Dream Theater recommendations?

TheSanctumWaltz

The atheist,the infinite.
Jul 20, 2003
Miami fuckinn' Florida
Visit site
Hi! I've recently been listening to alot of progressive metal and prog-rock along the lines of King Crimson, Pain of Salvation, Porcupine Tree, Symphony-X, Vanden Plas, Pagan's Mind and such, and yet I've yet to hear enough from the band many consider to be the embodiment of the genre, Dream Theater. The only thing I've heard thus is a song called "Metropolis Part I: The Miracle and the Sleeper," and I think it's a fantastic song...could anyone please recommend any one of their albums to begin with? Thanks. :)

Dream Theater is extremely overrated and just... not that good (to you people who have sticks up your asses: no, I'm not saying they don't have talent). Their songs are stupidly structured and quite frankly, most of the time I find them to be rather bland.

Get some Ayreon instead. A way better band, IMO.

Dream Theater is extremely overrated and just... not that good (to you people who have sticks up your asses: no, I'm not saying they don't have talent). Their songs are stupidly structured and quite frankly, most of the time I find them to be rather bland.

Get some Ayreon instead. A way better band, IMO.

Yes, Ayreon is an excellent band, but unfortunately, that's not what the instigator of the thread requested. Try remaining on topic next time, ok? ;)

"Stupidly structured?" Okay, I can understand that. Indeed, the majority of their compositions are illogically-structured, which makes the very use of the term "composition" rather dubious in reference to their music. However, odd time-signatures and loose, peculiar structures are one of the fundamental elements that make the progressive rock/metal genre so interesting. Dream Theater are by no means pioneers of this trend, as it dates back (in rock) to Frank Zappa's earlier records. I take it you're not very fond of most jazz, are you?

Nonetheless, to recommend a Dream Theater recording would be considerably difficult, seing as every album they've released sounds completely divergent from the one that preceded it. If you're a fan of prog-metal in general, I would suggest "Images and Words" and "Scenes From a Memory." For simpler songs, try "Falling into Infinity." If you have a predilection for the heavier variety, try "Awake" or "Train of Thought." "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" can be described as an irregular amalgam of melodic and heavier inspirations, hence it's a bit hard to categorize. Their debut, "When Dream and Day Unite," was musically spellbinding, with horrendous vocals. They didn't evolve to that certain level of sonic brilliance until Labrie joined, so I would probably explore that one last.

Pfft, what's the fun in staying on topic?! At least I was civil about DT and was nice enough to recommend a better band for him to check out =P. And to answer your jazz question... it really depends on the style that they're playing. I don't mind some of the stuff the radio station plays when I'm in the car... but, I don't consider myself a fan AT ALL.

Dream Theater are one of my favorite bands! They're awesome, I'm seeing them live today. You should start out with Images & Words and go from there. Download Pull Me Under or Learning To Live, they're all as great as Metropolis. You might also want to get "Scenes From New York" since its triple CD and low-priced to boot.

Here's some other songs from them:

The Mirror
Dance of Eternity
Glass Prison
The Spirit Carries On
Space-Dye Vest
In the Name of God
Hollow Years
And the AMAZING "A Change of Seasons".

Dream Theater should have way more excellent albums out. Sadly, they really only have one.

Scenes From A Memory is (in my opinion) their best. It's a theme-and-variations piece, and too many people don't notice this. It's technical, but not overly so. And it's technical in a good way (The Dance of Eternity). In some parts (the opening of Home), it's surprisingly heavy. The album's story (which is one of the best stories ever to grace a concept album) is incredibly cohesive, despite having all 5 band members take on the task of constructing the songs, and writing the lyrics.

The rest of their discography is...well, let me explain.

I love Images and Words. I do. But, when all is said and done, there's an awful lot of wankery in it (not technicality). And it sounds incredibly dated.

When Dream and Day Unite has some good songs (The Killing Hand, Ytse Jam), but I don't care for Charles' voice (though I don't much care for LaBrie either, but I don't despise him like so many do, at the same time), and the 80's sound is a bit to prevailent here (it was released in the 80's, so it's understandable, but I still don't enjoy it very much).

Awake has A Mind Beside Itself (Voices, Erotmania, and The Silent Man, for the uninitiated), but that's about it. The rest of the album has always sounded like filler to me, save for Space-Dye Vest. I never could get into any of the other songs on the album besides the ones I've mentioned.

A Change of Seasons (the song) rules. It's my favorite Dream Theater song, and one of my favorite songs, period. But there's only that on the EP. I didn't care for the covers/medleys. I can't rank it as high as an LP (even though it would place as high or higher than Scenes From A Memory), as it's just one song. Even though it's 23 minutes and awesome.

Falling Into Infinity-Dream Theater trying to go commercial. I love Trial of Tears, and Peruvian Skies is pretty good, but the band sounds really out of place on the rest songs. And the album is 79 minutes long. Ugh. Too much crap.

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence was very disappointing. On every level. There wasn't anything I really enjoyed about this album, and what's depressing is that the concept for the second disc was great, but it was done very badly, and what ended up on the disc was a 40+ minute train wreck.

Train of Thought is the second Dream Theater attempt to tackling a commercial sound, while still trying to maintain elements of their original sound. It's better than Falling Into Infinity, and it's better than Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, but it's still not very good. As I Am, This Dying Soul, and Endless Sacrifice are all pretty average songs (and LaBrie shouldn't try to imitate Hetfield; it doesn't work). It's a heavier (though not ultra-heavy) album, and the songs are slower, but they sort of plod along, and don't really go anywhere-they're just kind of there.

My two cents on the Dream Theater discography.

Thanks guys! After downloading a lot of your recommendations, I think I'm gonna start with Images and Words. Pull me Under sounds great, as does Under a Glass Moon. I couldn't download Learning to Live for some reason...oh, and am I the only one who loves the singer's voice? It just sounds so...powerful.

Do you really want to listen to this shallow, pretentious band?
Yes, why else would I ask? Though I don't find them to be shallow and pretentious from what I've heard...

Yeah, LaBrie's voice is amazing. I don't understand why almost everyone is so put off by it. Sometimes he seems to have trouble with those REALLY high notes but when he hits them right it sounds fantastic!

Blade Golem said:
It's quite simple; not everybody likes hearing a vocalist hit really high notes, it can sound pretty annoying.
... Ok.

Anyway, their show was amazing, 3 and a half hours of awesome musicianship. They really shine live.

If you want to try other songs, get Caught in a Web or Trial of Tears.

The Mirror is Dream theatre's best song... Train of Thought, their newest, is brilliant... Images and Words is their best work IMO though