what your parents think about the songs you listen to?

Rosa Negra Imortal

love never dies
Jun 13, 2002
Jardim da Saudade
Visit site
Here, at the very beginnig, it was no problem because I used to listen to common heavy stuff like Metallica, Alien Sex Fiend, Guns N' Roses, Nirvana, Rush and stuff
Things changed when I started listen to death metal like Defecation, Napalm Death, Brutal Truth, Obituary...The growls caught their eyes beucase it was something that they never heard before.
Nowadays things are ok. People here are very open minded. We listen to every kind of music (my mother is into classical music, my brother likes jazz, blues, new age, eletronic stuff and my father enjoys popular brazilian music...and I like everything and most metal).
So, I kind of made them like some metal stuff. My brother now enjoys Opeth as well as my mother (she likes Dani and the Filths too) and my father:D
That's it.

Not quite sure. My dad thinks it's all the same (all metal = death metal and it's all evil), which is fair enough because he listens to Shakira, so I wasn't expecting anything more. My mother I managed to get into Rammstein a while back... but that's basically because she's some kind of German nationalist and is basically only listening to them because of that... she tried Still Life a while ago and said some bullshit like 'This is Led Zeppelin meets Black Sabbath' or some shit... I just laughed. They seem alright with me blaring it every day, but as for actually liking it, they're a long way off on musical patience/knowledge to truly appreciate it... same applies to all my friends.

My friends are either into shit like Slayer, Napalm Death, Sepultura and strictly just metal... or they are into shit like In Flames, but mainly like acoustic shit and hate growling etc. etc.

So this makes it very hard for me to find someone to go with when Opeth hit Melbourne... (IF they hit Melbourne).

around 5-6 years ago I ONLY listened to metal and harder rock. At first my parents didn't mind I think, but when I started listening to death and black metal they kind of started to worry. They have always been overprotecting, so they meant it was bad for me listening to music where people worshipped Satan and all that shit. Maybe they were right. When I was a black metal head I started looking into Northern Mythology and got kind of sucked into it and didn't like christianity 'cause "they ruined the vikings beliefs" and shit. Then I started listening to hip hop and kind of "skipped" metal and maybe they were happy, but maybe not. Around '93 or something a boy was stabbed to death here in Denmark. He was listening to hip hop and so were the guys who killed him and they were also wearing clothes with logos of Los Angeles Raiders and other stuff, so the media blew it up and it was kind of "common knowledge" that if you listened to hip hop, you had a knife on you!!! When I started listening to hip hop my dad of course said something like "Why you wanna be a hip hopper? They have knives!!!"!!!!
Today I basically listen to all kinds of music (except hip hop and other electronic stuff (besides Kraftwerk)), but mainly from the 60's and 70's and I think my parents don't care what I listen to. Maybe also because I'm 21 now and it was kind of different when I was 15. When I listen to some black metal I sometimes get that "Is that supposed to sound good?" comment, but I don't really care, as taste is different. Some of the stuff I listen to my parents also likes. They like for instance John Barry's soundtrack to "Until September". They have played it for some of our friends when they have come to visit us and I think they liked it too. I also think it's a great soundtrack and I'm a big fan of Mr. Barry (25 records, 4 cd's & one 7" single). I don't think they like any of the metal I like though, although my mother said it sounded good when I listened to the ending of Opeth's "Dirge for November". I don't really think they care that much for what I listen to. I buy records all the time and currently have around 1050 records, so I think they would have a hard time keeping track of all the stuff I'm listening to.
I also like some of my parents music. They don't really listen to music that much anymore, but I'm very happy that my mother bought a record by Dusty Springfield called "Wishin' & Hopin'" (a compilation) back in the 60's, as it has "Summer is over" which is a fantastic track and also "You don't own me" which is superb all the way through (and much better than Lesley Gore's original)!! She was also into jazz and enjoy some of her Oscar Peterson records. Especially the song "Wheatland" from the "Canadiana Suite" record, which is a fantastic track as well!!!! She also has some other good stuff like Shocking Blue, Beatles, Cream, Sahib Shihab and so on. I can also thank her record collection for another fantastic track: Procul Harum's "A whiter shade of pale". I don't like my father's records that much though, as he mostly bought Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass, Hammond records and shit like that in the 60's. The music he listens to now is Danish pop music, Richard Claydermann and shit like that, so that's not any better!

I'm the metal meat in the sandwich of my family - one piece of bread being my parents, and the other piece of bread being my wife & kids.

My parents think my music is all noise - period. They can never hear the artistry of some of the amazing licks metal guitarists, drummists, or bassists lay down. I've always thought that good metal music is the most complex, fastest, and emotional music, but my parents get totally turned off by metal vocals. Also, they read too much in the media about metal lyrics, so that too is a turn off. And, they think metal is too loud.

At least I've turned my kids into SOME metal. My son is a music generalist, and rarely remembers what bands he listens to. My daughter likes Luca Turilli and Opeth, and many metal songs from various bands. My wife likes some metal, but not much.

My dad doesn't really care about what I listen to. My mom just says how can you like that stuff? She is cool with it though. Whenever I show her some evil looking stuff from an album or something she just says "That's awful." But it doesn't bother her that I like that kind of stuff.

Neither of my parents understand me listening to death or black metal.They think that because I'm a girl,I should be listening to more popular,upbeat,happy music...but they've gotten over that.I've managed to get them into some hard rock.My dad likes Tool,Soundgarden and Ozzy.My mother listens to Staind,Metallica,and other nu-metal that I'm into,but I won't try to make them listen to anything beyond that.My mother can't get past the vocals of Opeth,Immolation or Cradle of Filth,so I don't bother playing that around her.

When I used to listen to Iron Maiden, Metallica etc. my folks were fine with it, my mum even used to sing along to The Unforgiven.

But now I'm into heavier stuff, death metal, and they definitely don't like the music. I think my mother's words were "That's awful" when she heard The Amen Corner, which was her first taste of Opeth. My dad probably respects the music, but can't get over the death vocals.

While they don't like the actual music, they don't mind me listening to it too much - except Cradle of Filth, which they take to be evil and they think I'll start murding people. Yet it's fine for my older brother to listen to Cradle of Filth. I hate being the youngest in the family. :mad:

But when we were on holiday there was some crappy pop music on radio, and my dad asked me what music I'd brought with me. When I said "Opeth, so you won't like it" he said "Put it on anyway, it's gotta be better than this." Maybe he's getting used to it... :D

out of what i listen to, my mum likes:
lacuna coil
(some) katatonia
dream theatre
hmm..thats it

of her own choosing she listens to:
the calling
the eagles
other random 'old-person' stuff...

p.s. my dad doesnt even care...

It seems that most parents don't like our metal music because of the vocals. I have to admit that I never found as much as ONE single vocal in black/death metal (or other stuff where they growl/scream) that I like!! Some are less worse than others, but I can never put on a Dimmu Borgir record and say "He sings good". If I would say that it would have to be because I put on a record by Marvin Gaye or Isley Brothers. As I think there's a lot of metal with crappy vocals, I have learnt to live with the vocals. Burzum's "Hvis lyset tar oss" is my favorite black metal album, but the vocal is one of the worst vocals I've ever heard!!! Maybe that's what scares parents away. They didn't pay that much attention to the music itself and when the awful vocals comes across it just ruins every hope there was! A friend of mine always says "Don't you have some black metal" and plays a blastbeat on his knees whenever we sits in the car. Everytime I play something for him that has a worse vocal than Satyricon or Dimmu Borgir he thinks it sucks! He didn't like Tulus because of the vocals and the same thing with Burzum (before "Filosofem") and probably more or less everything else in that department. To me the vocals doesn't matter anymore, but I think they do to a lot of people. That's probably also why you don't see Rotting Christ on MTV, although their music nowadays (or at least at "Triarchy of the lost lover" or "Sleep of the angels") isn't much harder than the nu-metal shit played on MTV. Not saying that they're nu-metal (I have both records), but the music is not that hard or fast, but the vocals are too extreme.

Originally posted by Board
I have to admit that I never found as much as ONE single vocal in black/death metal (or other stuff where they growl/scream) that I like!! Some are less worse than others, but I can never put on a Dimmu Borgir record and say "He sings good". If I would say that it would have to be because I put on a record by Marvin Gaye or Isley Brothers. A friend of mine always says "Don't you have some black metal" and plays a blastbeat on his knees whenever we sits in the car.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

mom doesn't care, she's never said anything

dad makes stereotypical jokes about them but i don't think he cares much...unless i'm playing my music too loud. Once he burst into my room at 2am and started shouting at me.

I made my mother listen to Death and The Crown..She thinks the drumming and is incredible..she plays guitar so she appreciates and understands most of my music..She actually likes Children of Bodom,vocals and all...My father heard me playing Still Life one day and told me it was the most terrible thing he had ever heard...

Originally posted by Silent Downfall
my dog never stays in my room so my mom is always like 'i guess she doesnt like your music' which i find to be confusing, how can a dog decipher that?
Ears.

My parents don't like it, and think it is all "I'm going to eat your face while I rip your veins out BWAAAAHHHH!!!!", but they really don't give a damn.

My mother likes some My Dying Bride stuff, which is cool, and my "dad" liked Iced Earth when I played it.

My mother is deaf, so unless I turn it up loud enough to make my ears bleed, she can't hear it, so she has no idea.
My father thinks growling is stupid (which it is, really, even though I love it ;)), but he can appreciate the music. He's gotten into some of it, he liked Within Temptation's last album, the big solo parts in 7th son (the song), and some other stuff.