I'm sick and tired of being told I am "narrow minded" because I like metal

tedvanfrehley said:
YES IT DOES!!! I love that song, "Dead Flowers".
I also picked up Steel Wheels, VooDoo Lounge...
I had Steel Wheels on cassette back when it came out.
I love that record. Anyway, Stripped is the shit.
I'm thinking about getting their single disc compilation that
they put out to sample stuff from their cataloge....

40 Licks ain't bad, either....if you want a two disc...I would burn it for you but I pawned it off a few months ago...things have been tighter than Kirsty Allie in spandex around here!!! I'm getting my real estate career going and my wife is having to work less hours so I've been selling a TON of stuff locally and on ebay to stay afloat. SUCKS!!! I've probably sold about 100 cd's in the last couple months. One day I'll be Donald Trump, though (or Gene Simmons) and I'll get 'em back! BUT ANYWAY...the Stones...great stuff. You gotta get 40 Licks if you see it used...all the classics....but my favorite Stones abum by FAR is Beggars' Banquet. Just my opinion.

People, aren't you aware that someone listening solely to metal couldn't be narrow-minded by any means?! Look at the variety of the genres, ranging from heavy metal with some hard rock moments to the most brutal death metal and the ugliest black metal...
I'd hardly call a guy/girl who digs metal in general narrow-minded... ;)

I don't think I could call myself narrowminded. Granted most of the music i listen to fits within the bracket Hard Rock/Heavy Metal but that's still a fairly large field to play with. I like quite a lot of AOR, some hair metal, an awful lot of Trad/Power Metal and some Death/Thrash/ Black.
Outside of this area I like some prog (Camel, Marillion) and things like ELO, Saga, Styx, Kansas. I can also listen to pretty much any genre and find stuff I am OK with (except for free-jazz and whatever the hell Destiny's Child are)
So I get a little irate when people assume I only listen to metal because I don't know any better. I chose to listen to metal because I liked the music and the culture was something I felt suited me.
As an aside, how come broadening the musical taste only seems to go one way? People who wil insist on playing you Coldplay or whatever usually seem to be a tad reluctant to reciprocate by listening to Dragonforce or Arch Enemy. Snobbery, pure and simple.

tedvanfrehley said:
I will make a confession : I bought Christina Aguilera's cd, STRIPPED when it came out. Why? Well, for one the cover rocks my world! And two, I really do think she can sing. But I mainly bought it for the cover. hahahaha BUT anyways, what's wrong with a guy listening to top 40 and then throwing on some MINOR THREAT or BACKYARD BABIES the same day?????
Well, there's certainly nothing wrong with a bit of Avril Lavigne, I know that much :saint:

Good thread. I always remember back when Soungarden's "Badmotorfinger" was big, myself and two other friends went out for a ride and I had the cassete in the stereo. Myself and my other friend Mark had pretty similar taste in music, and we had another guy with us Brian, who was from California and a bit of the surfer type.

After we had gotten through about 3-4 songs, Brian just said that he thought it was interesting that I had that album. I asked why, and he replied that he just didn't picture me listening to that type of music. And this was Soundgarden in their heyday! We all liked Metal but maybe he thought he was more open-minded than us. I always found that comment puzzling to me. I just liked what I heard, it rocked hard and I bought it. Simple enough. But I guess not everyone works like that. Some people are always looking for something that fits into a category, and when they do that they overlook a lot of really good stuff.

I don't have the largest musical collection around, but I often say that if you can't find something you like in what I have, chances are you probably don't like music period.

MURAI said:
I am sure most of have been told we are narrow-minded when known we like heavy metal. They always tell us to "open up" and like different kinds of music and their idea of good music is Eminem. We are probably labelled as being narrow minded because most metallers take the music seriously since heavy metal is serious in its nature.

I dont think there's anything wrong with sticking with a type of music and being stubborn about it. I think that's better than being the typical music fan who likes everything but only takes it all in the most shallow way possible. Oh, it has a cool beat so I can bob my head with it and the alike. Or all they can see is just image when it comes to music.

I like some other types of music other than metal. Next to metal I listen to a lot of punk and some classical music.

Why do you care what others think about you or metal in general? .... when you care what others think especially people who aren't important to you then you are letting them get to you and control you... next time they say such a thing just laugh it off and say to them : Whatever fuckhead LoL .. :loco:

Walter_Langkowski said:
Good thread. I always remember back when Soungarden's "Badmotorfinger" was big, myself and two other friends went out for a ride and I had the cassete in the stereo. Myself and my other friend Mark had pretty similar taste in music, and we had another guy with us Brian, who was from California and a bit of the surfer type.

After we had gotten through about 3-4 songs, Brian just said that he thought it was interesting that I had that album. I asked why, and he replied that he just didn't picture me listening to that type of music. And this was Soundgarden in their heyday! We all liked Metal but maybe he thought he was more open-minded than us. I always found that comment puzzling to me. I just liked what I heard, it rocked hard and I bought it. Simple enough. But I guess not everyone works like that. Some people are always looking for something that fits into a category, and when they do that they overlook a lot of really good stuff.

I don't have the largest musical collection around, but I often say that if you can't find something you like in what I have, chances are you probably don't like music period.

I dont know.. maybe its just me but i just never considered Soundgarden to be a metal band.. sure some metal influence but not a metal band overall... :confused:

KMADD said:
Yeah I feel both of you's! In those statements. When I do the Metalunderground.com site under Madk. I get a lot of jeers for bagging on
emo bands and Nu-Metal bullshit. They're like quit being a hater and open
your mind a bit. And I'm like fuck off and I always ask them what is the name
of that particular site! :devil:

Why is everyone "feeling" each other? LoL ... better not feel my ass unless your a chick damnit lol jkk ... anyways I think metalheads are the most open minded when it comes to music in general... at first when you become a metalhead thats all you want to listen to and fuck all other music.. but as you get older you try out other music as well and appreciate them... thats what happened with me... how it happened with me is i worked in record stores (non metal.. just all music types) and we had to play all types of CD's of different music genre's.. so i got exposed to alot of music and grew to like other music.. also alot of bands incorporate alot of different music into their metal songs and especially the guitar solos... everything from blues to jazz to classical and everything in between... Metal musicians are the most versatile on their instruments i think in that they can play a variety of different musical styles proficiently (i think Randy Rhoads started the trend more then anything out of all the metal guitarists)... so if they say to you that metal and metalheads are not openminded .. tell em fuck off then give them a CD sampler of metal songs with different music genre's incorporated into the songs... you might change their mind and have a new Defender of the Metal Faith.... :wave:

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
I dont know.. maybe its just me but i just never considered Soundgarden to be a metal band.. sure some metal influence but not a metal band overall... :confused:

I agree with what you said about Soundgarden- 'metal influences but not a metal band...'

But my point was that I never first looked to see if it was Metal or not in allowing myself to listen to something: I just went and did it. My friend Brian wanted to stereotype me and it didn't work because of the variety of stuff I listened to.

And for the record on Soundgarden, they went totally into the shitter on their next album, "Superunknown". :puke: Just junk.

Cheers! :headbang:

Walter_Langkowski said:
I agree with what you said about Soundgarden- 'metal influences but not a metal band...'

But my point was that I never first looked to see if it was Metal or not in allowing myself to listen to something: I just went and did it. My friend Brian wanted to stereotype me and it didn't work because of the variety of stuff I listened to.

And for the record on Soundgarden, they went totally into the shitter on their next album, "Superunknown". :puke: Just junk.

Cheers! :headbang:

I did like Black Hole Sun though... but the rest i agree was crap lol ... :yuk:

I take pride in my narrowmindedness. To me "tolerance" translates to "lack of concept and direction".

I like what I like and don´t give a shit what others think about it. Call me what you will, it does not change the fact that there are some things I like and enjoy a lot and others I don´t care for.

Walter_Langkowski said:

Never been much of a Soundgarden fan, but some of my favs are right there, like Black Hole Sun, Spoonman, Fell On Black Days, My Wave...

I don't mind being called narrow-minded because the people that are telling me this are nearly 100% Grade A hypocrites. They don't listen to metal, doesn't that make them narrow-minded too?

What pisses me off the worst is when they think they know more than you do about music and then make a downright stupid arguement about why their music is better. For example, last person whom made an uncalled for assault on my music claimed that metal is nothing but, "... egocentric squealing of guitars..." This is coming from an industrial enthusiast who think Trent Reznor makes nothing but, "art." SO, if my music is egocentric because of the prominent guitars isn't yours doubly, no, triply-so because you have nothing but ONE egocentric synthesizer and my metal has guitars, bass, drums, violins etc. etc.?

Bah, the stupidity is what pisses me off, not the difference in views.

Some clowns call it "narrow minded", but I say I know what I like and dislike and I'm not afraid to let people know about it. What others think of my musical choices is irrelevant to me. They want to listen to all the shit out there, then good on 'em. I'll stick with my METAL!

Cheers!
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

People are afraid of things they don't understand, simple as that. One guy will ask: "Have you listened to te lyrics?" and another will say: "How on earh do you listen to stuff when you can't make out a word of what they're saying?" :loco: