Non Metal Leanings

poundingmetal74

Demons Will Fly
Oct 18, 2004
Canada, eh
www.finalstage.ca
I'm curious to know what do you guys (and gals) listen to in your "metal down time" - rather, what do you listen to outside of metal?

Personally, Every now and again I love breaking into classic Jazz and blues and listening to a lot of the stuff from the 1930s - 60s. A lot of soul and brilliant musicianship in that music.

Thanks to my bass playing turning me onto Matt Dusk, I can't get enough of his music (basically, he's the modern Canadian Sinatra - great band and voice).

Finally, Symphonic Music is another type of music that gets a lot of spins. I dig a lot of the 80s and 90s video game music (such as Final Fantasy) that was just brilliantly composed. Film scores and such are always fun and typically very powerful music. Perfectly suited for metal fans. :headbang:

When I need some down-time after listening to metal I put on AC/DC so I can just chill out and relax.

as for non-metal leanings, I listen to tons of that stuff. Softest artists I listen to are Neil Young (probably my fave artist of all-time) and Regina Spektor (mostly piano ballads, although they're enthrallingly quirky).

If i'm not banging/thrashing/jumping up and down :Smokin: i listen to bands:kickass: , for the not knowing:err: , "The Radiators" songs like "I Wish I Was 17 Again"
and "Give Me Head Baby":devil: :Shedevil: :Smokedev:

I also listen to Skitz Mix :kickass: :hotjump: and Skits Mix METAL..:headbang: :headbang: All origonal songs.:devil:

cheers:kickass: maiden1:Smokedev:

Outside of metal and hair metal (some people here don't consider it metal), I'll usually listen to new wave and 80s pop. I dig Duran Duran, Billy Idol, Bruce Springsteen, and a couple other bands.

I don't understand the "metal down time" concept :lol: but for me will be classic progressive rock, a bit of jazz, some classic music.

Seriously...

bluegrass -- love the old stuff & newgrass... I could listen to Alison Krauss all day

classic rock -- digging deeper then the classic rock radio staples

jazz & funk -- was listening to some Miles Davis & Sun Ra last night

classical & avant-garde -- Arvo Part recently

"post-rock"

surf -- Dick Dale can still shread at 70 years old

blues

etc

I listen to the Blues, Reggae, Grunge, 80's rap, old country music, classic rock, Punk, and more Blues, Mainly the kinda underground stuff like John Lee Hooker, John Hyatt, Robert Johnson.
I'm actually planning on starting a blues band to cover some blues and maybe write some of my own, I can't play the blues for shit but I can damn well sing some of it.

All my friends have their non-metal faves, and they're extremely varied...

For me, I dig Blues (Bob Cray, Smokin' Joe Kubek, Taj Mahal, Buddy Guy, etc., etc.)

Other oddball personal favorites: Bob Plant (that's to be expected), O'2L (Al & Jane Pitrelli), Melissa Etheridge, Jon Butcher, Neil Diamond (early stuff), Bruce Willis (Bruno)...

That's an embarrassing enough list, I guess...

Rock on!

I still listen to guitar oriented music when I'm not crankin' up the metal. Here's a quickie list off the top of my head:

Frank Zappa
Freak Kitchen (still metal, but defies any genre label)
Mike Keneally
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Rory Gallagher
Jimi hendrix
Eric Johnson
Steve Morse
Dixie Dregs
Christopher Parkening (classical)
Ron Thal (aka Bumblefoot)
Andy Timmons (solo stuff, not Danger Danger)
Lonnie Mack
AC/DC

And my closet addiction to Southern Rock:

Molly Hatchet
Lynyrd Skynyrd
some Allman Brothers
Doc Holliday
38 Special
Blackfoot

Pretty much just classic rock, soft rock, and pop stuff from the 70's and 80's, as well as old Mtv and 1-hit-wonder type stuff. Grew up on this shit...

Steely Dan
Zeppelin
Foreigner
Ambrosia
Firefall
Journey
Bowie
Yes
Kansas
Boston

OK, The only and I mean Only time I don't listen to Metal Is when i'm feeling ol'..der:lol: so then i will listen to ol Rockers like "SHOWADDY WADDY":headbang: true Rockers.
The first band to have two:headbang: :headbang: of everything-Guitars/Bass/Drums and Vocals:headbang: A band from the past:kickass:

cheers :kickass: maiden1

And my closet addiction to Southern Rock:

Molly Hatchet
Lynyrd Skynyrd
some Allman Brothers
Doc Holliday
38 Special
Blackfoot

J-Dub..... just for you, I will mix you a Brother Cane's Greatest hit's release. Though they hail from Birmingham Alabama, I wouldn't label them "exactly" Southern Rock as some songs definitely have different influences than Southern Rock, much of there stuff is heavily influenced from Southern Rock.
Their former lead vocalist/lead guitarist, Damon Johnson is no slouch in the music business. He was Alice Cooper's guitarist on his last tour and he has even released an album with Queensryche's drummer... whose name I can't seem to be able to spell at the time. I think you will dig the Brother Cane.

Bryant

As far as what I listen to...... the main reason I listen to metal is simply because I like more of it than other styles of music. My favorite non-metal music varies greatly. I don't like rap (except really old RUN-DMC) and don't "get" much jazz except Sade which barely qualifies as jazz anyway.

Classical...... Russian composers, like Rimsky-Korsakov. Love the dark Russian style of composing.

Top 40.... Goos... Fuel (with old singer) Jet... not too many modern ones really.

Country.... Brooks and Dunn, can't think of any other, though I like some folk disguised as country like Jonny Cash.

Classic Rock.... Boston was a God (RIP Brad) Styx, Led zep, Kiss, Rainbow etc.

Southern Rock.... Brother Cane, Blackfoot etc.

progressive rock.... Sieges Even (one of my fave bands period) Yes, Rush.

I also like some 70's R&B. Stevie Wonder was one of the best songwriters who ever lived.

The later experimental Beatles and later fat Elvis also ruled !!

Bryant

King Crimson, Beatles, Elvis, The Cure, Depeche Mode, Enigma, 70's rock and funk, Disco, Big band, jazz (love sax based stuff) and a lot of classic rock.

Didn't know you dug the Beatles and Elvis. Sometimes popular music is pop because of culture, but sometimes popular music is popular because it kicks ass. Everyone has their own tastes, but I don't think Elvis was overrated much. The man was one of the best vocalists that ever lived. The Beatles........ their late stuff like Sgt. Peppers and THe WHite ALbum etc........... awesome !!

Bryant