Dream Theater's Octavarium

bloodbath666

Nov 30, 2004
Anybody, pick this cd up yet? I'd like to hear your opinions on it, I'm a huge dt/lte/ anything with petrucci in it fan. I hear there aren't that many solos on the record, which kind of sucks, because I really love john's solos, but his solo album suspended animation is out, so I guess I'll pick that one up to hear his solos. :headbang:

bloodbath666 said:
I hear there aren't that many solos on the record, which kind of sucks, because I really love john's solos, but his solo album suspended animation is out, so I guess I'll pick that one up to hear his solos. :headbang:

Solos or no solos, this album left me cold... Petrucci didn't excite me with his solos for quite some time actually, for what it's worth.
This album didn't get on my nerves like the last one, but didn't make me want to listen to it repeatedly either. I feel it's listenable, but average, with so much good music going on these days, I won't be spending much time listening to it... Hell, there's new Nevermore that owns big time! :headbang:
It seems that gone are the days when I was excited about DT's new album, the last one that impressed me was Metropolis pt.2 and they went downhill after that... Not a moment sent shivers down my spine on the new album, let's put it that way.

I hear they've been ripping off Muse heavily on the new album, but haven't heard Muse myself, so I cannot judge... If they really have done that, it's very lame of them to do so, since they're (or were?) able to pull of some of the most amazing songs I've ever heard.

I haven't heard it yet. I refused to download it in advance and I haven't been listening to any discussions about it because I don't want to form any opinions until I can spin it a few times. DT was always one of my faves, but SFAM was too overblown and 6DoIT was such a disappointment for me. I thought ToT, while not great, was at least a step in the right direction with shorter, more concise songs and slightly better songwriting. Regardless, Petrucci is just ridiculous and keeps on blowing my mind with every release. (Not like that Broderick guy. He sucks. :wave: )

~Christina

Zac said:
Does this album come with a limited edition pillow?

So funny I forgot to laugh! :)

I heard a little bit of this album, but I didn't hear too much guitar work. The vocals on the stuff I did hear sounded better than previous works IMO. I haven't heard a whole lot of DT, but this album doesn't sound too bad. But yeah, I'd rather pickup the new Nevermore.

metalgtr84 said:
I heard a little bit of this album, but I didn't hear too much guitar work. The vocals on the stuff I did hear sounded better than previous works IMO. I haven't heard a whole lot of DT, but this album doesn't sound too bad. But yeah, I'd rather pickup the new Nevermore.

If you don't have a lot of DT experience, later DT is not the place to start. Try "Images and Words" and "Awake."

~Christina

Stardust2112 said:
If you don't have a lot of DT experience, later DT is not the place to start. Try "Images and Words" and "Awake."

~Christina

I've heard Awake and in general I LIKE Dream Theater. Petrucci is a cool guy and totally shreds, but I never really got into his playing as much as a lot of other people.

Edit:

But that's just MY opinion. I also listen to these guys:

cover34.jpg

Some people happen to put emphasis on the music, but I am partial to chest hair and furry armor.

metalgtr84 said:
cover34.jpg

Some people happen to put emphasis on the music, but I am partial to chest hair and furry armor.

LOL. Nice. F the music. It's all about the greased-up pecs and chisled abs. Can we get Chris to pose in furry armour and knee-high boots? :D Bwahahahahaaaaa!

~Christina
P.S. Sorry, Chris. I couldn't resist.... :wave:

Stardust2112 said:
LOL. Nice. F the music. It's all about the greased-up pecs and chisled abs. Can we get Chris to pose in furry armour and knee-high boots? :D Bwahahahahaaaaa!

~Christina
P.S. Sorry, Chris. I couldn't resist.... :wave:

Zac - are you gonna help Stardust out with a little photoshop magic?

MetalSteph said:
You pussed out on me? Homo.

Don't give me any crap lady... :bah:

You'd be surprised what I can do with your head & a few Manowar photos :D

You can't get me back either...you dont even have photos of me to work with.

Do not taunt the master...or he shall striketh you down.

I just happened to get a rare photograph of Chris posing as a barbarian warrior:

(Note: He's happy because he's getting ready to decapitate everyone that has made photoshop images of him.)

To be fair, I included a picture of myself:

weird_al_2.jpg

I don't ACTUALLY play accordion, that was photoshopped in there. Did I say Photo Shop? I meant MS paint.

Wow, I just realized I suck at photo-editing.