so what new (or old!) bands did you 'discover' in 2007?

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
What bands made their presence known to you in 2007? They do Not necessarily have to be 'new' bands, but simply any band that you weren't previously into but discovered this past year?

My greatest finds this year:

UFO. I've had a 'best of' for many years but rarely listened to it. However, I was urged to give it another try and was immediately hooked. And in addition to their classic Schenker era, their recent output since 1995 has been stellar! Great, great band.

Devin Townsend. Our own Electric Wyz turned me on to Devin...and I owe many thanks! His solo work is highly emotional, progressive in the truest sense, and very moving. I did not, however, like any of this other, non-solo stuff.

King's X. I hated the one or two videos I remember from back in the 80s. And, today, I'm not sure why. This trio is amazing....very groove-driven with a Beatles-esque flair. An extensive catalog with really no bad albums.

Richie Kotzen. This guitarist has surfed the musical map doing everything from Shrapnel label guitar shred, to replacing CC Deville in Poison, to jamming with jazz legends on fusion albums, to replacing Paul Gilbert in Mr Big, etc. But his best work, IMO, is his mid 90s+ solo records, which are very blues-funk rock records similar to what Glenn Hughes currently does. And, to top if off, Kotzen has an amazing voice which is similar to Chris Cornell.

Redemption. Great modern prog-metal with an emphasis on songwriting as opposed to shredding....and Rey Alder finally puts down some vocals I can tolerate!

Zakk Wylde / Black Label. Although his BLS records can be a bit one-dimensional, he usually delivers the goods. very heavy stuff....much better than anything he's ever done with Ozzy. But I guess I should have expected that.

The Cult. Similarly to UFO, I had their "best of" but didn't care much for it. As always, 'best ofs' dont necessarily yield a band's best songs! Their most recent album is a barnstormer and is what turmed me on to their back catlog. Great stuff, indeed. And I love the fact that each record is quite different from the preceding album. Ballsy...

I'm surely leaving something off this list...it was a very good year for discovering music!!! :kickass:

Some of the albums that were new to me in 2007...
Zakk Wylde's Book of Shadows - fucking execellent album.
Ritchie Kotzen - Bi-Polar Blues - I knew he could sing, but blues suits him well..
David Allan Coe - COE (Live)- this guy delivers live, this is a raw and undoctored live album, as they should all be.
As you know I rediscovered in 2007 Deep Purple - Burn - what an album.
I can listen to that all the time and anytime!!!!!
SIXX: AM - Nikki's side project who scored the soundtrack to his book The Herion Diaries... Unbelieveable album.
Mountain - Masters of War - Leslie West has become one of my favorites over the last two years... This is a covers album of Bob Dylan songs and it's essential listening, topped my list in 2007.
Steve Earle - Copperhead Road - A nice blend of southern rock and outlaw country though this was marketed as a country album when it was released oh so many years ago. Worth every penny you pay for it and then some...
Heaven and Hell errrrr... Black Sabbath! Despite them over looking the Northwest on their tour I rediscovered the music and I can't wait for new music from these guys...
Jorn Lande - Live In The USA - He's become one of my favorite singers this guy, probably the best singer no-one knows about this side of David Coverdal and Glenn Hughes!
Ministry I love Ministry, I can't get enough of their last three records!!!
And Hank III I became a hardcore fan...
The list goes on and on...

Heaven and Hell - forced me to discover Dehumanizer (brilliant album)
Sortilege - My find of the year
Recon - Christian metal Queensryche. AWESOME stuff.
Lord - Great power metal
Threshold - Never cared for them until they released Dead Reckoning.
Fates Warning - was never much of a fan beyond a few songs until this year.
Stohl-n - Ex-damien guitarist. Great stuff. Dio-era sabbath meets Yngwie.
Black Tide - the new wave of Old School metal.
The Cult - Like SoundMaster, I had never really cared for them beyond a few songs. All changed when I saw them live.
Sanvoisen - Great, great band.
Victim - Texas Melodic Thrash.
Dionysus - Had never bothered to check into these guys.

Nice thread, based on my actual purchases (I may known the band before but never got the albums):

Final Stage = heavy metal from Canada
Project Creation = progressive/ambient/power from Brazil
Twinspirits = prog power from Italy
Darkwater = progressive metal from Sweden
Brain Surgeons NYC = heavy metal from USA
Omen = power metal from USA
Phantom-X = power metal from USA
Lion's Share = power metal fron Denmark
Road To Ruin = hard rock from Denmark
Evil Masquerade = melodic metal from Denmark
Fueled By Fire = thrash from USA
Evile = thrash from England
Concept Of God = proggy doom from USA
Hirax = trash/crossover from USA
Amaran's Plight = prog/hard rock from USA
LoNero = guitarcore (?) from USA, actually is shred/prog rock
Scale The Summit = instrumental progressive metal from USA
Cypher Seer = power metal from USA/Brazil
Crescent Shield = power metal from USA
Loudness = heavy metal from Japan
Hellhound = heavy metal from Japan
Heavy Load = power rock from Sweden
Miles Beyond = power metal from USA
Poisonblack = goth metal from Finland
Ostrogoth = power metal from Belgium
Hawaii = power/shred from USA
Mekong Delta = thrash from Germany
Toxik = thrash from USA
Atrophy = thrash from USA
Xentrix = trhash from England
Zoser Mez = heavy metal from Denmark
Titanium Black = hard rock from USA
Creozoth = heavy metal from Sweden
Count Raven = doom metal from Sweden
Jezabel = power metal from Argentina
Forté = thrash metal from USA

I may be forgettin something or put something from 2006, I have to cut down on purchases is getting me confused.

Steve Earle - Copperhead Road - A nice blend of southern rock and outlaw country though this was marketed as a country album when it was released oh so many years ago. Worth every penny you pay for it and then some...

:headbang:
One of my all time favorite albums of any genre. 'Guitar Town', 'Exit 0' & 'The Hard Way' are also excellent albums. This guy could do no wrong in my eyes, are far as his music not his lifestyle, for years.

Sixx, you ever heard Reckless Kelly? Another one of my fave Country Rock/Americana bands. 'Under The Table & Above The Sun' is my fave RK album. Go here to hear some samples, if you don't already know these guys:
http://www.recklesskelly.com/tunes.htm

Megadeth - Had a couple of things for years, but just connected with them this year, and went out and got everything. Now they are one of my BIG personal faves.

UFO - Like you SM, I had a couple of things for years, but again, just put the right record on at the right time this year, and BANG. Now I've got just about everything. I spent A LOT of time listening to UFO this year.

Those were the biggies for me.

Symphony X
Nile
Sodom
Testament

Seeing as I wasn't born in the times when most of my favourite bands were at their height of fame/success I've got a lot of stuff to buy that came out ages ago.

Brian Setzer Orchestra - I know of Stray Cats from the old days, but my buddy Dean turned me onto BSO, and I'm in heaven. Big Band swing meets rockabilly. Neither genres are anywhere near my faves, but together (with Setzer's awesome guitar licks) they tickle my fancy for some reason.

Amaran's Plight - Probably a one-off album of superstars, but still a great new discovery, single as it is.

Final Stage - First heard them last year with an EP, but the new full-length debut album is a solid slice of old school metal and has dominated my playlist lately. And Brandon got the album in just in time to qualify for 2007 lists!

Trouble - Rediscovered, actually. Listened to them way back in the early 80s, but hadn't given them much thought till I bought a few re-issues and ranked their new album Simple Mind Condition in my top-5 this year.

Steve Grimmet Band - I know Grim Reaper very well, but had no idea their chubby lead singer was still around until a Garmin commercial at last year's Super Bowl. That led me to his new solo album Personal Crisis, which is still on the frequent playlist today.

Brian Setzer Orchestra - I know of Stray Cats from the old days, but my buddy Dean turned me onto BSO, and I'm in heaven. Big Band swing meets rockabilly. Neither genres are anywhere near my faves, but together (with Setzer's awesome guitar licks) they tickle my fancy for some reason.

Brian's da man... i loved the Stray Cats as well... For those who discovered UFO might want to get Michael Schenker Group albums...

As for me I discovered more Black Metal bands as well as Death metal:

BloodBath - Death Metal supergroup
Deathspell Omega - Experimental Black metal
Rotting Christ - Black metal with other influences
November's Doom - Doom/Death metal
Belphegor - Black/Death metal
Sargeist - Black metal ala Darkthrone but better imo

Can't remember what others but that is my list for now...

Did the Schenker stuff, with thanks back to Soundmaster for that. Good, but not amazing. I have to say too, that I identify Phil Mogg much more as the center of UFO, and so disagree with those who say the "real" band died when Schenker left. Not that you said as much UM, but after reading that argument so many times, well, like I say, I think Phil is the heart of it. I so love his voice. That being said, there are few things more enjoyable than when they just cut the boy loose (MS) in the middle of a song, ala Rock Bottom, or a bunch of the stuff on Strangers in the Night. Freaking great.

Sortilege - My find of the year
You have found brilliance! I also discovered them this year along with Vulcain.

Some other bands I discovered this year:

Manticora - prog power from Denmark
Pharaoh - American Prog power
Jacob's Dream - Christian metal band
Cea Serin (definitely MY find of the year)- beautiful progressive
Eyefear - Australian progressive metal band

The year was a blur..
umm, I mainly re-discovered bands that I'd kinda stopped listening to, Megadeth was one of them, still loving UA and it sent me back to get Countdown to Extinction.

Iron Savior - Unification (I forgot all about these guys and this album slays)

I got given a German compilation (remedy records?)which has drawn my attention to some bands that've been going for ages that I really need to catch up on:
Paragon - Impaler
Dark Age - Dare to Collapse
Stormwarrior - (dont recall the name)
Twisted Tower Dire - To Be a Champion
are the names that've caught my attention, each of those songs are absolutely awesome in their own rights but whether I can scrape up the cash to invest in any remains to be seen. Between seeing Iron Maiden & WASP live I'll be forking out a guestimate of about $800! Gonna be a dream year though:headbang:

Overall, I think its safe to say my love for power/speed metal is alive and well.

Volbeat - By all aspects, I should despise these guys, but I don't. As a matter of fact, I went through great lengths to get their 2 cds, and like them even more now. Looking forward to seeing them at the US Prog Power show..... :headbang:

Agua de Annique [New band of Anneke of the Gathering]
Alchemist [Australian metal with prog influences]
Blotted Science [Ron Jarzombeck and Alex Webster from Cannibal Corpse]
Bonded By Blood [THRASH from LA!!]
Daath [Black Metal with Industrial influences]
Divine Heresy [New industrial project from Dino Cazares]
Evile [Damn good thrash band]
Novembers Doom [Fantastic band!!]
Omnium Gatherum [Very good death metal band]
Pathosray [Fantastic Italian Prog-Metal]
Sacred Oath [ Very good old school metal]
Suspyre [Great prog-metal band]
Volbeat [Some great rock/metal songs!]

As for me I discovered more Black Metal bands as well as Death metal:

snip!
November's Doom - Doom/Death metal

Yea Novembers Doom have very fast become one of my favorites!

Some other bands I discovered this year:

Cea Serin (definitely MY find of the year)- beautiful progressive

O man, that album is great. It has so much atmosphere and many moods.
I love Cea Serin. I hope J. Lamm will write some new music soon.

Volbeat - By all aspects, I should despise these guys, but I don't. As a matter of fact, I went through great lengths to get their 2 cds, and like them even more now. Looking forward to seeing them at the US Prog Power show.....

Yea they are great. I saw them live at graspop in Belgium and they were great! I play them all the time at the Dynamo club.

discovered in 2007:
Blind Illusion
Rainbow
Sadus
Spiral Architect
Unorthodox
The Sword
Omen
Dixie Witch
Epidemic
Grand Funk
WithinY
Hank3 (not my cup of tea)
Forced Entry
Sepultura
Nihilist
Cathedral
+ a few more.

renewed my intrest in:
Death
Van Halen
Led Zeppelin
Aerosmith
Jimmi Hendrex
Pink Floyd
Deep Purple

I have to add:

Zoetrope = speed thrash from USA
Znöwhite = thrash from USA
Acid = speed/thrash from Belgium
Beyond The Labyrinth = progressive metal from Belgium
Irish Coffee = hard rock from Belgium
Isopoda = progressive rock from Belgium
Turbo = heavy metal from Poland (they use to be thrash but changed towards their last album)
Obstruction = heavy metal from Hungary