What non-metal classic rock bands do you think did "metal" songs?

ChemicalWarfare84

Lightning to the Nations
Apr 9, 2021
So, as we know, there are a bunch of songs that - while not necessarily metal - could be considered metal, so I'm curious: what classic rock bands not normally known for doing metal do you think did "metal" songs? For me, one example that comes to mind is Foghat, with their 1974 rendition of "Honey Hush":

Their live version from their 1977 live album kicks up the speed, too:

One of the only few bands that immediately comes to mind is King Crimson, if you consider them "classic rock."

Most of the stuff through the 70s had some real proto-metal vibes, especially the stuff on Larks Tongues in Aspic and Red. "Larks Pt.2" almost feels like the first progressive metal song, and "Fallen Angel" is probably one of my immediate thoughts of an early rock band doing metal before metal even existed outside of the obvious Sabbath canon.

I think my boyfriend once said that the Beatles song "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" was a little bit similar to doom metal.

I am not sure, because I am not familiar with that genre, but maybe?
I think I can see what he means.

Listen to the Coroner rendition and that will add to the idea. Coroner is the best technical thrash band ever, but this version surely have a doom vibe.

Nice call.

So, as we know, there are a bunch of songs that - while not necessarily metal - could be considered metal, so I'm curious: what classic rock bands not normally known for doing metal do you think did "metal" songs?

Define classic rock.

Because for me the line between "70's rock" and "70's metal" is blurry as hell, Except for the blockheads at M-A, AC/DC, Blue Oyster Cult, Nazareth, Praying Mantis are "into it" as Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy.

The Beatles made the first metal track:

Actually, I believe the honor belongs to Bitter Creek with "Plastic Thunder":

Define classic rock.

Because for me the line between "70's rock" and "70's metal" is blurry as hell, Except for the blockheads at M-A, AC/DC, Blue Oyster Cult, Nazareth, Praying Mantis are "into it" as Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy.

To me, "classic rock" typically encompasses rock from the 60s-80s, which may be a bit ironic nowadays because a couple of classic rock stations in my region play stuff by Nirvana and the Foo Fighters, among others.

Reactions: Wyvern
To me, "classic rock" typically encompasses rock from the 60s-80s, which may be a bit ironic nowadays because a couple of classic rock stations in my region play stuff by Nirvana and the Foo Fighters, among others.

Yeah, I've seen that phenomena around here too.

I never listen to radio as it is anymore, but I do enjoy Internet radio stations at work.

To me classic rock is usually 70's and before. But I guess it all depends on your age. I still refer to 90's music as the new stuff :tickled:

Ooh that is cool, thanks for the tip.

My pleasure.

Now, if you ever want to get familiar with doom metal, the start is Black Sabbath.

"Classic" known doom bands include: Witchfinder General, Candlemass, Cathedral, The Obsessed, Saint Vitus.

A sub-genre I like a lot, but I don't dwell on certain derivations as sludge, drone, funeral.