Dream Theater - Mike Portnoy + Mike Mangini = OMFG!

Jul 19, 2010
This is epic in the world of Dream Theater.

Mike Mangini has been announced as the new drummer for Dream Theater.

Discuss.

I'm so looking forward to seeing what DT + Mangini will be capable of. True, their last 4-5 albums have been ho-hum.

Meh, can't see why Dream Theater fans expect anything different in future albums than the ho-hum they have been getting since Train of Thought. The whole "Portney was ruining the band with his crappy metalcore influences" would have made sense if not for the fact that I am yet to see any evidences that he writes more than 1-2 songs per album. Unless they get rid of Petrucci too I can't see there be much changes to the crappy songwriting of Dream Theater.

My favorite part of this is that everyone called this forever ago, it's not even news.

Last good album was Train of Thought, although that was already leaning heavily into the metal sphere, and the keys have moved way too far towards being an auxiliary guitar and additional soloing source instead of providing a different songwriting angle or an atmospheric or prog element.

I'm interested to see what they come up with, but I think Mangini will be a yes man to the Petrucci Rudess show. I hope not however, cos if a band needed fresh blood it's DT.

I agree that the keys have moved more from the atmosphere/prog element in a solo/auxiliary spot. Good observation. I think Rudess is a genius, but he's no KevMo. I wish he'd lay back and provide atmosphere and darkness back into their writing. Yeah, he can play fast and all, but I want to hear powerful and dark fucking prog/metal.

I agree that the keys have moved more from the atmosphere/prog element in a solo/auxiliary spot. Good observation. I think Rudess is a genius, but he's no KevMo. I wish he'd lay back and provide atmosphere and darkness back into their writing. Yeah, he can play fast and all, but I want to hear powerful and dark fucking prog/metal.

Me too. I think that's what we all want from DT. With a real cheesefest ballad in there to keep things from getting too serious.
I loved The Count of Tuscany hahaha what a song!!

Meh, can't see why Dream Theater fans expect anything different in future albums than the ho-hum they have been getting since Train of Thought. The whole "Portney was ruining the band with his crappy metalcore influences" would have made sense if not for the fact that I am yet to see any evidences that he writes more than 1-2 songs per album. Unless they get rid of Petrucci too I can't see there be much changes to the crappy songwriting of Dream Theater.
Petrucci is a great songwriter and guitarist IMO. The vocals, the keyboards and the lyrics though, they are terrible. That's why I'm hoping for another Petrucci solo album or Liquid Tension Experiment (without Rudess please).

Yep, Dream Theater really needs some fresh blood in thier veins, but i think they started writing already before Mangini was brought in by the band so if upcoming album does still sound ho-hum dt songwritingwise, maybe the 2nd one w/ him would make his presense be truly heard. and Yep, Train of thought is the last album that really kept my interest.. but not impressed me since scenes froma memory.

Have to aggree with Alex here. If James LaBrie quit i think i would have listened to more Dream Theater. I think Mangini might put an extra edge to their music so i am looking forward to hearing the result.

I still think Metropolis Part II: Scenes From A Memory. Is there best. Such epic tracks & solos on there.

As far as Mangini goes...It's not really gonna change much IMO.