Down, Birmingham Academy 23/05/06

Yes, very. In good humour, not rambling incoherently, wasn't drinking (not on stage, at least - someone passed him a bottle of beer, he shook his head and gave it back), and not that he has ever failed to deliver vocally, but, dammit, he can really, really sing. It was the gig everyone hoped it would be. And then some!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

evil_pete said:
Yes, very. In good humour, not rambling incoherently, wasn't drinking (not on stage, at least - someone passed him a bottle of beer, he shook his head and gave it back), and not that he has ever failed to deliver vocally, but, dammit, he can really, really sing. It was the gig everyone hoped it would be. And then some!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Can't argue that. The guy can sing. Is he clean and sober now?

sorry to hijack the thread but a quick question for steve.
Are you going to play on the South American dates with Sepultura?
and btw sepultura and nevermore should tour US sometime, with of course nevermore headlining. Jeff and you should give andreas kisser a copy of arise and beneath the remains along with a guitar lesson so he can remember how he is suppossed to sound like:lol:

Devy_Metal said:
i hate down and i think phil anselmo is a pile of shit. pantera sucked, by the way.

Thanks for your well thought out and much considered opinion.
I disagree with you, obviously, but there you go. To each his own.
I still think they were marvellous, and I went and you didn't, so at least I have a vague idea what I'm on about.

evil_pete said:
Thanks for your well thought out and much considered opinion.
I disagree with you, obviously, but there you go. To each his own.
I still think they were marvellous, and I went and you didn't, so at least I have a vague idea what I'm on about.

Not a problem. I hope you had fun watching a drunken, drugged out pretentious, full of himself Kyle Thomas wannabe mumbling into a microphone.

And since when can Anselmo sing? Can someone please tell me? I've always had a problem with people going on about what a great singer he is. Someone once said he had a better voice than Mikael Akerfeldt. Hahaha! I thought Warrel Dane and Daniel Heiman could sing. Just because he's from the south and has "Gravel" doesn't mean he can sing well. Sorry to be so rude here, but I seriously HATE that guy and I HATE every single band he has ever been a part of. Pantera, Down, Superjoint Ritual, Viking Crown etc...It's just such utterly mediocre crap. I think he is the biggest wannabe in the history of metal and the most over rated front man ever.

Devy_Metal said:
Not a problem. I hope you had fun watching a drunken, drugged out pretentious, full of himself Kyle Thomas wannabe mumbling into a microphone.
If you'd read my reply to the first question Ms. A asked, you may have noticed it said about Anselmo not drinking or appearing strung out/high. Pretentious...hmm...he's a singer, it comes with the territory, I'm afraid. They're pretty much all like it, one way or another. And that's why they're onstage and we're not. Who's Kyle Thomas?

And since when can Anselmo sing? Can someone please tell me?I've always had a problem with people going on about what a great singer he is.
As it goes, when he chooses to sing, he really can. Pick up a copy of Pantera's 'Power Metal' LP (the one before 'Cowboys From Hell') and give it a spin. You may not like the songs, but you won't be able to deny the technical ability of his vocals. For examples of superclean vocals, get hold of some Southern Isolation.

Someone once said he had a better voice than Mikael Akerfeldt. Hahaha! I thought Warrel Dane and Daniel Heiman could sing.
They can, of course they can. And, as I've said, when Anselmo chooses to sing, he can as well. It's all relative to the band he's in at the time - Down material demands a certain style of vocals, different from Pantera and different from SJR. Comparing vocalists is along the same lines as comparing guitarists - completely subjective and largely pointless.

Just because he's from the south and has "Gravel" doesn't mean he can sing well.
But he wasn't doing the "gravelly" voice all night when I saw Down two weeks ago. That was also touched on in my reply to Ms. A.

Sorry to be so rude here, but I seriously HATE that guy and I HATE every single band he has ever been a part of..
You're not being rude, far from it (at least, not in this post). I'm not going to try and change your opinion, but to say that Anselmo and everything he's been a part of is "a pile of shit" is far off the mark. Oh, and 'HATE' in big capital letters can sometimes gives the reader the impression you're jealous. And when we met at the Nevermorons gig at Nottingham, you struck me as someone who could be a little more articulate than 'HATE' and 'pile of shit'.

Pantera, Down, Superjoint Ritual, Viking Crown etc...It's just such utterly mediocre crap.
Now I am gonna disagree with you on this 100%. There's more to any of those bands than just the singer. OK, VC's not going to be to everyone's taste, it's not meant to be. I happen to like it, partly because of the way it's all been done and the bloody-minded approach behind it, but there you go. And, for a lot of people, me and a fair number of people on this board, I'd wager, included, Pantera didn't 'suck'.

I think he is the biggest wannabe in the history of metal and the most over rated front man ever.
Hmmm....toured the world umpteen times over, sold several squillion albums - not exactly the mark of a struggling 'wannabe' singer, I reckon. Overrated - nah, I've seen Pantera shows where he held the audience's attention all the way through the gig, and made it enjoyable - what else is a frontman supposed to do?

evil_pete said:
If you'd read my reply to the first question Ms. A asked, you may have noticed it said about Anselmo not drinking or appearing strung out/high. Pretentious...hmm...he's a singer, it comes with the territory, I'm afraid. They're pretty much all like it, one way or another. And that's why they're onstage and we're not. Who's Kyle Thomas?

I wasnt implying he was drunk at your gig...rather that he just has made that reputation for himself. It's fair-game. BTW Kyle Thomas is the/was the lead singer for Exhorder...the band Pantera ripped off and Thomas was the frontman that Amselmo decided to immitate.

As it goes, when he chooses to sing, he really can. Pick up a copy of Pantera's 'Power Metal' LP (the one before 'Cowboys From Hell') and give it a spin. You may not like the songs, but you won't be able to deny the technical ability of his vocals. For examples of superclean vocals, get hold of some Southern Isolation.

Ive had their entire back catolgue for years and I dont like the vocals even then.

They can, of course they can. And, as I've said, when Anselmo chooses to sing, he can as well. It's all relative to the band he's in at the time - Down material demands a certain style of vocals, different from Pantera and different from SJR. Comparing vocalists is along the same lines as comparing guitarists - completely subjective and largely pointless.

I understand, but Im saying that when someone like Mikael Akerfeldt opens his mouth and forces his vocal chords to make noise, it's simply more pleasing to the ear than Anselmo, if we're talking about actual singing ala clean vocals.

But he wasn't doing the "gravelly" voice all night when I saw Down two weeks ago. That was also touched on in my reply to Ms. A.

Was it? Where?

You're not being rude, far from it (at least, not in this post). I'm not going to try and change your opinion, but to say that Anselmo and everything he's been a part of is "a pile of shit" is far off the mark. Oh, and 'HATE' in big capital letters can sometimes gives the reader the impression you're jealous. And when we met at the Nevermorons gig at Nottingham, you struck me as someone who could be a little more articulate than 'HATE' and 'pile of shit'.

I met you at the Nottingham gig? Are you the kid who I was talking about Arcturus with? And, no, I'm not jealous of Phil Anselmo. The man is a heroin addict.

Now I am gonna disagree with you on this 100%. There's more to any of those bands than just the singer. OK, VC's not going to be to everyone's taste, it's not meant to be. I happen to like it, partly because of the way it's all been done and the bloody-minded approach behind it, but there you go. And, for a lot of people, me and a fair number of people on this board, I'd wager, included, Pantera didn't 'suck'.

Not that it matters, but for kicks I think you should search Pantera in the GMD section and see people's opinions. You might be surprised.

Hmmm....toured the world umpteen times over, sold several squillion albums - not exactly the mark of a struggling 'wannabe' singer, I reckon. Overrated - nah, I've seen Pantera shows where he held the audience's attention all the way through the gig, and made it enjoyable - what else is a frontman supposed to do?
[/quote]

Well, everytime I saw Pantera Phil was drunk and it just ruined it and left a bad taste in my mouth.

In case you didnt know, I LOVE to argue with people so dont take any of my responses personally. I just like engage in debate, whether it's opinionated or factual. METAL!:headbang: