reach for nine times out of ten.
27. Astral Doors – Astralism
These guys just keep cranking out quality releases, year after year. Their prolific nature has allowed me to get a new fix of their infectious Rainbow/Dio inspired metal on a regular basis these past few years, which is quite a boon for me considering Dio was my favorite band back in the day. There seems to be a downside to the band’s ability to crank out album after album though – I have liked each subsequent release less than its predecessor. It might be worthwhile for the band to slow down a bit and take the time to craft songs as good as “Hungry People” or the title track of their killer debut. Whatever the release date, I look forward to hearing what they come up with next.
28. Persefone – Core
This disc consists of three prog death epics over 20 minutes in length each and a rather pointless cover of a Megadeth tune. Each track incorporates many styles of metal and keeps the listener interested throughout. Well, except for the narrated segment, which is rather painful, though not as quite as bad as the dialogue on that After Forever disc. Some appropriate reference points for Persefone are Disillusion's previous disc (you know, the good one) along with Opeth and the interesting prog metal band of your choice. As you can imagine given the length of these songs, I don’t have a strong grasp of all the material on Core, but I know I like it.
29. Epicurean - A Consequence of Design
First off, Epicurean is from the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, which is where I grew up, so they are already have a leg up with me. Secondly, they play a catchy brand of modern death with a large helping of keyboards and melody as well as some thrashiness. They are not as happy and chunky as Children of Bodom and their minions. Epicurean is darker like, say, Garden of Shadows or Insomnium. The vocals straddle the line between death and core, with the occasional clean, melodic vocal segment that is passable but is not their strong point. A Consequence of Design is nothing innovative, but it's a strong release in a genre I like. If you like the style, you should check them out.
30. Neglected Fields – Splenetic
This is the third CD from the Latvian prog death band Neglected Fields, and it continues their winning streak. Splenetic takes the proggier sound of its predecessor, Mephisto Letonnica, and substitutes a decent helping of thrashiness. The occasional instrumental flourishes are still present though, which separates the band from any number of modern thrashy death bands. The vocals are more in your face on this disc. They still are of the somewhat grating black metal with some death variety, but they are not softened by processing like they were on Mephisto Letonnica. If you need your music to be complex, I don't know if this would fit the bill, but I find it interesting enough. If you need your thrashy death to exhibit no frills, I'm not sure this would float your boat. For those that like the combination I've described above though, Splenetic should be right up your alley.
31. Scenery – Continuity
On Continuity, this band from the Czech Republic has transitioned from prog death to good, old prog metal. Well, heavy, complex prog metal, not the standard Dream Theater cloneage. Their music, not their vocals, could be approximated as a mix of Control Denied and Heaven’s Cry circa Primal Power Addiction. Unfortunately, the vocals would scare off most prog metal fans, as they are rather rough and are not melodic at all. I can deal with them because of the tasty music on display, but those who cherish perfect tone and pitch better give this disc a pass.
32. Trepalium - Alchemik Clockwork of Disorder
I did not get into this French death metal band’s previous releases, but they really stepped things up on this release. Most of the tracks are midpaced with some quirky bits, but they never let loose and go crazy tech. This disc actually sounds somewhat like Anata’s latest, albeit at a slightly slower pace.
33. Canvas Solaris - Penumbra Diffuse
I have been a fan of Canvas Solaris since their demo days as a death metal band. I have always liked their instrumental music when they bring the tech and the metal. However, starting with Sublimation, I did not care much for the ambient, trippy synth segments nor the world music bits. I listened to PD when it came out, and although I liked the tech metal segments, I felt they were few and far between, so I put the disc aside. Thanks to me liking crap like Angra and Divinefire this year, I thought I owed Hunter and crew another spin. It paid off. I listened to PD a few times, and I realized two things. 1) There's a lot more tech metal on the disc than I recall, and it all kicks ass. 2) I even like some of the mellow material such as decent chunks of track 2. Now I need to listen to Sublimation again. Hopefully, I will return a similar verdict. I know I am really looking forward to their forthcoming disc, Cortical Tectonics. Bring the tech!
34. Divinefire - Into a New Dimension
Yes, this is Eurocheese, and it’s on my list. But wait, there’s more! This bubbling fondue is clogging arteries in the name of the Lord Almighty! Christ, Our Savior, is working through these dairy merchants to preach the Word, and I am a faithful believer. God’s a pretty smart guy. He not only inspired Divinefire to include some growlies here and there; he even made them crib Dio’s classic anthem “We Rock” for the chorus on “Passion & Fire”. The only other thing they could have done to lure minions of Satan such as myself is to have some naked demon chicks on the cover. If I went to confession, I would have to admit that Divinefire can definitely write some gosh darn catchy tunes, and they make very good use of keyboards and thrashy guitars. Nice soaring vocals too. All the better to praise His name.
35. Mastodon - Blood Mountain
I am not sure how to describe Mastodon’s style on their latest offering. I know I like Remission a lot, and I don't care much for Leviathan at all. Maybe it's because I don't recall much of Leviathan, but they sound like a different band to me on Blood Mountain. I have given up on hearing crazy, frantic drumming from Dailor, so that was not a problem. I was surprised, however, by the cleaner, yet bizarre, vocals and the unique guitarwork. The best I can do is just sit back and be pleasantly surprised by this slab of prog thrash traditional protometal southern rock stoner sludge.