How did you discover Nightwish?

Bringing back some topics from the old forum...

Discuss here how you first heard Nightwish, what made you a fan, the first song/album you ever heard, so on and so forth.

For me, I first heard of Nightwish back in '01 when I started visiting the Stratovarius forum. I noticed every time anyone would come to the forum and ask the fans to suggest new music to them, time and time again the name "Nightwish" was brought up. This was back before I knew how to download music, so I did not have an instantaneous way to check them out. Eventually, a few months later, in July of '01, I was at one of my favorite metal shops in San Diego, and noticed a copy of Angels Fall First and Over the Hills and Far Away being sold. Since I only had enough money to buy one, and since Over the Hills looked to be an EP, I bought Angels Fall First because it was a full-length album. I had never heard a single note of their music, but it was one of the best impulse buys I had ever made!
horns.gif

Now everyone else, post your stories!

My Nightwish discovery story is well known, but here it is:

In the late 90's, i was (and still am to this day) on an email list called Thelema93. It discusses various aspects of Thelema, Crowley, the politics of the various OTO organizations, and things of that nature. Well they were discussing the thelemic merits of a band called Therion, and this intrigued me. I went to Napster in search of this band they were discussing, and as i was downloading Theli (one of their albums), i decided to browse the files of the user that was sending it to me. On the file list i saw a band by the name of Nighwish. This name sounded kind of cool to a young Tramz, so i downloaded what was there: Angels Fall First. The rest, is history.

My interest in the band continued to grow with each album. I remember the concern that there might not be another album after Wishmaster, and when Century Child came out, i was thrilled. And then i put this album on. I guess you could say it changed my life, because by the time it was done, it had taken my already considerable appreciation for the band and turned me into a very die-hard fan.

It was more the vibe of the music overall that initially attracted me more than individual songs. On AFF it was more of a certain fascination with this new kind of sound, though of course Elvenpath certainly stood out. From Oceanborn, Sleeping Sun became a fast favorite. I think that song had alot to do with continuing my early appreciation, though Gethsemane also didn't hurt. For Wishmaster, it's so hard to pick out one or two songs that really identify what did it for me. Without a doubt "She Is My Sin" became as important to progressing my appreciation as Sleeping Sun had, but Wishmaster, FantasMic, Deep Silent Complete, Dead Boy's Poem, etc.. all so amazing. On CC, as i've said countless times before, the opening notes of Bless The Child just had an electric effect on me. So Bless The Child was important, but so was End of All Hope, Dead To The World, Slaying The Dreamer, and basically the entire album down the line.

Anyway, it's interesting to me that the sheer luck of the draw brought me to Nightwish. Had the person i was leeching Therion from not had any Nightwish, i may not have ever been exposed to them (luckily i am the stubborn determined type, if they had simply logged off, i would have searched for them elsewhere). Or at least not until years later when my knowledge of metal increased to the point where i was bound to hear of them. But as i would have approached them differently, and at a different time in my life, i most certainly would not be here today.

My friend J came to visit and brought a huge binder of disks. He commandeered my computer and put on several of his mp3s including Nightwish's She is My Sin, Stars and Soul into Hades from Lacuna Coil and Missing Time from KMFDM/MDFMK. At the time, I thought I hated metal. I just hated *bad* metal, it turns out.

I discovered them watching the video 'sacrament of wilderness' and I keep listening to them (even if Tarja's not there anymore). Great band!

saw the cover for wishmaster scanned the bar to hear a sample and i loved and i ended up buying all the cds in one day! back in 03 and when the new cd comes out ill be buying it casue i love the new singers voice

Well...

Back in 2004 I was reading Kerrang! because I wanted to see a review of the Muse gig I'd been to with my sister and I skimmed the review section where I read a review of 'Once'. It all started from there, I suppose.
I had some spare money so next time I was in HMV looking for something to buy I bought 'Tales from the Elvenpath' ( which was disgustingly overpriced I might add!) thinking I'll get a best of and see what I think. Within one verse I had said the following

a) Holy Crap, who writes the songs? These are amazing!
b) She's got an stunning voice
c) I'm going to have to buy more albums

Let's just say I never looked back!

I've been a long time lurker on your other boards and even managed to see them at Hammersmith Apollo before Tarja got the boot . Absolutely cannot wait to finally hear DPP at long last!

Well...

Back in 2004 I was reading Kerrang! because I wanted to see a review of the Muse gig I'd been to with my sister and I skimmed the review section where I read a review of 'Once'. It all started from there, I suppose.
I had some spare money so next time I was in HMV looking for something to buy I bought 'Tales from the Elvenpath' ( which was disgustingly overpriced I might add!) thinking I'll get a best of and see what I think. Within one verse I had said the following

a) Holy Crap, who writes the songs? These are amazing!
b) She's got an stunning voice
c) I'm going to have to buy more albums

Let's just say I never looked back!

I've been a long time lurker on your other boards and even managed to see them at Hammersmith Apollo before Tarja got the boot . Absolutely cannot wait to finally hear DPP at long last!

Welcome to the land of the posting. We're glad to have you aboard. :]

I've actually thought Tales From The Elvenpath served as a pretty good starter/introduction. Sure, for my personal taste i might replace a few songs, but it covers most of the cornerstones (except, how can an album called Tales From The Elvenpath not have Elvenpath? That is such a major cornerstone of their catalog of music).

Ironically, Drakkar could not include Elvenpath on Tales From The Elvenpath -compilation since they never bought a licence to release Angels Fall First. But it didn't stop them from taking advance of the songtitle... [/offtopic]

i actually heard about them on the emilie autumn forum...
and i listened to them...
and then loved them
:)

i just found this board too, i didnt know it was on this site

edit: but from looking around its a new addition to UM
and most people here seem to know each other, but i'm sure that theyre will be some newcomers now that its on UM

shes this amazing violinist who mixes classical/baroque music with industrial/gothic music. I didnt think i would like it because of the industrial/gothic part but i actually like it a lot. shes wonderfully original with the violin and draws a lot of her musical inspiration from shakespeare and the victorian era. On her forum people had a Nightwish thread in the Other music part, thats how i found Nightwish.

That sounds like an interesting combination. Heh by your description, she sounds like she is pretty much the opposite of a Vanessa Mae style violinist. Either way, welcome to the OSA. It's always cool to see new faces. :]

i actually heard about them on the emilie autumn forum...
and i listened to them...
and then loved them
:)

i just found this board too, i didnt know it was on this site

edit: but from looking around its a new addition to UM
and most people here seem to know each other, but i'm sure that theyre will be some newcomers now that its on UM

emilie autumn :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: and tramz im sure that i must of sent you some EA a long time ago but you probly never got around ot listing to it or deleted the song

emilie autumn :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: and tramz im sure that i must of sent you some EA a long time ago but you probly never got around ot listing to it or deleted the song

yay another EA fan! lol i dont ever come across those, but maybe it'll be more common now that she's gaining a bigger audience

hey there..:kickass:
just made it to the forum..as a newbee..(@hey ice dog..good idea...:lol: :lol:)
I´m with NW since I watched there first concert in Dec. 97 in Kitee.!!!!
Straight from a business meeting into the world of rockin´ and drinkin´finns..
:headbang: :headbang: and NW...yeppppp....never ever heard sound like that before...!
soooo---fan since ´97.. !!!:kickass: :kickass:

I think I remember you from Nightwish forum, Metal Grandpa!

I believe you had a different name, but I do remember a fan coming in saying they had been a fan since their first concert in Kitee. Your post stood out because there was a rather childish argument over what constituted a "real" Nightwish fan, and people kept getting rather standoffish with their, "well, I've been a fan for this long", etc. I think your post kinda put everything back into perspective!
LOL2.gif

Welcome to our little Nightwish community and we hope you enjoy it here!
waveyfrood.gif

Reactions: Power Plant records