Are you Open-Minded?

i dont think im open minded nor close minded

i just give everything a try... then if i like it i like it, if i dont i dont and that's it

I am open minded when it comes to metal, prog rock and classic rock. The other genres never appealed to me.
IMO, being open minded means giving bands a try, and not necessarily liking them after. I am willing to give bands a try if they are either of the above stated genres.

I consider myself quite open-minded. I think that if you play an instrument and record, then if you are more open-minded you can really compose out of a small enclosed space, and can be inspired by some many more genres.
My music library does cover a very large amount of music genres, the only exceptions being hip-hop and pop

What does it really mather if you are open-minded or not? And I don't think metal fans are more open-minded then other people in general, more likely the opposite.

That statement (regarding the open mindedness of metal heads) WAS true, and probably still is in some regards. Sure, metalheads love all kinds of music, but I noticed that most have become as closed-minded as all the prog rock purists/fanatics. They cannot accept that their favorite bands evolve, change a bit of their sound over the years, try some new stuff and bring interesting and refreshing ideas to their work. Bands like In Flames, Soilwork (and more recently Opeth) and others of the like were bashed, flamed, destroyed by the same so-called "fans" that adulated them in their early days. So they are more popular? You should feel happy for them! You don't like what they do anymore? Why bother listening? Just move on, and let these bands/artists/musicians go their own way. What is even more funny is the fact that these same metalheads complaining about change within a band are the exact same people who complain that Iron Maiden records the same album over and over ever since way back when... :rolleyes:

As for me personnaly, well, I really love metal in most of its forms (death, black, power, speed, thrash, prog) and I also enjoy prog rock, jazz, classical, alternative rock, pop rock, etc... There is something good in every style, you just have to find the artist within a certain style that suits your tastes... and always try to keep an open mind !

Cheers to All !

First off, I think what Braighs said and Ninefeetunderground said, are valid if not totally correct. I don't think there is right or wrong answer. I have had these discussions, in my circle of friends for years. That being said, the reason for my ? was that people from all over the world are members of this forum. As I also said in a previous post, I respect and appreciate young peoples opinions. I have kids of my own 28 and 25. And have learned through them of young intelligience ,courage and valor. Off point, I served in Viet Nam and now our young men and women are in Iraq. Wrong or right they are making the sacrifice. Thank you all for your thoughtful and mature posts. Peace.

I think being open minded can be good, but then again if you are too open to too many things at the same time it can become quite a swamp, and its hardly worth it. Open minded is surely better over a number of years rather than just BAM, its so easy to miss several points rather than to get one at a time.

For instance I like the fact that the watered down nu metals, pop punks and so on exist because they are easier for people to "get into", then when and if they are ready they can try something perhaps a little more complex or whtever. Its great that some people can get into Opeth and other bands right away, but some people need time and that slow release, their minds opening slowly like a flower rather than being blasted open right away.

I reckon they are more likely to appreciate different aspects of the subject over time than someone who focuses on 20 different genres at once. But it depends on the person I guess.

Personally I think I'm pretty open-minded, even if I wouldn't listen to something or can't understand it myself I love the fact that others can get some enjoyment out of someone elses creativity. Even rap and whatever else.

The culture that goes with these things on the other hand... :lol:

i will give any band a chance, with the one exception being those who oppose (different is fine, but oppose...) ideologies i stand for. such bands like the NSBM ones, or bands whose members have committed serious crimes like murder or who are racists, these things i cannot get into. anyone else, genre regardless, i will give a listen and see if i like it.

Kenneth R. said:
i will give any band a chance, with the one exception being those who oppose (different is fine, but oppose...) ideologies i stand for. such bands like the NSBM ones, or bands whose members have committed serious crimes like murder or who are racists, these things i cannot get into. anyone else, genre regardless, i will give a listen and see if i like it.

I sometimes feel the same, but I'm not sure. I mean, murder and racism, among other crimes, are horrible, but they don't affect the music. This has happened for hundreds of years, too. Richard Wagner was anti-semitic, but he wrote some great music. That being said, I tend to try to avoid bands who promote satanism and such, though most of the time it's just to put on a show rather than to actually promote satanism. It's still stupid, though.

Kenneth R. said:

This is so silly. So how does this work then. If Dan Swano kills his entire family tomorrow you're going to throw all of his CDs in the trash?

I prefer not to listen to music that actually carries an overtly racist message (or atleast not one that is audible without reading the lyrics) but beyond that I couldn't care less what the people in the bands I listen to think or get up to in their sparetime. It doesn't affect their music in any way.

CAIRATH said:
This is so silly. So how does this work then. If Dan Swano kills his entire family tomorrow you're going to throw all of his CDs in the trash?

I prefer not to listen to music that actually carries an overtly racist message (or atleast not one that is audible without reading the lyrics) but beyond that I couldn't care less what the people in the bands I listen to think or get up to in their sparetime. It doesn't affect their music in any way.
you might think it's silly, but i would rather my money (because omgz yes i BUY cds) goes to people who do something good/cool with it.

Kenneth R. said:
you might think it's silly, but i would rather my money (because omgz yes i BUY cds) goes to people who do something good/cool with it.
Or you could buy the cd for the music. I personally dont give a fuck for what they do with their money.

I buy cd's because I want the music physically and not just as a file on the computer, not to support the artist(which I do anyway, but supporting the artist isnt my objective when I buy a cd).

I would definately agree that Metalheads are more open minded usually. I myself listen to Latin, Jazz, Blues, Classic Rock, Punk (Exploited, Misfits..not the blink 182 shit) as well as Extreme Metal...I just prefer Metal above the others. But, it pisses me off when I run into some guys that say "If you listen to anything other than Black Metal you're not "true" and youre a fag".