Closed minded thread!

what if you mix all the kinds of metal like power,prog doom,black,heavy, and whatever metal how do you call it . Its still metal but not like all the others . I'm in a band end we mix it all and nobody knows where to put us wich is a great compliment but its a disadvantage at the same time becouse nobody knows were to put us and so we give it a name so please those who need it :) but it never fit the pakage

Cirrha Niva, right?
I saw you guys in 013, Only thing i can remember is that the drumkit was full of lights and it looked like a christmas tree..
It's been a year or two/ three, so forgive me.
Welcome aboard!

xxx Iris xxx
:headbang:

i'm also tending to agree with all the peoples who are saying that you have to have cattagories in order to describe metal. yes, metalized, my friend, it is ALL metal, and MOST of it is REAL metal (excluding that rap-rock crap :mad: grrr.. i can't stand that stuff...), but it needs to be cattagorized, if only for ease of recognition. it's true- you could say nevermore is metal, and ac-dc is metal, and creed is metal... but they all sound so DRASTICALLY different! you have to have different metal-terms to describe them, otherwise, to a lost outsider who has no clue, it's just all metal, and there's no discrimination between the styles.
okay, i've said my piece. :cool:

Hy Ires
Wel you remember one thing thats beter than nothing:D come see us with our theater show now, you will remember (I promise) some real diferent stuf :lol: Its very interesting overhere so I'm glad to be aboard. I now we need the subs thou its a pity some time becouse you will mis a band that could be very intersting to you but becouse some one says its like Myckol Clakson you think well thats non for me but if you listen it could be very interesting . so I've spoken again :D Metal rules in all its forms

I think that all of you guys are looking way too into this. Metal is music. And every different kind of metal is still metal, which is still music. You don't have to rip people apart just because they don't agree with you. I don't like Black Metal. Is someone going to come along and chew me out for it? Probably. We all have different tastes, but that's what I love, or thought I loved about the whole entire metal scene. There are so many diffent people that are into it, and we accept so many different things. Someone doesn't like the same thing you like, deal with it. That, my friends, is life.

Originally posted by Skreemqueen
I think that all of you guys are looking way too into this. Metal is music. And every different kind of metal is still metal, which is still music. You don't have to rip people apart just because they don't agree with you. I don't like Black Metal. Is someone going to come along and chew me out for it? Probably. We all have different tastes, but that's what I love, or thought I loved about the whole entire metal scene. There are so many diffent people that are into it, and we accept so many different things. Someone doesn't like the same thing you like, deal with it. That, my friends, is life.

skreemqueen, you are my hero. i agree completely; in the end, everything is music, and music is what it's all about. take it or leave it, but you have to love it.

I get so fucking confused with all these stupid categories, and yet I'm a slave to it at the same time.

The worst part is when category definitions change over time. I think I finally get a sub-genre all figured out and then its sound changes and I'm confused all over again.

It's all so stupid. I really think it makes more sense to describe a band in more detail if you want someone to know what they sound like. Like describing what they're lyrics are about, instrumentation, type of vocals, speed, song lengths... It may take a little longer, but it's more meaningful than applying arbitrary labels.

I think the sub-genres are a mixed bag. When I'm trying to discover new bands, it is helpful to know the sub-genre they fall under in order to know what to expect. But, ironically, that is also the problem. I automatically discount some bands without even hearing them. If someone says black or death metal, I'll move along and find something else. It's not that I don't like any bands from those genres, but I don't like them generally. So they are both helpful and hurtful. I think musically narrow-minded are annoying. I used to think all non-metal music was crap until I actually realized how stupid I was. I'm not saying you have to like other music, but at least recognize that there are talented musicians in other genres. Or keep denying it and live on in your little dream world.

Later.

((Faith wishes for all to know that this is her fiancée typing and not her))

Hey all. Faith and I been reading through this thread and it has left me with the question...."Where does Limp Bizkit fall into this" LMAO

I mean...the kids love the red baseball caps and since the suit-and-tie grammy corporations like to call bands like Sarah Machlachlan (Maruchan..however it's spelled) Metal...and since Metallica (who used to make decent albums) and Limp Bizkit were both on the Mission Impossible 2 soundtrack...AAAAAANNNND since Limp Bizkit has been referred to as "Metal" for their Grammy nominations...Can we assume that the Mission Impossible 2 Soundtrack is metal right up their with the Demon Knight Soundtrack?

Anyway..*laughing* I know this girl that listens to only "Blackmetal" because ....and I quote "Everything Else Sucks". Now....I'm a guitarist. I've gone through blues, country, and jazz scales to improve my speed and soloing technique. Would this make my style "not metal"? I think it's just an age-old argument that I've heard ever since metal was big. We don't want to refer to Limp Bizkit as "metal" since the Grammy nominations say they are so we just call it "Gay-ass Mall Shopper Metal" and that's just that.

I agree with the idea that it's just all "metal". I agree with this although many bands have many different styles, but they are still signed because they play what their labels refer to as "metal". Most record execs couldn't hold their cocks while they piss let alone care if it's "Metal but not like metallica metal but more like a darkness infatuated storytelling brand of hate breeded glam". That....and I loathe the idea of explaining this to everyone....and as far as "Rap Rock" goes, I still listen to Anthrax and Public Enemy's "bring the noise" because that song is too damn cool to let go.

Metal is metal....regardless of whether the person is wearing a jean jacket (Dickinson), Infernal Cockpiece (blackie Lawless), or Can't Score...(uh....you figure that one out). "Punk" is identifiable. So is "Classical", "Rock", "Opera", "Lame" (Spin Doctors), etc etc etc.

But to mention...I got caught on that whole bitter Limp Bizkit thing. If Limp Bizkit did an album with Jimmy Dean and Vitamin C (that orange headed MTV chick) would they have to change their name to "Limp All Around Well Balanced Breakfast"?

Oh...and to avoid the incoming flames. I'm a metal guitarist. I am, by terms, a metalhead...none of that top 40 shit. LOL Ciao.

hey, faith's fiancee:
i agree. i can also feel reletively safe in saying that not ALL rap rock is crap rock- just 99.9999999999999 (you get the idea) 9999...% of it is. there are MAYBE one or two rap rock songs out there that don't deserve to be drug out into the street and shot. :) and i like that "limp all around well balanced breakfast" thing. amusing, amigo.
:lol:

Originally posted by jimbobhickville
I think the sub-genres are a mixed bag. When I'm trying to discover new bands, it is helpful to know the sub-genre they fall under in order to know what to expect. But, ironically, that is also the problem. I automatically discount some bands without even hearing them. If someone says black or death metal, I'll move along and find something else. It's not that I don't like any bands from those genres, but I don't like them generally. So they are both helpful and hurtful. I think musically narrow-minded are annoying. I used to think all non-metal music was crap until I actually realized how stupid I was. I'm not saying you have to like other music, but at least recognize that there are talented musicians in other genres. Or keep denying it and live on in your little dream world.

Later.
how very very true. it's confuzling, isn't it? i've noticed myself falling into that same trap. but i HAVE listened to other types of music, and i also know that metal is my music of choice, although i SING in a classical music choir which i dearly love.
so you're right.
my theory is that there are two mediums that can be altered in some subtle (or not so subtle) way to be understood by an appeal to everyone in the world: music and art. each employs emotion as the medium by which their message is conveyed; each one can be manipulated so that it can be understood by two people from the opposite ends of the earth.
so weither it's rap rock, cubism, metal, bach, surrealism, etc. its all music; it's all art. you don't have to like it, but it's there.