Are you Open-Minded?

ironbeard said:
Autumnal, I appreciate your point. But, just because I think rap. hip-hop, pop, country and techno are shit, does not mean I'm close-minded. This type of music makes my teeth hurt. I have listened to it and there is NOTHING I like about it.

I personally don't care if you think anything is great or think anything is shit. My point is that classifying ALL hip-hop as instant reaction music made by artists and for audiences that are lazy and unwilling to use their minds and everything else you said is completely close-minded and asinine.

Also, I used metal as a counterpoint because it is a) a genre you obviously like to some degree and b) it is incredibly stereotyped and offhandedly disregarded by the average public.

The problem with what you said is that you are looking at one type of hip-hop (gangsta rap) and then classifying all hip-hop as having those same characteristics. For example, if some ignorant person came on the Opeth board during the big Nu-Metal craze when just about everything 'metal' on the radio was by Limp Bizkit or POD, and this guy said, "Man, I just hate metal, it's just a bunch of pussy white guys rapping and playing one chord riffs" everyone would immediately point out that he doesn't know shit from that brown stuff I just threw at his forehead. Does "a bunch of pussy white guys rapping and playing one chord riffs" describe Opeth in any way?

I don't care what you like, I don't care if it has nothing to offer you, but to say it's just a bunch of trash made by people who don't want to use their ears and minds (and are lazy) trying to provoke people is just uninformed nonsense. You obviously have only predominantly heard gangsta rap, and from that you closed your mind to all other forms of hip-hop using the mentality 'Well if this is shit then all hip-hop must be shit and must be like this'. That's why I suggest listening to cLOUDDEAD. You tell me how what you said about hip-hop fits them.

ironbeard said:
I am not percieving it from a racial stanpoint.
I didn't say or imply you were. That's why I clarified that I meant musical prejudice as opposed to racial prejudice.

Anyway, I'm not flaming or fighting, just trying to illustrate my point.

Sexy_Grandpa said:
I think someone who is musically open-minded can look at any band or artist and see the qualities in that music. Even if you don't like it, you can still appreciate it. The people who wrote the music obviously think what they have done is good and if someone listens to it and doesnt like it, it means that they aren't looking at it from a similar point of view to the artist who wrote it.

:kickass:

Probably the best thing said ever on this subject.

As long as people realise that if they don't like something its THEIR problem, not everyone elses then its fine. I would never knock anyone for being creative, no matter how unenjoyable it is for me personally, its my problem that I don't enjoy it not theirs.

ironbeard said:
Just an observation: I've talked to many people over the years about music, professionals and avid listeners like myself. It appears to me that those who specifically like, Prog Rock, Blues Rock, Jazz and Classical like just those genres and that's it. Some of these have an aversion to Metal,IMO they are close-minded. Now, on the other hand those who are Metal listeners also like other genres of music. Aforementioned above. The point being those who appreciate Metal also dig other music. And those who only dig Prog Rock, Blues Rock, Jazz and Classical don't appreciate Metal. So, I state that Metal listeners are much more open-minded than others. Where do you forum readers stand on all of this? Keep your retarded monkey opinions to yourself if you can't respond in a mature way.:err:
there are more genres than the ones you listed. i can listen to anything as long as it sounds good. thats all that should matter. to answer the question, i find that metal fans are some of the most close-minded music fans out there.

ironbeard said:
Autumnal, I appreciate your point. But, just because I think rap. hip-hop, pop, country and techno are shit, does not mean I'm close-minded. I am not looking at it from a metal perspective. Simply from a musical perspective. This type of music makes my teeth hurt. I have listened to it and there is NOTHING I like about it. I am not percieving it from a racial stanpoint. Some of my best friends are black. Excuse me, while I put on my ten-gallon hat and fuckin' cowboy boots, along with my skin-tight jeans so all the girls will be amazed at my huge basket (all about image, not music) man. Yippee Ki ay, mother fucker.

Most mainstream music period is about image (by no means all though). But there are plenty of country and hip-hop artists with as much creativity, style, and passion as anything else out there.

Autumnal, wow Relax man. I am not trying to start a forum arguement. All the responses show that music preferences are subjective, albeit open-minded or close-minded. I was just stating in my experience that metal listeners appear to be more open than others to different kinds of music. And my opinion on the "mainstream" being, image over musical integrity is just that my opinion. Not an attack at anyone on this forum. An example would be: When Steven Wilson plays a concert he is dressed in jeans and a t-shirt and no shoes. Every rapper and cowboy musician I have seen is always dressed to the hilt. Does it make the music any better? I say NO. Wilson dressed as he is doesn't care about what he wears or doesn't wear. He just PLAYS what he creates. The same thing applies to Opeth. Now, whether I appear to be close-minded or open-minded, I submit to whoever gives a fuck, that Opeth and Wilson are far more concerned with their musical integrity than Toby Keith, Kenny give-me-a-lawnmower Chesney, Kanye West, Wyclef Jean etc etc. Apparently the mainstream drek that is prevalent today has made it's way in to some people's heads on this forum. I feel sorry for you. As far as you not caring what I like or dislike, well, I won't even dignify that with a response.

ironbeard said:
Autumnal, wow Relax man. I am not trying to start a forum arguement. All the responses show that music preferences are subjective, albeit open-minded or close-minded. I was just stating in my experience that metal listeners appear to be more open than others to different kinds of music. And my opinion on the "mainstream" being, image over musical integrity is just that my opinion. Not an attack at anyone on this forum. An example would be: When Steven Wilson plays a concert he is dressed in jeans and a t-shirt and no shoes. Every rapper and cowboy musician I have seen is always dressed to the hilt. Does it make the music any better? I say NO. Wilson dressed as he is doesn't care about what he wears or doesn't wear. He just PLAYS what he creates. The same thing applies to Opeth. Now, whether I appear to be close-minded or open-minded, I submit to whoever gives a fuck, that Opeth and Wilson are far more concerned with their musical integrity than Toby Keith, Kenny give-me-a-lawnmower Chesney, Kanye West, Wyclef Jean etc etc. Apparently the mainstream drek that is prevalent today has made it's way in to some people's heads on this forum. I feel sorry for you.

I am kind of curious as to why you were offended by my posts. My point about what you like and dislike is that I am not taking into consideration what you like and dislike b/c likes don't say anything about being open-minded or not. Someone might only like one genre and not like any other genre, but they can still be open-minded if they will evaluate new groups, etc. That was my point, that it doesn't matter what you like and dislike, it doesn't have anything to do with being open-minded or not.

Also, I am relaxed, nothing I have said has been confrontational, which is why I even made a point of saying I wasn't trying to start an argument. I am sorry that you can't have a discussion. The moment someone tries to present a different point of view you get super defensive.

Also, in terms of feeling sorry for me, don't. I'm not arguing who has musical integrity or talent or whatever. Also, notice I didn't defend a single person you mentioned up there nor did I attack anyone.

Btw, the image thing is not a very good argument. Diff. groups of people (be they fans or musicians) dress the way they dress, but all because Mike goes on stage in black jeans and a black t-shirt in no way affects whether I think he has more musical integrity than 50 Cent if 50 wears sagging jeans and a bulletproof vest. His music has a say in his musical integrity, his clothing doesn't. All the black metal guys in corpse paint I think is more laughable than the rappers, b/c at least the rappers can wear that in their everyday lives, whereas the corpse paint is blatantly for performance.

In terms of the drek comment and how it has permeated people's minds, I would challenge that it is you who has been infiltrated by the mainstream drivel. You see their diff. images and call everyone in the entire genre (and not even subgenres but general genres) shit b/c the way they dress and their image says to you they have no musical integrity.

Anyway, as I said before, I'm not fighting and I'm not angry. I was trying to discuss with you something but you can't discuss it, you have to attack me and tell me that I should relax, I've been permeated by the drek and shit, and that you feel sorry for me. Well good. In any event, it doesn't matter to me what music anyone on this forum likes or dislikes as long as I can have a mature discussion with them, and since I can't with you, I'm done.

As far as the first question goes, I think that within every genre if you like bands that merge musical boundaries (such as Opeth) then that person has a greater chance of being openminded. I think in general though metal fans are very close-minded.

You can feel free to bash me now as I am no longer responding in the thread.

ironbeard said:
As far as you not caring what I like or dislike, well, I won't even dignify that with a response.

Umm, should I point out that that is a response?

Im quite open minded to the metal genre but i lose touch with other forms of rock. Except classic.

I listen to rap every so often. Mostly Bone Thugs N Harmony

Autumnal, I certainly did not mean to offend you or anyone. You appear from the way you write, to be an intelligient person. Who knows what he/she likes and doesn't. Remember, the original post ? was, do you believe Metal listeners are more open-minded to other genres of music? I stated that I believe they are and left it open. I probably should'nt have said "that mainstream music has entered the minds of those on this forum. We probably just come from different backgrounds and upbringings. I have never been understanding or appreciative of the "mainstream" that being media, t.v. internet, newspapers or radio. I believe in this country, it[mainstream] is designed to keep the American public in fear. So that the "government" can control the people. I'm getting off course,sorry. But, imagemakers are what the mainstream music world is about,trying to forcefeed this drek down our throats. Now, to put the boot on the throat of "imagemakers" I propose that they are all sentenced to a term in jail, until they can realize true talent and promote it accordingly. Good for you that you can find quality in the mainstream. Going back again to different eras of growth,that's all. Because I love this country USA and served in the military for her means to me that I have a right to be critical of whatever. Once again, I apologize for my rambling, but it all ties in, man. I dig your opinions. I just don't understand how it got from the original post? to this discussion. Your right, enough said.Peace.

ironbeard said:
But, imagemakers are what the mainstream music world is about,trying to forcefeed this drek down our throats. Now, to put the boot on the throat of "imagemakers" I propose that they are all sentenced to a term in jail, until they can realize true talent and promote it accordingly.

don't get caught up in that shit. after the imagemakers go to jail and make opeth the next image, someone who doesn't like opeth will be saying the same thing. its seems to me like you give way to much of a shit about the mainstream drek. do you want your favorite music to be in the mainstream, so it can set the mainstream world straight?

Did you understand the post,Joe? I am completely against the mainstream, NO I do not want music I love to be part of it. I am (for lack of a better word) underground. How can you ignore the mainstream when it's everywhere. When you watch t v, internet and newspapers. Don't tell me to turn it off. Sadly, it is a huge part of our culture. So, get it straight, I despise anything that is mainstream. I am fuckin' banning myself from this fucked up forum. Some of you couldn't find your ass with both hands, a map and a flashlight. Open your fuckin' eyes. I got better things to do with my time than argue with a bunch of ingrates. Face to Face, I guarntee you, some of the idiots on this forum would not say anything to me. I have forgot more than some of you will ever see. Over and fuckin' out.

ironbeard said:
Did you understand the post,Joe? I am completely against the mainstream, NO I do not want music I love to be part of it. I am (for lack of a better word) underground. How can you ignore the mainstream when it's everywhere. When you watch t v, internet and newspapers. Don't tell me to turn it off. Sadly, it is a huge part of our culture. So, get it straight, I despise anything that is mainstream. I am fuckin' banning myself from this fucked up forum. Some of you couldn't find your ass with both hands, a map and a flashlight. Open your fuckin' eyes. I got better things to do with my time than argue with a bunch of ingrates. Face to Face, I guarntee you, some of the idiots on this forum would not say anything to me. I have forgot more than some of you will ever see. Over and fuckin' out.

yes, i do understand that you are completely against the mainstream. this is what i'm addressing. you say that you despise anything that is mainstream. what kind of outlook is that? what if opeth was the next big thing? like, backstreet boys big... would their music then stand for the mainstream?

CAIRATH said:
And it's not like buying a CD means "I love you as a person and agree with everything you do and this is my monetary support for your personal agenda". It means "hey you made music that I like".

Exactly.

Hating the mainstream just because it's mainstream is just really really stupid. That's all there is to it.

JoeVice said:
yes, i do understand that you are completely against the mainstream. this is what i'm addressing. you say that you despise anything that is mainstream. what kind of outlook is that? what if opeth was the next big thing? like, backstreet boys big... would their music then stand for the mainstream?
Yes, it would.