what your parents think about the songs you listen to?

My mum doesn't mind Metallica, Dream Theater or Symphony X, but i don't think she's heard any Death Metal. I think she knows i listen to it, btu she doesn't know it's called Death Metal :D all she knows is that some of the music i listen to has growling in it and that's only because she's heard me say it. She's never actually heard the music. My dad, well he doesn't mind Metallica or Dream Theater. He's never heard any of my other music really. Mostly my parents don't give a crap what i listen to. The respect my right to listen to what i want to listen to and don't force anything on me or make me do anything i don't want to do. So all in all they're pretty damn cool about my music.

I think my parents don't even know what kind of music I listen to. Ok, maybe they know it's some harder stuff but that's it. They would definitely say something if I played them some brutal death, for now on they've only heard some Opeth. Better keep it this way..

Since I am a 40 year old CPO in the U.S. Navy, I will answer your question this way...

My fellow chief peers and officers appointed over me think that I am the devil incarnate because of my playing of Opeth.

When I was running Maintenance Control, we would have our meetings in the morning, in which when all of the work center supervisors would arrive, they would get a dose of Opeth, among other "unnormal" metal bands.

Hey, Misanthrope. :lol: I think you're THEIR BUSINESS until you get your miserable ass out of THEIR HOUSE. Unless you are already... :rolleyes:

Parents? I'd ask them if I could.

My Parents thinks that I listen "Satanic-Suicidal-Drug" Music, what a shame, well there are some like that , but for me the important thing is the music but they dont believe me:confused:
And all my Cds are down my bed in shitty boxes :mad:
But doesnt matter I would Always be a true metalhead:headbang:

My parents like metal, excet maybe for some bands but a few days ago i was going with my mother at her work and in the car we were listening to some cds: Dark Funeral, Satyricon and Immortal, she didn't start headbanging, but she said she kinda like that music. Anyway they like much Opeth, Dream Theater and so on..

Mine like a bit of Dream Theater, softer Opeth and stuff like that but they hate all my heavier stuff. They admit that the musical work is good but I dont think they can get past the groweling. I do vocals for a Brutal-Metal band so they get to listen me practicing as much as I can, that may have added to their low tolerance hahaha

my parents seem to be fine with the music i listen to and enjoy a bit of it. though they havent heard too much they seem to like opeth, winds and other stuff like that

My parents love my music. My dad goes to all the concerts and listens to my metal cds like Iron Maiden, Megadeth, Angel Dust, and Nevermore. Those are his favorite bands but I see him grab cds from The Doors to Children Of Bodom. The only metal group my mom really likes is Amorphis.

my parents are stupid.
my mum asked "oh whats this" when Harvest was on, and i said 'Opeth' and she said they sound really good, then The Drapery Falls comes on and she's calling them "Hopeleth".

my dad calls it all headbanging nonsense with no musical or vocal talent.

my brother is hugely into rap but is open minded enough not to bitch about my evil devil music. i, however, will continue to openly bitch about his stupid rap :p

- ham (the bastard)

Well I was waiting for Hiss's reply on this (I already know what it is :p ) but I'll go for it anyway.

My dad grew up with the heaviest music that was around in his day (60's and 70's). He was into bands like The Beatles, Black Sabbath, The Who, Deep Purple, and lots of prog stuff like King Crimson, Genesis, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Camel. He was even at the 1974 California Jam Festival (ELP, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple). Anyway it was easy to get him into some things like the more mainstream Metallica and Iron Maiden stuff, some of Dream Theater (James LaBrie annoys him though... I can see why but I like JLB nonetheless) and Savatage (Edge Of Thorns mainly).

My mom isn't really into music, she listens to radio a lot and she likes all the pop hits but she is neutral to metal, doesn't look like she cares, and I'm totally OK with that. She buys me any CD I ask for when she goes abroad and she only tells me to turn it down when it's late.

I regularly blast out any kinds of metal from classic heavy metal to thrash, death and black metal, and I never really get complaints about the music itself. I could be "blasting" Beatles and I wouldn't get any less complaints.

My brother is into anything from classical to pop to hard rock. He unfortunately has been getting into some crappy nu-metal bands lately (I say crappy because *shock* there actually are one or two good ones). He likes a lot of what I like to call "lesbian rock". I.e. Alanis Morrissette, Sheryl Crow, this kind of stuff. Dunno why I call it lesbian rock but it just sounds lesbian :D. He is a bit religious so he gave me a lot of shit when he saw a Rotting Christ CD I bought but he won't do anything crazy like take away my CD, he'll just bust my balls about it. He has a loathing for modern progressive metal because he thinks that it's a misuse of the word "progressive" and that the bans actually don't deserve this prized "prog" label. I managed to convince him that Dream Theater are progressive but he thinks bands like Symphony X, Queensryche, Savatage and even Rush aren't even close to progressive.

My dad gives me a lot of shit for buying TONS of CDs... and he's right, I buy tons of 'em, I must have bought about 30 of them so far this year. I think I have a little over 200 albums right now. I have a serious space problem in my room, there are CDs all over the place. But I don't care, for now I'd like to build up a nice CD collection and if I ever get bored of a particular band, I can always sell the cds and get at least half the money back.

My mom doesn't quite understand my music. She says all of it sounds the same. For instance, today, Godsmack was on the radio (I had to listen to something...). She told me to turn it off because she was tired of listening to this "heavy metal" stuff. So, she's basically comparing Death to Godsmack.... I'm trying to get my dad into stuff like Iced Earth and Maiden... he at least can appreciate the music (sometimes... but, he hates the growling). They're also on a big thing about the lyrics because I'm bi-polar and shit... I don't think they'll ever get over it. But, oh well... they haven't take anything away yet, so I'm still happy.

My dad is 61 years old. If he liked Opeth, I would fall over from a heart attack. Back in the day, he'd be bothered by a Van Halen song much less anything really heavy.

My Dad is fairly cool when it comes to my music. I mean, he has a laugh and a joke about the growls and shit, but he still respects it. He grew up with the likes of Sabbath, Uriah, Zeppelin, Budgie, Floyd, all the greats.
He actualy came to see Opeth with me in London. Well, he didn't exactly see much, he got pissed as and fell asleep on the stairs of the pub. At least he made the effort to come along.
\m/

Well the first really heavy CD I bought was Orchid by Opeth and In Mist She Was Standing starts with like 2 minutes or so of no vocals, so none of us (me and my parents) knew what to expect. I tripped out on the vocals since I had never heard a powerful growler before. The only other growler I had ever heard was Dani Filth and Mikael makes him sound like crap. Anyway My dad respects the musical quality (being a musician himself and into progressive music) but hates the vocals. My mom likes the soft songs but hates everything else. I'm not crazy abou the vocals myself, as I prefer something powerful, yet clear, like Dio or something. Anyway you get used to it and so did my parents. My mom still hates it but my dad can look past the vocals. And he was begging me to put it on after I played half of "With Fear..." by At The Gates.

My Parents don't understand; They don't try to. They do not care. They sometimes comment aobut me wearing all black and listening to that scary shit like Cradle of Filth and sad shit like ...And Here I Lie, but they don't care. They do care that I smoke though. So..... I'm sool for two more years then i'm gone! Norway/Sweden, Here I come!

Originally posted by ham
my mum asked "oh whats this" when Harvest was on, and i said 'Opeth' and she said they sound really good, then The Drapery Falls comes on and she's calling them "Hopeleth".

Is it bad that I found this really funny? :confused: :rolleyes: :cry: