Are you Open-Minded?

BloodSword

Jan 30, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Just an observation: I've talked to many people over the years about music, professionals and avid listeners like myself. It appears to me that those who specifically like, Prog Rock, Blues Rock, Jazz and Classical like just those genres and that's it. Some of these have an aversion to Metal,IMO they are close-minded. Now, on the other hand those who are Metal listeners also like other genres of music. Aforementioned above. The point being those who appreciate Metal also dig other music. And those who only dig Prog Rock, Blues Rock, Jazz and Classical don't appreciate Metal. So, I state that Metal listeners are much more open-minded than others. Where do you forum readers stand on all of this? Keep your retarded monkey opinions to yourself if you can't respond in a mature way.:err:

If you browse some other forums (or even just this one) you will find that the majority of metal listeners (or 'metal heads' if you will) are just as close minded as those people.

As for me, yes, I think I am openminded. My music collection covers a lot of ground and I am quite proud of it.

agreed with the above post. metal fans are not more nor less open-minded than the aforementioned music fans IMO-- there are plenty of metalheads who will listen to nothing but metal.

I am EXTREMELY open-minded, and am huge into metal, my collection coveres probably every genre you could think of except for maybe techno, and I'm sure Pain - Rebirth can fall into that genre as well...

for instance, my playlist for today is made up of Kataklysm, Despised Icon, Michael Buble, The Mandrake, D12, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Suffocation...

I'm not too open-minded, but I'm not too close-minded either. I listen to some jazz (Coltrane, Pastorius, Davis, Marcus Miller) and some prog too (Rush, Porcupine Tree, Floyd, Camel), but metal is the majority of what I listen to.

Firstly, I don't like this question. No offence.

I don't like Dave Mathew's Band. Can someone can call me closeminded for that eventhough I like Solefald, Opeth, Thelonius Monk and other various "strange" music?

Being open minded is all about the desire to try new things or think new ways. If you conclude that it is shit, you are no less open minded.

I listen to everything. Joan Baez, Cannoball Adderly, Robert Johnson, Billy Idol, Cryptopsy, NWA, Chopin, the list goes on endlessly. my brother listens to shit like killswitch engage and shit, but thats it. all "metalcore" stuff, all the fucking time. I don't know how you can wake up every day and always be in the mood for the same shit, and I emphasize shit in reference to his music. sometimes I'll wake up and put on some reggae, and sometimes I'll put on tori amos. I try and get him into a lot of stuff, but he only likes his shit screamo/whatever bands. it's awful, being stuck on a single plane, so to speak.

I don't think I am very open minded. I do enjoy jazz, blues, classical, rock, folk and (especially) metal, but some genres (rap, punk, pop, dance and country for example) just don't interest me. I'm happy with what I listen to, and I'm really not fussed about what I may be missing out on because I enjoy what I am into too much to be bothered.

Braighs said:
Firstly, I don't like this question. No offence.
Being open minded is all about the desire to try new things or think new ways. If you conclude that it is shit, you are no less open minded.

exactly...being open minded doesn't mean LIKING everything, but being willing to at least EXPERIENCE something before making any type of judgement...

thats a good point braighs made. in that respect i am moderately open minded. i dont even try to listen to most of the stuff on the radio (missy elliot, black eyed peas and all that shit) but im wiling to try most other stuff. my tastes cover plenty of genres. i like classical, jazz, swing, metal, prog, rock, anything.

the funny thing about this conversation on an opeth forum is how skewed it is. id say by nature, an opeth-metalhead is probably a little bit more open minded than the average straightforward metalhead, just due to the circumstances. a classic metal head may only listen to bands like slayer, megadeth, morbid angel, judas priest, iron maiden and stratovarius, etc etc. But a metalhead into opeth these days can often be found listening to radiohead or king crimson just as easily as morbid angel or judas priest. I think thats an important duality.

but yea, id have to disagree with metalheads being more openminded than a classic rock or progressive rock fan in general, it would vary from person to person. plenty of progressive rock fans also love jazz, or folk, or blues, or classic rock and soul music, etc. but also a large number of metalheads can be just as versatile OR closeminded too. in other words, stereotypes when concerning Opeth are becoming more and more flimsy. and i think a lot of those barriers being broken down are owed to bands like opeth and porcupine tree blurring the lines of mellow and heavy so easily.

levels of open-mindedness aren't a stamp on listeners of specific genres...but, in general, i'd say that tr00 metal listeners are some of the most close minded people i know when it comes to taste of music.

to me, being open minded isn't defined by your taste...its about how you approach things...one could be close minded and still like more kinds of music than someone with an open mind. being open minded is about questioning your own biases.

average stalker said:
quoted for truth. basically everything i listen to is metal, but that doesn't mean i'm close minded. it just means that i like what i like.

but at the same time, you have to ask yourself why EVERYTHING you listen to must be from the heavy metal genre? do you just not bother to listen to anything else? or do you just not like anything else? if you answer yes to either one, thats reason to beleive you are close minded in some light.

NineFeetUnderground said:
but at the same time, you have to ask yourself why EVERYTHING you listen to must be from the heavy metal genre? do you just not bother to listen to anything else? or do you just not like anything else? if you answer yes to either one, thats reason to beleive you are close minded in some light.

bingo...but, i guess that means that a perfect open mind would like everything. as my band director always said, strive for perfection, achieve excellence. i think that its the same way with trying to have an open mind. when you listen to something that you hate, if you can honestly say that you have tried to like it as much as possible, that you have tried to label every reason that you dislike it as ignorant, and in the end, you still can't find a single reason to like it...uhhh....well, i guess thats it. thats the thought process of being open minded.

its not about the desire to try new things...that is the desire to learn. being open-minded is about how these new things are approached and judged.